Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shorne
Topic Author

My JPEGs look better than my RAW files

Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone else find that their JPEG shots straight out of camera (Sony full frame) are sharper, less noisy and generally better than their RAW files? I'm finding this when I view the files in Lightroom and even when I edit them. The difference is so stark, that I have to look at the JPEG filenames to pic the best focused images (because all the RAW files look awful untouched in Lightroom) and then edit those RAW files. Even the finished edited RAW files look worse than their final JPEG exports.

Is this normal? Do I have a weird camera setting or computer issue? Maybe I'm just a bad editor?

Thanks!

petertenthije

Re: My JPEGs look better than my RAW files

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:11 am

The RAW images are unprocessed. The JPG images are processed by your camera. Depending on the settings of your camera it adds some sharpening, colour- and levels correction.

HarryLi
Screener

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:43 am

Most of time JPEG does look better than RAW, however JPEG won't have too much space for you to do editing via whatever software you use especially for some extreme photographing conditions which include night shots, poor light, hard weather situation, and etc..
For me I always take Best Quality RAW with Mid Size JPEG when spot unless I am running out of memory for my Memory Card and the photography condition is suitable (sunny and cool day for example) so that I won't need to do too much editing later. For most of my photography situation (not limit to spotting) I will mainly adopt RAW and JPEG for backup instead.

Regards,
Harry

aquariuscancer

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:41 am