Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LLA001
Topic Author

Tips on "Common" comment

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:36 pm

I recently uploaded a photo of AN-225 taking off from Istanbul.

When I was shooting, aircraft took off very quickly so I was quite distant from take-off location ( I was outside of the airport about 4.5 kms from the take-off point). However my luck changed as the airplane passed directly over my head and I had a chance to shoot its underbelly.

I uploaded the photo and it was rejected due to "Oversharpened, low contrast and common." I have re-edited the image and send it again but my editing was not good enough so I was rejected due to " Overshaprened, low contrast and common" again but with a nice note from screener telling how I can I improve cropping. So I want to try to edit the third time with proper cropping and see if I can overcome oversharpened and low contrast issues during editing.

However I do not know how should I re-act to "Common" comment. An-225 is a unique aircraft and over a thousand photos of the aircraft in the database only 4-5 are underbelly photos in the air.

They had a special event at New Istanbul Airport that day and a lot of spotters had a chance to shoot the aircraft at the side of the runway while it was landing and taking-off and also at the tarmac. So there is a lot of images of An-225 shot from the inside of the airport during that day, so I was wondering if my image was selected "Common" not because of type and angle but because type and location of the aircraft?

If that is the case, should I not bother to upload the third time?

BWIAirport

Re: Tips on "Common" comment

Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:30 pm

Man, that's a tough one and doesn't seem all that consistent. How many WN 738s landing at LAS are in the database? Hopefully this gets pushed through. Seems very nitpicky.

jelpee

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:42 pm

The Acceptance Guide has an explanation for when the reason "Common" is used. I believe it should help clarify. Typically, if there are over 100 images of the registration/air-frame in the DB, the standards for acceptance are more stringent. In such a case, "Common" will be assigned as a supplemental reason for the rejection.

Jehan

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:37 pm

Hmm, not sure that’s right - a plane of which there is only one in operational existence shouldn’t ever get the ‘common’ tag IMO, regardless of the rules. It’s so common that I’ve never seen it.

Yes, I know a second AN225 technically exists, so I’ve narrowed my comment above to prevent nitpicking.

For the image we would have to see how it looks.

scbriml

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 am

cpd wrote:
Hmm, not sure that’s right - a plane of which there is only one in operational existence shouldn’t ever get the ‘common’ tag IMO, regardless of the rules. It’s so common that I’ve never seen it.

Yes, I know a second AN225 technically exists, so I’ve narrowed my comment above to prevent nitpicking.

For the image we would have to see how it looks.

While a unique frame (accepting your caveat), there are nearly 1,000 shots of it in the database. Personally, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to apply the “common factor.

Deepgreen

Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:39 pm

Well, it won't be common again.

exFWAOONW

Mon May 02, 2022 2:22 pm

Now you re-submit in the "historical" category.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Tue May 03, 2022 12:24 am

Hi

You can submit a correct as historical is defined as vintage and by date.