Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hellokumo
Topic Author

Has anyone mounted a camera from the exterior on a light aircraft for filming

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:35 pm

Hello,

I am a film student and would like to know how to best approach filming a small aircraft from the exterior. Anyone have experience mounting a film camera from the outside aiming at the cockpit window or other various locations on an airplane. What type of mount can be used? How can the camera be operated from inside the plane in such as case (start / stop? This will be in Canada, what type of safety protocols are we looking at? Vibrations? Aircraft would be a cessna 172 category.

Please share your experience, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

HowardDGA

Re: Has anyone mounted a camera from the exterior on a light aircraft for filming

Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:16 am

Most skydiving centers do this to film people's first jumps. I do not know if the mount needs an FAA TSO. But that is a reasonable place to start - i.e. people who are actually doing what you want to do.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Re: Has anyone mounted a camera from the exterior on a light aircraft for filming

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:20 am

Yes I've seen it in the glider category. Here is one I found though there's another who mounts the camera on the wing for cockpit shots and he is from Canada. Note they don't appear to be film cameras like you are asking but if you use the contact link maybe you can DM them and ask for some tips.

Paul

Austin90

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:45 pm

skingjack wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKASMw9b9B4

Unrelated but it's nice to see how well kept the plane is, considering it's 70 years old.

ehbowen

Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:02 am

You don't have to mount it, even. A Cessna 172 (very common light airplane, available for rent almost anywhere aircraft can be rented) will fly perfectly well with the passenger side door removed. I once wanted to take an instrument instruction lesson (actual IMC, although no precipitation) in the flight school's 172 but the last renter had used it for a photo mission and left the door off. My instructor said, "Don't let that stop you, let's go!" and we took off. Experienced no problems whatsoever.