hkg82
Topic Author

Upgrading from the Canon 7D

Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new body. Let me outline my existing setup first:

1). Canon 7D (primary)
2). Canon 700D (secondary)
3). Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS lens (the older one purchased in 2011)
4). Canon EFS 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens

I'm looking for a replacement for my 7D and I'm seriously considering the Canon R6 as it's gotten very good reviews in the areas of its compact size, image quality, burst speed & auto-focus. I intend to keep my existing lens setup.

Any other recommendations for a new body?

Question - I know that I can get an EOS R adapter to link my EF 100-400mm lens with the R6, would there any impact to image quality or other considerations I need to take into account here?

Thank you.

Barbro

Re: Upgrading from the Canon 7D

Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

Mostly what I HEARD, haven’t seen myself, is that with the adapter the quality drops noticeably. So just a rumour as far as I’m concerned, but from friends that I know know what they’re talking about. It has led me to consider updating the whole set, bodies and lenses at the same time. And with the prices where they are at the moment, that’ll have to wait…

aeromoe

Re: Upgrading from the Canon 7D

Tue May 02, 2023 7:27 pm

Barbro wrote:
Mostly what I HEARD, haven’t seen myself, is that with the adapter the quality drops noticeably. So just a rumour as far as I’m concerned, but from friends that I know know what they’re talking about. It has led me to consider updating the whole set, bodies and lenses at the same time. And with the prices where they are at the moment, that’ll have to wait…

Why would the quality drop with the adapter? There is NO glass involved. I bought a Canon R7 (mirrorless) in February 2023 and the programmable-ring adapter for my 24-105L (no point in using my longer glass with this body). I got some great photos of my grandson with it but I really haven't used the R7/adapter with any other glass (100-400L series 1, or my Tamron 150-600) and that's because I also bought the RF 100-500L. That has been my go-to setup: R7/100-500L for the past two months. So I can't speak from experience by using long focal length EF lenses with the R7+EF adapter. 100-500L is kinda 'slow' at f7.1 on the long end but I don't mind that loss of a stop or two.

I will tell you it takes a bit of getting used to the electronic viewfinder but there are settings you can use to minimize the effect. I have only shot at 15fps with mechanical shutter. I have been photographing airliners for over 45 years and SLR/DSLR vs Electronic Viewfinder is a definite crossover and takes time to adjust to, especially if you're tracking planes during takeoff and landing while firing off multiple images. It will take time to minimize the amount of throwaway frames if you frame tightly. You'll end up clipping nose and tail as you pan if you are framed too tightly...at least that's been my experience. You are not seeing the actual plane, but what the sensor is seeing so the subject may jump around in frame a bit as you track/pan with it.

OP: Good luck with your upgrades!