Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

What Aircraft "frustrated" You The Most?

Wed Oct 18, 2000 10:33 pm

There are some planes that seem to play tricks on you, right? You do everything, but you can't get the picture. One day is bad weather, the other is the wrong runway, one time the flight comes in early, the special colours never show up.... It happened to me recently in MXP with the Gulf Air A330 50th ann. Before with the SV M90 and with RAM 744
...but when you finally get them (in the right conditions) is one hell of a feeling!!
(this is more true if you don't have ramp access)
Does it happen to any of you? and for what plane?

regards
Federico

hias

RE: What Aircraft "frustrated" You The Most?

Wed Oct 18, 2000 10:44 pm

for me the most frustrating aircraft is the CL100 of Lufthansa Cityline with the special "little Europe"-markings. For some years now I have not seen this aircraft and I am living in Germany and visiting some German airports. As I was in Paris this August many CL100 of CLH came along our photoposition and this bloody "little Europe" also came in two times, but just used other taxiways and runways.

"Little Europe" sucks !!!!!

Greetings to all who have experienced the same

Mathias

Wed Oct 18, 2000 10:46 pm

Malaysian Airlines!

I saw one (744) in Schiphol as a kid, took a picture and it was totally blurred (the other plnaes I photographed from the same location were okay, not perfectly sharp but at least identifiable, that one -nope)

Then, years later in MUC, I went to the airport especially for a 777-200 - The camera refused to work just as it approached, when it reached the gate the camera was fine - but I could see it no longer.

Now I finally got me those pictures at LHR!

Scooter

RE: What Aircraft

Thu Oct 19, 2000 1:15 am

For me, it has to be the BA 744. It's not like there is any shortage of 'em here in southern California...I actually have loads of pictures these things. HOWEVER...I can't say that I have a really sharp and clean example of one. It seems something always happens: out of focus, bad light, underexposed, overexposed, jammed camera, etc. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something...

Good topic!  

-Scott
San Diego, CA

Dazed767

Powerpuff Girls

Thu Oct 19, 2000 1:24 am

Those stupid powerpuff girls keep sneaking in here at MCO when I can't get a pic.   The last time I was making my way over to the Delta runway (17), and they came in. If I would have left a few mins earlier, I could have gotten them.

exnonrev

Thu Oct 19, 2000 5:41 am

Definitely TWA's 727-231 N64339. (aka The Beirut Express) For four years when I lived in the STL area that one always seemed to elude me. If the weather was good for shooting and I had my camera and a fistful of K-64 with me, no sign of her. If it was raining or I didn't have my camera, 4339 would show up.

Finally during the July 4th weekend in '96 I was standing at my favorite spot at the approach end of 12R. A B-1B was lined up in full afterburner about to depart 12R (this was during the annual airshow on the riverfront) when the STL Airport Nazis came by to enforce their new policy of not allowing people near the fence. (talk about frustration!) I ran back across the street, glanced up and saw a TW 727 on short final for 12L. I quickly swapped lenses and sure enough, it was 4339. The shot was a little off-center, but it was still 4339.

A year later I got another shot of 4339 in the new TW colors.

Brick

Thu Oct 19, 2000 9:48 am

Air Tahiti Nui.

I spent thousands of $$$ travelling out to LAX to shoot it. It was either very cloudy, raining, or landing on the north side. Finally, my fourth visit to LAX I managed to get it with a camera that had its zoom lens busted just minutes before its arrival.

Not bad with a broken camera!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

There's a fifth visit to LAX next month for me. This time I have a newer, better camera. It will be mine this time!!  

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN

Granite

Thu Oct 19, 2000 4:51 pm

Hi all

My frustration comes out with the BAe ATP.

Many are seen in Scotland and I have to say, that over the years, I have have not got one single shot that I can say is good.

I personally think it is an awful aircraft to photograph and was easier when it was the HS748!

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

Cathay111

Thu Oct 19, 2000 6:07 pm

This is the plane that eluded me for so long....but I finally got it after a few years of trying!!!!

I hope to see it again so as to get better shots!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Craig Murray

Please come back to Sydney 521UP we miss you!

Cheers
Craig Murray

Thom@s

Thu Oct 19, 2000 11:53 pm

I happen to live on an island in Norway called Stord, and the airport here isn't too big. So most of the planes that come here, I've allready photegraphed. However, once I was going to snap a picture of a Saab-340 as it was landing. But as I opened the door from the terminal and was about to get in a good possition for he shot, I look in horror as the Saab rushes by me on the runway.

Belive it or not but the plane actually arrived 5 minutes early from Norway's biggest airport wich is known for it's delays.

I was able to take the picture later though. : )

Thom@s

Fri Oct 20, 2000 8:16 am

BMA (British Midland) blue/grey colour scheme.
How come I cannot get one good shot that looks
right, even in good weather. Not a photogenic airline.
Thank goodness they are in "StarAlliance"

Scooter

Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:25 am

Now that I think about it, here' a couple more:

United Airlines. UA takes first place in the "worlds smallest N-Number" awards. I almost need to look at my pics under a microscope to get the registration...

Also, TWA. Half the plane is white, the other is black...which confuses the hell out of my camera (most of the time). The only time I can seem to get a good picture of anything TWA is on a slightly overcast day.

-Scott
San Diego, CA

Sun Oct 22, 2000 6:12 am

Hi!
British Airways and Channel Express get my goat.
BA because of that 'old' ridicoulous (some) colourschemes only used for a couple of days and Channel Express beacuse of the livery and the speed at what they move!!

I was in Exeter the other day and I was flying home on the British European Shorts 360. There was a channel express F27 which went up and down for 5 hours and done circles around EXT airport, ALONG WITH a British Airways Shorts 360!! Is that hell or what - I hate those two airlines (not the sixes of aircraft love the SD360!)

As we went for take off they were still up and down like yo yos and the f27 being a cargo liner it's not as if all of the boxes inside are going to get up and look out of the window is it!!  

Regardz,
Marc.   it's enough to drive you