Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tpk
Topic Author

Grainy Slides

Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:09 am

I apologize if this topic has been covered earlier, but I have an extremely slow connection that makes it difficult to navigate through old posts.

In any case, I am wondering if there is anything other than the type/age of film that can cause slides to turn out grainy. I just got back 10 rolls of film taken on two bright, sunny days a few weeks ago and I am happy with the results (color, sharpness, etc.) except for the fact that when I scan and zoom them on Photoshop, it becomes clear that they are about twice as grainy as any other slides I have taken including ones that I took only a few weeks prior.

I always photograph with Kodachrome 64 and I haven't changed my camera, lens or anything else about the way I take the pictures. None of the rolls of film I was using were expired or had been in extreme heat.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what other than the film may have caused this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

Marco_Polo

RE: Grainy Slides

Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:10 pm

I have used Kodachrome 64 before and for a while until I have been introduced to FUGI Sensia, Provia, or Velvia. I have always questioned why FUGI and KodaChrome is so different and unforgiving when the condition is not right for taking pictures. I have been taught by one of the my photography professor that all films are not the same and each have their purposes. Kodachrome by no mean is a bad film but it has its disadvantage when it comes to exposure and lighting conditions if the setting on the camera is not correct. KodaChrome 64 is not design for aircraft picture since it speed is very low and extremely not sensitive to light if the exposure is not correct. In school KodaChome if not expose correctly can either make a picture more saturate dark in the blue and gray range or very grainy if these pixels are not given enough time to be develope by light. KodaChrome 64 will perform as you expected if the lighting condition is extremely bright. Most of the photographers on here you will find that they have move to FUGI films because of the aggressive nature of the dyes in the pixels of the film. These dyes are extremely color saturated and is very sensitive to lights. The reason is because of its speed at 100 and above and also the dye technology. Even if you compare KodaChrome 200 with FUGI 200 Sensia you will get two distince picture. KodaChrome will tend to be more saturated in blue and gray range or we would call it "Neutral" than FUGI. Although FUGI does not come with a sacrifice also that it will be somewhat grainy but when digitally scan you cannot really see a difference between FUGI Sensia 100 and KodaChrome 64. In anycase these are words of wisdom from a professor at Standford University. I had a similar questions like you when I first started using and testing different film. I was a PRO Kodak but sometime letting my favorism go will help make my judgment a lot better and not to be bias. Best of Luck - Sebastian Havorik