Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Lookin For Da_fwog Or ANY Other MAN Photogs

Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:55 am

Hi my name is KADDYUK and i am interested in your photos, I am hoping to get into aircraft photography but I have only a very cheap camera (£25) from boots, I would really like to get some advice from you as i relly like your manchester a/c photos, I have tried the bottom of the second runway from where a few of your photos are taken at MAN on the mound with no success and I was wondering if you could suggest a few places for me to have look at that may get me a few good pictures. ANY input would be appreciated.

KADDYUK
CEO BMIVirtual
http://bmivirtual.vt9.co.uk
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Jan Mogren

RE: Lookin For Da_fwog Or ANY Other MAN Photogs

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:44 pm

I sure hope you asked his permission before publishing his photo on your web site.
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

[email protected]

Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:07 pm

Besides the (c) issue the photo seems to have odd proportions as it is used
Peter
-

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:46 pm

I asked Da_Fwog (Chris Sheldon) If I could use the photo in question

I am in the process of removing the Airliners.net ©

Fredrik Hjort

Wed Nov 14, 2001 9:50 pm

Ok, you asked him but has he agreed yet?

/Fredrik

Sukhoi

Wed Nov 14, 2001 10:09 pm

On the subject of MAN how did you guys up there get on with the A346 today? Im glad you got F-WWCC too but I gather yet again you guys get the best weather  Sad

What is it with new Airbus and LHR the weather's always crap  Big grin

Cheers

Paul

Craigy

Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:00 am

Paul,
The sun came out just as the A346 had disappeared around the back of the airport buildings. It stayed out for when she eventually re-appeared and I got the shot I wanted as it rolled out past the tower.

Incidentally, it was late out and took off from 24L at 12.05 when operations should have been switched to 24R. If anyone was at the rotation spot on 24L, they must have been crapping themselves by 11.55.

Regards,
Craig.

chris28_17

Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:11 am

hey, im a "man" photographer... hahah

(i am so funnY)

C.

da Fwog

Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:32 am

I was NOT crapping myself! Anyway, your watch was fast - it took off at 11.55!  Smile

In fact, there was a film crew sitting by the new fire station when I went South of 24L (presumably to film it departing). They sat there until 11.15, and then an Ops Land Rover pulled up, they chatted for a couple of minutes, then they slung all their gear in the back of the car, and both vehicles set off back towards the northside. And I thought "oh, bother! It's obviously coming out after 12!" If I had trusted my instincts, I would have packed up and gone zooming down to another spot to shoot it, but I stayed put, and was rewarded with seeing the a/c depart on 24L 40 minutes later (I don't know what the film crew managed to get!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

The weather started out typical Manchester. Grey, misty and horrible as the -600 landed, and then all of a sudden brilliant sunshine all over the 24R threshold for the NEXT landing a/c, 2 minutes later!  Pissed Had a brief bit of sun as it taxied in (out of view of those at the Viewing Park!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy), but beautiful conditions for the departure.

There's about half a dozen shots currently sitting in the upload q. Wanna preview? You have to promise to click on the uploaded shot when Johan has processed it! I need the hits!  Wink/being sarcastic

Chris.

Aer Lingus

Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:37 am

GOD Chris !!!..............Whydya go and cut that nice looking winglet off Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Martin

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:14 am

thanx for that lovely A340-600 sighting at manchester but that still doesnt answer my questions PLEASE HELP ME. Thanx

KADDYUK

PS Did you hear about that bird strike on the new A346.
Yeah it was hit by the bird from behind  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

da Fwog

Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:45 am

Martin: I have plenty of other shots with the winglet on. Anyway, it's dead boring - just grey, and for shots taken from this kind of angle, keeping the whole wing in the shot makes it lopsided.

Kevin: sorry for not answering your question before. Any airport is a bit of a problem if you have a cheap point-and-shoot camera that doesn't have a zoom lens. Now, MAN is better than most, because you can get quite close to the action, but to be honest, you will still struggle to fill the frame. There are two spots I can think of where you can get very close to the aircraft. One is on the southside, overlooking the starter strip of rwy 24L. You might just about get acceptable shots of widebodies, assuming your camera has something like a fixed 38mm lens (which is fairly typical of cheap fixed lens compacts). Everything else will be a bit small in the frame.

The other spot is near the Airport Hotel, on Ringway Road (within walking distance of Terminal 3) - but only when the aircraft are departing on rwy 24R (which means between 12.00 and 15.00). This spot is definitely closer to the aircraft, but has the big disadvantage that the sun is always in front of you, so you won't get the best-lit shots from here. Aircraft lining up on rwy 24R will taxy right in front of you, so close that you can almost feel you can reach out and touch the winglets, especially of the widebodies!

Of course, there is also the Aviation Viewing Park - if you go and stand on one of the raised viewing mounds there and shoot over the fence, the larger aircraft will probably fill the frame as they taxy by - but will be much too far away when on the runway. Again, the sun is usually on the wrong side - for best results go after about 4pm... in May, June or July! (can you wait that long?)

These spots and others are described on my website (see my profile for the address).

Chris.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:24 am

Thanx Chris. I will try that. I have looked at your site and it is very interestin. I thank you for helping me and I am hopeing to get a DV Camera soon so I maybe able to get some nice shots (20x Physical zoom and 100x Digital) Hope that we could meet sometime (probabbly next year) And we could talk sommore, Have a nice christmas and I will speak to you soon.

Anyone else that has any advice feel free to post a message.
Thanx
KADDYUK

Staffan

Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:34 am

A DV camera will probably not be very good either, since they record at TV resolution which is much lower than the resolution on computers. I would either get a good Digital camera or a normal SLR and shoot slides.

Regards,

Staffan

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:39 am

Thanx for the advice staffan

KADDYUK

wietse

Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:10 am

Actually, it depends on wether the DV camera has special photographing options. A friend of mine, for instance, has a brand new Sony DV, with 2.2 megapixel photo capabilities, we are going to Schiphol on Friday to test its quality. Will let you know then!!

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

EGGD

Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:18 am

We have a Sony DV, a bit like Wietse's and the quality was pants  Sad I hope you have better luck!!!

GREAT photos Chris, makes me want the D30 more and more!!!

KADDYUK, best bet is getting either a cheap digital camera, or a cheap digital camera  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

Regards

Dan

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2001 7:18 am

Please keep the info coming I am finding it really usefull. But remember I am only 15 and I have a VERY Limited budget
Thanx

KADDYUK

Thu Nov 15, 2001 10:59 am

Better clean the house every week and take the thrash out every day and tell your parents you've been a really nice lad this year.. Tell them Christmas is near and that you want a new camera for Christmas...

It's worth a try ?  Smile

Morten

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2001 9:42 pm

LOL LOL LOL

Dont be funny!!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

wietse

Sat Nov 17, 2001 8:36 am

EGGD, you're right, it sucked, way to pixally.

I WANT AN EOS D30!!!

uhmmm, mom, dad...? Christmas is coming..... Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Wietse de Graaf