Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaFan9263
Topic Author

Stopped By The Police Taking Pictures

Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:01 am

Hey Everyone-
A couple minutes ago I just got back from the airport. We were taking pictures for about an hour, and suddenly get surrounded by 5 sherrif units. They questioned us for a while, then let us go.

They said that we should always get permission from landside operations.

Guess that we just have to keep trying harder to find good spots that arn't in "suspicious places".

-Alex Feher
[email protected]

Carlos Borda

RE: Stopped By The Police Taking Pictures

Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:03 am

Which airport Alex??

DeltaFan9263
Topic Author

Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:21 am

At SMF (Sacramento International).
-Alex

BO__einG

Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:25 am

Ouch!

Sacked at the SAC!!

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

nonrevman

Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:19 pm

Apart from MIA, it seems like most of the problems are coming from smaller airports. maybe they ae not as accustomed to photographers, thus they are more suspicious. Just a thought.

jderden777

Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:55 pm

regardless of airport size, photographers and spotters are getting hassled in many locations...
i've been run off from my local airport (TRI) which is out in the middle of nowhere...i've been told that aviation photography is illegal at ATL...it's a problem at a lot of airports...

i absolutely hate all this...i contacted MIA and wrote them an email detailing the fact that many people have been run off there and are not wanting to return...so far so good - my message was passed on to a director at MIA who also is an aviation enthusiast...

jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

chris28_17

Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:20 pm

i spent friday up at ORD, had a much more pleasant experience than last time, here is how it went down:

i was only approached by one cop, first thing he said was "you know i can arrest you for taking pictures"
i was very friendly with him, but i said "no, actually you cant"
"Sure i can, i just saw you taking pictures!"
I went on to explain that, yes, i was taking pictures and that i am a GSC for the airlines and am aware of all significant FAR's as well as being in photography and shooting on city property i know there are no city ordinances prohibiting shooting.

He was eating it all up, i dont know where it all came from but i had my shit together and i was damn good  Smile i finished off by telling him i understand his predicament and he was more than welcome to run a quick background check on me... Instead he just took a quick look at my ID's and told me "well then, i never saw you, if you get arrested you're on your own!"
he was really nice about it, certainly different than my last experience there.. (same exact spot too..)

CHRIS

yevgeny

Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:51 pm

Alex, that happen first time to you???
Nothing new for me! Last month I was stopped 6 times by NYPD and 2 times by FBI. All the time they search my car and my pocket. Usually story at JFK.

Yevgeny, New York.

BO__einG

Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:27 pm

I was approached by 3 airport people at YYC. Most ever in my lifetime of 30 minute time period.
2 were mean and even brought a Tow Truck which I saw it parked like beside my car.
3rd guy was directly from Airport. the people who sent the two guys earlier also contacted the third one.
\
The third guy, I have met earlier in the past, he told me ladders are allowed but make sure it is 3 feet away from fence.
He also told me that I should contact the Airport Duty manager or Security and Let them know that I will be around by giving information bout what I will be doing and what I will be carrying and etc to give the security folks a relaxing relief that I wont be the next Osama Bin Laden in the Korean Canadian version.

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

CO777-200ER

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:00 am

Here in MKE the cops are not a problem. Yesterday I was taking pics and a cop and marine car went right past us, they just looked at us weird and went there way.

5280AGL

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:56 am

Chris, where were you taking pics at ORD, the 22L lot?

LOT767-300ER

Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:30 am

I got stopped by a cop for taking pix of planes making their finals into ORD in a Forest Preserve. Crazy.....

DeltaFan9263
Topic Author

Spotter Permit Proposal--READ This

Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:01 am

Hey-
This is the guy that wrote the original message. As I checked up on it this morning, I can see that this is a pretty big problem with most of us. I thought about this last night.

What if someone really good in writing - there has to be someone out there that knows a good lawyer - wrote a proposal to the FAA? It would request that a certain FAA permit could be given to spotters/ photographers. Upon being issued, you would have your background screened and would get a photo ID. Maybe the applicant would have to bring a passport photo (or in the same format) to make the ID. The ID would also come with a small processing fee.

With that, that person would be allowed to spot/ and or shoot (photograph) at any US airport WITH PERMISSION. All photographers and spotters would have to abide by certain regulations that the FAA would set - such as we still wouldn't have ramp access without permission, ladders would have to be a few feet away from the fence, no distracting or interfering with airport regulations, etc...........

In that letter we could also include many names and addresses of aviation photographers from airliners.net to show that this is not just some wierdo writing the letter, but actually a lot of people.

I think that it is a good idea that would help us aviaition photographers out A LOT! If you like the idea, e-mail me at [email protected] or leave a message here. Give me your input.

-Alex Feher

chris28_17

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:16 pm

i was at 27R, which i proudly consider "my spot"  Smile

C

H. Simpson

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 pm

DeltaFan9263, that's an excellent idea and I thought of that before too, but honestly, do you think the FAA guys would care about about us, or they will just let the cops take care?

5280AGL

Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:55 pm

Chris -

Gotcha. I was just curious, because a cop was giving $hit for taking pictures from the gravel lot on Higgins last month. Another one of these vigilante cops who tries to tell you that photography is illegal.

This is how it went... :

Cop: You can't take pictures here
Me: Why not?
Cop: It is illegal
Me: No it's not
Cop: Yes it is, now I want you out of here right now.
Me: Actually, it is not illegal, maybe you should get your facts straight before speaking

At this point he demanded to see my ID and called it in to be "ran". He then said he was going to search my car...I said fine, but you are wasting your time. I then made the remark that he was trying to force a law that doesn't exist, therefore he could potentially be violating my civil rights. He responded, "not when it's a matter of national security." I just said "god, I love that excuse, it seems to give you guys the authority to do anything you want, all you have to do is say NATIONAL SECURITY". He really didn't say much after that, he basically got back in his car and left after he found out I was "clean". After he found out I was an airline employee and former FAA employee it seemed to shut him up REAL fast.

chris28_17

Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:59 am

HAHAHA... rock on man! it does seem to calm their nerves when i show my SIDA badge. "hell, if the FAA trusts me, why wouldn't you?"

C

DeltaFan9263
Topic Author

Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:01 am

Yeah-
I just wish that there was a way for us people that arn't FAA employees or don't have any special access could take pictures and spot too.
-Alex Feher

gocaps16

Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:13 am

Well, I might be spotting at FLL and MIA in May with my friend, Jonathan. So we will probably see some cops.

However, Jonathan just email the airport ops, airport cops about our arrival and photography/spotting at MIA and he also told them a possible ramp tour with the Sr. chief who is a spotter and perhaps he will give us the ramp tour. Keep my fingers cross.

Kevin/DCA

F27

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:31 am

I am glad that i live on he other side of the world where the photgraphy buisness is as normal. No hassels just shoot away till our hearts are content but we have a large lack of aircraft.

jderden777

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:40 am

Kevin (and anyone interested),
I just posted an "MIA Update" on the current situation there...looks like a ramp tour is kinda out of the question unless we make some good contacts there...

so i wonder who will want to join us.... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jonathan d.

"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

N509JB

Weldymania!

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:52 am

YOU ARE THE MAN CHRIS!!!  Big thumbs up

you totally did the right thing. i have a similar story about MIA this past weekend. Ill post that seperatly.

check it...

B

tpk

MIA Memorial Day Weekend

Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:33 pm

Jderden -

I'd be willing to join you guys in MIA. Keep me up to date with your plans.

Tim

CO777

Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:36 pm

Hey Alex, where abouts at SMF were you stoped at? I was at LAX over the weekend and had no problems at all.I spend 2 hours on saturday and sunday at Big Cargo. I guess the cops in Sacramento have nothing else better to do.
Jason Whitebird

Alaskaairlines

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:28 pm

I am getting a bit tired of this. Hope it stops!

-Dmitry

SJC-Alien

Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:59 pm

...You're biggest mistake was you didn't contact "the photographers" at LAX 1st.............. Yeah sure

Now you'll probably get 'scolded' by PLANEGUY for not asking them 1st....

SJC ALien