Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Goodbye
Topic Author

Dust On Prints

Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:11 pm

Hello,
I am having a little bit of trouble with dust getting on the prints and scanner. When I scan them, and sharpen the image, the little beasties start showing up everywhere. It seems this guy also has a bit of trouble with it:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Wilsam Cheung

I try using a dustless nylon cloth to remove as much as I can from the scanner and the print, but most of the time I resort to using the clone tool more than I should.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how do I reduce the effects?
✈︎

Goodbye
Topic Author

RE: Dust On Prints

Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:14 pm

Oh, and today is my one year anniversary on the forums  Smile
✈︎

tpk

Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:30 pm

I have had the same problem, but with slides. With a sensitive scanner, there is often not a lot that you can do. What I ended up trying was getting one of those pressurized air dusters used to clean electronic equipment. It works pretty well and you don't have to touch the photos/slides. I've heard a few stories of people who have had problems with these, but they've been ok for me. Other than that, you have it right with the clone stamp. Until I got my digital camera, that was my favorite and most used Photoshop tool. Hope this helps.

Tim

serge

Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:48 pm

I always use the smudge tool in Photoshop 6 and it works great, don't use it exactly like the name implies however  Big grin

...Serge

Rotate777

Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:32 pm

I usually use cloth to wipe it before I put it on the scanner. I guess there was dust on the scanner glass or something. Didn't really notice that when I uploaded it.

W.C

BO__einG

Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:34 pm

Q-tips.

I used a brush. those so called "photo" brushes and the bristles scratches every single one of my slide and negative.

But there is nothign i can do. Air brush doesnt get rid of dust like really stuck on..  Sad

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Joge

Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:31 pm

There are some things can be done after scanning (becaus it's impossible to avoit all the dust)...

On PSP7, try one of the next:

-Scratch remover

-push tool (here is what said about it in the help: Similar to Smudge, but does not pick up any new color.)

-Select area just next to the scratch/dust, copy and paste (as new selection) into the point you want.

On Photoshop 6, it's just copy and paste.

Also try the smudge tool on PS6.

These should be done before any sharpening.

-Joge
Bula!

TomH

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:25 pm

It is best to use compressed air on loose dust. This should be easily accomplished on prints. Ensure that you keep a plastic bag or other dust barrier around your scanner when not in use. If your problem is dust on a 35mm negative, you need a powerful loupe, at least 10X
to see it, and again, use compressed air to remove it. If, as Bo says, it is stuck on there and air won't remove it, there are various liquid solutions made for just this job. But it can be risky. I use 91% isopropol alcohol and a soft Q-tip. Test any technique on an image that you consider unimportant first!

If you are using slides, dust naturally collects around the perimeter of the image at the junction of film and slide mount. You must ensure the blast of air hasn't loosened more of that stuff and brought it out onto the image.

Good luck

[email protected]

Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:42 pm

I never use the "dustremoval" as it normally removes parts of the picture which are not dust.  Smile

A short trip to photoshop-land normally takes care of the business. Big grin

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"