Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Digital Domination!

Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:54 am

Okay is it my imagination or is it that every photographer who gets his hands on a digital suddenly turn SUPERB ? !

Just look at the most popular for the last 24-48 hrs.
13 out of 15 are digital.
10 of them off the D30 !Come on they're like Gold Dust !!!

Cheers,
Martin

LGW

RE: Digital Domination!

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:21 am

Well it allows a lot more experimentation so therfore better shots are bound to result.

"is it my imagination or is it that every photographer who gets his hands on a digital suddenly turn SUPERB "

My photos are not superb! But I am the exception to the rule, yes many ppl do become 'better' with digital

LGW

Scooter

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:23 am

Digital shooter = more apt to shoot anything (in any weather condition) with no worry about the cost of film.

Before I got a digital camera, I was too afraid to try night shots (too expensive to make mistakes!). But now, I'll pretty much try anything in hopes that I'll get lucky. If not, I'll delete it and try again for the next shot

-Scott
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

Scooter

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:27 am

Just thought of an example to my post above:

On a recent flight, I had a good view of the wing and the sunset. I ripped off about 80 HQ shots as the sun went down, and out of that session I kept the best 2. I would NEVER do that with film.

Digital kicks ass!

-Scott
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

da Fwog

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:34 am

Ahem. I just looked at the 24-48 hrs page and discovered over half the shots are mine...

[whistle]

Actually, I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with that Concorde shot (although I knew it was bound to generate plenty of hits). I've yet to get a digital shot of it that I'm really happy with - there's just something about the all white aircraft, plus the fine "British Airways" titles that makes it an absolute SOD to edit and keep sharp. I'm not happy with the way the titles have come out on that shot at all...

But Mr Watt is surely doing spectacular work with his D30 & new lens at ABZ at the moment. (He has a bigger one than me! Wink/being sarcastic) Really good crystal clear shots!

planenut

Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:25 am

I went digital about six months ago, and I found it just as hard to take photos with a digital camera as I did with a normal SLR.
Whether your take a photo of a aircraft with a Digital or SLR camera its a learning curve.

The good thing about the digital camera is a good photo dosen't lose any quality when you put it onto you P.C. But with a SLR you can loose some quality if you do not have a good scanner.

I think the reason it seems that photographers get better with a Digital camera is because it is easy to take a photo have a look at it straight away, then keep it or delete it, so you go home with every shot being of a satisfactory quality.

Steve.(G.B)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ckw

Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:48 am

I think there's is something in what Steve says - many good shots are spoiled by poor scanning/postprocessing - digicams certainly help here.

That plus motivation - I guess if you've just bought a D30 or whatever, you'll damn well get out there and take pictures!

Cheers,

Colin

(planning on joining the digi brigade soon)

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

serge

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:29 am

Big grin Yes, we all can see digital dominates this entire web site, my film SLR photos scanned with a flatbed have been stuck in the que for about two weeks, never even received a single e-mail!

I suppose they are in Johan's hands then?... please clear up...

...Serge  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Sukhoi

Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:15 am

Dan,

Just because somebody has a digital doesnt make them superb, all a digital does is as Steve and Colin have pointed out is to make it easier to get a shot on the net.

I still take plenty of crap shots Big grin But using a digital does make it easier to learn as you can see your results straight away and learn from them, well sometimes  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers

Paul

EGGD

Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:45 am

I think his name is Martin... Big grin

thomasphoto60

Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:54 am

While I am still stuck in the prehistoric film arena, I certainly do see where digital does have an advantage over film at least for web purposes.

I was for a time seriously looking at buying the D-30 or even the EOS1D, but after talking to a number of publications as well as the 2 agencies that I work with about digital, I came to the conclusion that at least for the next 2-3 years film (slide) will still be the preferred medium of choice most publications (newspapers and wires are a few exceptions as almost all have moved over to digital) as well as stock agencies. While most were impressed with the rapid advancements in digital imagrey over the last 2 years or so, still they were cool to the ideal of buying or accepting digital files....at least for the near future. they did however acknowledge that film's days are probably numbered as far as being the preferred medium. Personally, I believe that in say some 10-15 years hence, color film will be where B&W is today, a medium more for the artistic shooter.As for me, well at least until Canon produces a camera with a high enough MPs say 9 or 10 and magazines, stock houses start warming up to digital, I'll stick with film. Hopefully this camera will not be to far out of reach of my meager budget. Wow!

Still, I must be doing something right, I still have a 95% successful upload rate here. Smokin cool

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Sukhoi

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:51 pm

Dan + Martin

It was late guys, way past my bedtime  Big grin

Cheers

Paul

da Fwog

Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:40 am

I think digital also opens up new opportunities. I can take shots at longer focal lengths than I did before, and I'm more willing to take shots that might turn out terrible, or just not work at all. I don't subscribe to the idea of taking pictures then deleting what I don't like while I'm out - the only pictures I "bin" as I go along are those where I manage to get a tree in the way, or that kind of thing.

There is another aspect to this however: I spent so much on my camera gear last year that I couldn't afford to travel to foreign airports for photography. This meant I was limited to places where I has already taken a huge number of photos of most of the regular traffic. This in itself encouraged me to be more creative, to do something different with subjects I had photographed before. So, you see, having no money has improved my photography!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

tpk

Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:19 pm

I had been taking aircraft photos for over ten years when I switched to digital a month ago. In all the time prior to switching, I never was able to generate even one slide that I thought was of high enough quality to post on Airliners.net. While my recent photographs are a long way from being excellent, the EOS D30 has certainly helped me improve my results.

Aside from the ability to experiment with different shots without the expense of film, which I am sure will pay off in the long term, shooting with the D30 has taken care of some big problems for me:

1) unexplainable and inconsistent film grainyness that I would get using Kodachrome 64

2) getting slides back from Kodak with scratches across many of them

3) having to waste hours digitally editing dust off of scanned slides before I can even think about editing color/contrast, etc.

I have to say I felt uneasy about parting with the amount of money that the camera costs (about 2000 USD), but looking back on it, I think that it is the best purchase I have ever made. To anyone who can stretch just a little to get this camera, I highly recommend it. (check Cnet.com for reviews and price comparisons)

Glenn

Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:57 am

Hey I was always good before I got the Digital  Wink/being sarcastic

Seriously, I had the opportunity to do some AIr to Air on the weekend of a Dragon Rapide and a few other aircraft. I am now spoilt as the quality of the print film over the Digital images (I used Both) is not that good. The digital are just so much sharper and the colours more consistant.

mikephotos

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:03 am

1) unexplainable and inconsistent film grainyness that I would get using Kodachrome 64

A perfectly shot K64 slide should provide the same grain consistency in each image. While not being a film with the least grain, it certainly is capable of very large high-quality prints and a.net acceptable scans.

2) getting slides back from Kodak with scratches across many of them

I haven't had this problem in over 6 months. At least here in NY, the quality has greatly improved.

3) having to waste hours digitally editing dust off of scanned slides before I can even think about editing color/contrast, etc.

I spend about 10-15 seconds on each scan doing this. If you scan a clean slide you get a clean scan.

Michael

USAir_757

Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:49 am

Digital domination????????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
-Cullen Wassell @ MLI | Pentax K5 + DA18-55WR + Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

tpk

Mikephotos

Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am

Michael,

I agree that your response to my first problem should be the case. I've even brought slides to a professional photographer and the best explanation he could offer was maybe the film went through the X-Ray machine too many times. I would have liked to have sent you one to get your opinion on what, if anything, I was doing wrong, but I've gotten rid of them.

Shooting digital is just my preference now since it has helped me resolve those problems. I admire people who are able to get good results with slides since I never was able to.

Tim