Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

joe pries

RE: Long Queue And My Suggestion

Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:42 am

gotcha S2. for now im holding off on uploading any more to alleviate Johan's pain- though ive got a ton of nice stuff from my florida trip (i only shot 3,000 slides) so im looking forward to sharing with y'all.

Joe

[email protected]

Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:03 am

What comes to my mind is the following:
What happens if you have something new (airline, livery, whatever) and you upload it and mail the screeners about it. Just in case its new enough to be added immediately will all the other pictures sitting around from the same uploader be added at the same time, or will they be stuck at the end of the queue??

Even more interesting is. What happens if its not hot enough to be added immediately? Will the pictures be at the end of the queue??

Should we mail the screeners first about the (maybe hot) subject and wait for their answer or upload it under a different upload name to avoid getting the others to the end of the queue?

I mean you never know whats hot enough to be added. Sometimes a new sticker is worth to be added immediately and sometimes not?

Admin? Screeners? Anyone?
THX
Peter
-

AviationIvi

Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:08 am

good question, Peter!

Glenn

Sat Feb 09, 2002 5:09 am

That's what I asked before Peter, but all I got was a response that there were 30 HQ shots in the Q  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Oh well, we'll seee how they answer you  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Glenn

Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:33 am

Peter, Glenn,

Sorry I missed that question earlier.

At the moment, the only person who can go into the queue and pull out certain pics for special treatment is Johan. We screeners can only act on somebody's e-mail about some special picture if we just happen to get it the next time we request a bunch of pictures to screen.

In answer to the next question I hear coming, yes, I think it's something that should be addressed ASAP. I'm going to pop an e-mail to Johan now to ask hime to read this thread, if he has not already.

S2

[email protected]

Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:54 am

Big thumbs up
-

ronen

Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:38 pm

sometimes i think this a photographers site and not an aviation site. here is my suggestion - add another flag to the photos screened or un screened (so the perfectionist can sort them - oh lights are a bit off ,the lines are somewhat blare ... oh god) for the rest off us let us see everything.

[email protected]

Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:33 pm

BTW looking at the photostats page it is still saying
--
"...before you in the queue (the number of photos may increase, not the number of photographers)...."
--

Shouldnt this be

--
"...before you in the queue (neither the number of photos nor the number of photographs may increase)...."
--

now?
Peter
-

cfalk

Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:54 pm

You're right Peter. I'm actually quite happy with this change, as it means that those numbers now actually mean something.

But then again, I have a backlog of about 400 pictures I want to upload. If I send in 20 or 30 per day, and keep getting tossed to the end of the line, eventually I'll have one HUGE batch all uploaded at the same time, in a few weeks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

LGW

Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:11 pm

Same with me Charles. I uploaded about 10 a week or so ago and no word yet. I am waiting because I too have a lot to upload. Im going to DUB tomorrow, BOH/SOU and LGW this week so I will have more to upload but as you say I cant upload them or I will be waiting till christmas to find out about their status

LGW

[email protected]

Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:04 pm

@Charles:
Are you really sure you will have to wait that long ? Big grin

Peter
-

cfalk

Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:38 am

I'm in the same queue as everyone else, as far as I know.

Charles

Staffan

Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:44 am

Charels, to make it more interesting, why not upload 1 a day, and see if you can keep the shots in the queue for a whole year? Big grin

psa188

Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:32 am

I don't think this new system is helping. I uploaded 3 photos at the end of January, and just checked "photo stats" today and got the following:

"There are a total of 2658 photos waiting to be processed on the upload page. Of those, 3 are yours.
19 photos and 10 photographers are currently before you in the queue (the number of photos may increase, not the number of photographers)."

That's about the same message I got a week ago, and I've uploaded nothing since. What's up?

EGGD

Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:40 am

PSA188 - are you kidding!? Thats extremely fast compared to a couple of months ago, jeez 17 days Big grin

CX Flyboy

Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:10 am

Two days ago, I uploaded my very first photos. I am still waiting for them to go through.

Last night a friend uploaded some photos and they are already up. Neither of us had any photos in the queue.

Can someone please explain?

chris28_17

Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:51 am

I'm in the same queue as everyone else, as far as I know.

Hmmm... and why wouldn't you be?  Big grin

CHRIS (aka. sherlock)

EWRvirgin

Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:15 am

How do you check photo stats?

cfalk

Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:37 am

EWRvirgin,

Go to the "Add Photos" page, and scrollabout halfway down, and you'll see a link called "Check your photo stats!" Click it.

Charles

EWRvirgin

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:16 pm

Hey! I tried it and I got a "email missing or not found"! What gives?!?!?

fuairliner

Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:27 pm

EWRvirgin,

the Photo Stats page only works if you already have photos in the main database (see the note below the e-mail field):

Note: This only works if you already have photos in our main database.

Kind regards,

Smile/happy/getting dizzy FUAirliner
(Frank Unterspann)
Frank Unterspann - Hamburg, Germany

jderden777

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:04 am

i don't see why it can't just be first come first serve...i don't see why it wouldn't be such a big deal just to process the photos in the same order that they were received...

and what about those special photos? so now if you have a couple photos in the queue, and then a few weeks later (while they are still in the q  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) and get something hot and brand new, then all the photos get pushed back so that it is weeks before they get screened??? how is THAT fair?

i think this new way of screening makes people want to upload a huge batch of photos at once...and not spreading them out over some period of time, as the photos will constantly be moved to the back of the line...

somehow i think this might end up doing more bad than good for a.net...there are a lot of sites that have the hot new stuff posted up days or sometimes even weeks...this kinda defeats itself...

just my measly $.02
jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

Joge

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:11 am

Digital cameras rule... You can have your photos to A.net only in some... weeks... Maybe... If they pass the screening.  Big thumbs up

-Joge
Bula!

Staffan

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:05 am

I agree, I had a photo of the new Brussels Airlines, uploaded it, sent a mail to admin...still a week after it hasn't been uploaded, neither has any other photo of this airline. By the time they get added, they will be old news, and who wants that?
I understand that Johan has been busy recently, but why not give the screeners the ability to dig out these special shots from the queue and add them? A.net is still the number one aviation site, but at the speed it's moving now, I fear that it won't be long until that changes.

Staffan

joe pries

Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:39 am

well i have about 950 scans backed up to uplpoad but as johan has said, he is experiencing server issues so its best for all to relax on uploading for now to take some pressure off until the problem is resolved.

Joe

Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:57 pm

Steffan, and all others who have sent e-mails about new c/s planes,

As has been stated before, the screeners can't hunt down and add a picture - only Johan can do that. Unfortunately Johan has been very busy trying to get his new server to work, and rarely looks at his queue duties.

I agree that things are frustratingly slow, but the good news is that the new server appears to be taking hold. I have not seen any crashes in the past few days, we have been doing screening during peak hours without problems, and in uploads that I have made lately, none were "lost" as was happening frequently before with up to 50% of uploads.

S2

sabenapilot

Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:17 pm

I see the problem Johan, but still I agree with Saffan,

Would it be possible to take some uploaded pictures like for instance pictures of new airlines, new planes, new liveries etc. out of the queue and give them priority over the regular pictures?

What's the point in giving the 200+ AA B767 automated priority over let's say the very first picture of SN Brussels Airlines, the new Belgian flagcarrier set up to replace Sabena? The first SN plane has been repainted more then a week ago and still not a single picture is available! When I read that the first plane was repainted, I naively thought it would only be a matter of hours (or maybe one or two days) to see it here on line, yet I now am beginning to understand all the complaints about airliners.net made by people who I untill recently considered 'spoiled' users.

I am sure that most people on this forum think the same way and are more interested in seeing something new rather then yet more of the same. Don't you think too that the first Swiss A320 has had more views then le'ts say a United A320 posted the very same day?

Now don't worry, I have found a nice picture of the first SN Brussels Airlines RJ100 picture which I use as my wallpaper via a different site thanks to a hint for you Saffan.
However, mid April we'll have the first SN Brussels Airlines A330 here with us in Brussels, and of course I'd love to set that one on my computer too, yet as things look now it might be very well mid May before the first picture of that one is posted here.

aviator100
Editor

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:13 pm

"well i have about 950 scans backed up to uplpoad..."

Joe,
Maybe you can act as your own screener and select the best 10% out of your 950 scans. Are they all excellent or special or new in the database?

Regards,
Ad

aps

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:40 pm

Well ..... i have uploads waiting and have NO idea whatsoever if they get accepted or rejected , as i changed my email over a week ago and am still waiting for comfirmation of that !! i cant receive mail at all from my previous mail address

any news screener 2 ? anyone ..... please

Smile

joe pries

Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:14 pm

Ad,
I always act as my own screener and never ever upload stuff thats gonna waste my, the screeners and the viewers time, so no, i cannot take the best 10% as to me every shot i take i try to make the best i can.

Joe

Sukhoi

Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:34 pm

Joe

Upload them all in one go Big grin

Regards

Paul

joe pries

Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:51 pm

Paul,
when i receive assurance from Johan that the server is working properly i will go ahead and upload a crapload of em (not all 950 at once though  Smile

to all the people who are doubting ainet right now- its the same thing with the stock market, when its down and people are losing money the get out, they get frustrated- but when the market rebounds, everyone is happy, giddy, and wants back in. i'm treating ainet like i do my 401K- patiently- frustrating at times, but patient

Joe

aviator100
Editor

Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:35 am

Joe,
I will be happy to see all 950 of them.
Regards,
Ad

joe pries

Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:53 am

and i'd be happy to share them with you Ad, but theres no way im uploading a ton and having a whole bunch disappear into thin air- the day Johan sends the message that we're back on track, i'm gonna put up atleast 50 shots- and im looking forward to that day

Joe

cfalk

Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:28 am

Hi Joe,

I uploaded 98 in one go when the new server had been online for a few days. All made it. (a few rejections, but no "Twilight Zone" disappearances).

Charles

joe pries

Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:32 am

thats encouraging news Charles. so screeners/johan, is it safe to go ahead and upload again?

Joe

cfalk

Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:11 am

Go for it. Has anybody had any mysterious disappearances in the past week or so?

Charles

Dazed767

New Screeners?

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:29 am

When do you expect to get new screeners?

Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:29 am

Dazed--

Johan sent us an email with the selections, and a question asking if we had any complaints. As of 0030 Z, nobody had any...I'm guessing he'll email these people tomorrow...