Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flpuck6
Topic Author

For The Millionth Time...EWR...

Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:37 pm

Hi everyone--

Actually, I'm kind of hoping EWRVirgin reads this because I looked back through the threads to find info on contacting the PA at EWR and EWRVirgin said he was going to look into a contact there...was just wondering if you had any results?

But I am travelling through EWR on the afternoons of the 12th and 22nd of March, with CO. I picked my connection on purpose so that I could settle myself at gates 83-86 or so for some photography.

Because I am very much aware of how sensitive people might be of an albeit innocent phtoographer, I would like to contact the PA of EWR to ensure photography may be ok.

Thanks,
-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

aps

RE: For The Millionth Time...EWR...

Mon Feb 18, 2002 10:49 pm

I have just been at 80's gates all the way down...... you can take pictures ( well nobody quized me ) .

the only problem with the gates is reflections !! also if you like Continental aircraft this is the place for you as 99% of the photographic chances are CO aircraft.

See what EWRVirgin comes up with for you , but from what i saw there should not be a problem.

Cheers Aps

flpuck6
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:12 pm

Hey there Aps---

Are you speaking from very recent experience? Because I, too, have taken many shots from the 80's gates down there, indeed a great spot, and those reflections can be avoided. A few examples:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Liao

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Liao

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Liao

Bonjour Chef!

EWRvirgin

Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:10 am

Hi Chris,

I indeed got in contact with the PA (went to their admin. building). I was asked to leave my name and phone number. Its been quite a few weeks already and have had no reply from them (keep in mind that I work at EWR and this has failed to grease the wheels).

The PA claims that photography anywhere on the airport of aircraft is against FAA regulations. As far as I know, this is false. I've taken it upon myself to go ahead and photograph anyway. If the PA itself has a problem with photography, it should say so outright and not beat around the bush.

As a passenger transitting and such, you shouldn't have a problem within the terminals unless you run in to some over-zealous law-enforcement officer. Just don't take pics of checkpoints or any pics with these in the background.

tpk

EWR Last Weekend

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:20 pm

Chris,

I was at EWR last Friday and Saturday and had the following experiences:

I arrived on Friday and immediately called the Port Authority Police (as I had planned to do) to let them know who I was and what I was going to be doing. They said that they would send an officer out to meet me. Two officers showed up and after about 15 minutes of me trying to get the point across that my photography is a hobby (I still don't get why this is so hard for people to understand), the less sympathetic of the two told me that although photography is not illegal, if he were to receive a call about me from a concerned passenger, he would regard my presence as a "nuisance" and would have to "remove" me because of that. He asked me to not take photos but said that he wasn't going to stop me.

After that, I shot from the windows by the food court in Terminal B for about 2 hours, each time putting my camera back in my bag following taking a photo (personally, I think this seems more suspicious, but it helps minimize the chances that passers by will see the camera in my hands).

After getting the less than enthusiastic response from the PA cops, I returned on Saturday and shot for 4 hours from the same spot and no one approached me even once. It may have helped that I was hiding behind a group of pay phones.

My opinion, just take your chances and shoot. The more stupid incidents with cops that I have and hear about from others, the more persistent I am becoming. Good luck.

Tim

EWRvirgin

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:26 pm

Hey Tpk,

I'm interested in seeing those photos if you have 'em posted somewhere.

tpk

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:36 pm

EWRVirgin-

With the high rate of rejections recently, I'm not sure if right now if any of them are good enough to upload. The sky in most of the photos from Friday turned out to be mostly overcast, which is a shame since I got some shots of the Singapore Airlines Megatop. I'll see what looks good after I finish editing them all.

I used to live in Jersey City and I am kicking myself for not looking into this back then, but I am convinced that there has got to be a good vantage point on the approach path from the North like a hotel lot or something that is sufficiently far from the perimeter to avoid the whole police hassle. Do you have any suggestions?

EWRvirgin

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:45 pm

Tpk, I'll email you with one.

tpk

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:47 pm

Thanks. Man, I wish I could get a good shot of that 757-300. Mine from Saturday came out awful!

EWRvirgin

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:54 pm

It can be frustrating. At the end of the day I might have only one pic that I'm satisfied with.

tpk

Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:08 pm

EWRvirgin-

I just emailed you one of my Singapore 744 pics to the address in your profile. Let me know what you think.

Tim

airplanenut

Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:02 pm

I just emailed the PA and was told that the monorail is a perfect place to take pictures (in terms of no police trouble)

[email protected] is the guys email... really nice.

Jeremy

PS- Was going to go this week, but couldnt :-(
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

EWRvirgin

Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:15 pm

The problem with the monorail is the dirty windows and trying to hold the camera steady. The stations are even worse as the glass is extremely reflective.

It seems the PA has been more receptive to some of you than to me! And I work there!! Sheesh!

Anyway, good luck to all.

Tpk, I just emailed you.

regards
Fernando

da Fwog

Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:15 pm

The monorail? I was accosted in one of the monorail stations by a member of staff within 2 seconds of taking my camera out of the bag, in her haste to inform me that photography was prohibited!  Pissed

flpuck6
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:35 am

Hey Jeremy (Airplanenut)--

That's great you got a nice correspondance from that guy at the PA. Did he specifically say it was "OK" to take photos? If so, I'm going to go ahead and contact him to have some "proof" on me should I need it when I transit through there in March.

Hey Chris, seriously, how much authority does a "member of the monorail staff" have??? What's her job supposed to be? To assist people on the monorail? Right, I thought so  Big grin

This is quite the informative thread...thanks guys.
Bonjour Chef!

764ER

Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:46 am

I hit the monorail last week. No problems and the windows were clean. The staff was looking at me funny when they kept seeing me getting on and off the trains. I put the camera back in the bag when we were at the stations. But nobody bothered me. I just wish it would get stuck in the middle of the terminals for a while.

I didn't try to take any pictures from the terminal stations, though. And the monorail is best in the afternoon.

EWRvirgin

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:57 am

Da Fwog,

Its not prohibited anywhere in the terminals with the exception of security checkpoints. The problem is ordinary people (and actually some law enforcement) get a little over-zealous.