Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

What You Get With A Point And Click

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:44 am

This is a photo I have just uploaded. I dont think it will be accepted but It is worth a try. Tell me what you think and please give me some tips for next time I take some. Most have turned out too bright and/or low quality (it might be the scan though) Please tell me what you think.

http://members2.photofun.com/kaddyuk/HQiTOOLImageGallery/allman1%2Ejpg

Especially The Fwog please, I took everything you said into account  Smile

Thanx
KADDYUK
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

[email protected]

RE: What You Get With A Point And Click

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:00 am

Hi!
Well i am not da_fwog ( I guess you mean him), but here are my thoughts.
I think you are right, it wont be accepted. Reasons:
1.) blurry
2.) Nothing seems to be really in focus
3.) the US A330 to the right is cut off.
My 2€cent
Peter
-

fuairliner

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:01 am

Kevin,

you won't succeed in getting anything accepted here that was shot with a cheap point-and-shoot camera. These cameras just don't offer the quality that is needed to get a good scan.

If you look at your shot, it's just far too blurry, maybe caused by the camera itself, but also by the fact that it was scanned from a print.

Conclusion: No chance with point-and-shoot cameras.

Try to invest in a cheap SLR and you'll might succeed in getting photos uploaded to the database.

Frank
Frank Unterspann - Hamburg, Germany

Staffan

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:10 am

*Blurry
*Taken into the sun
*What is the subject?
*Not level

If you don't know exactly what you are doing, always take photos with the sun behind you. That is the best way to start getting good photos.

Hope that helps,

Staffan

Blackhawk

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:19 am

Uhhhh What the hell is that ?
Did you honestly think that would stand an iota of a chance ? What is the subject ?

fuairliner

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:28 am

*Taken into the sun

On an overcast day? Look at the shadows made by the aircraft. Big grin

Frank
Frank Unterspann - Hamburg, Germany

Staffan

Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:37 am

Frank, after hitting the post button (twice), I realized that I was going to be misinterpreted by someone Big grin

Even though it's cloudy, the photo seems to be taken towards the brighter part of the sky (where the sun would be visible on a cloud free day BTW).

Hope that makes me look less stupid  Laugh out loud

Staffan

2912n

Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:49 am

Pick a specific subject. Just one airplane to focus on. This is just a genreal ramp shot with nothing to draw the veiwer in. There are some ramp shots that work, as when two a/c are on a collision course etc....But genreally you should just concentrate on one airplane.

Even with a basic point and shoot you can develop the skill and the eye for it. Go to a small airport or an aviation museum. (Britain has some of the best of those!) This gives you the opporrtunity to get up close and compose the shot. Take your time and play with different views etc...See what you like. Show the photos to others. When you have this skill developed then work on stuff at big airports.

DON"T GET FRUSTRATED! ENJOY taking photos and exploring. My 2 cents....Tony

Dazed767

Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:04 am

Whoa, chill out there blackhawk. Yeah, point and shoots won't cut it, the quality is bad.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:08 am

Thankyou for these comments, You are really helping me !!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

I am hoping to get a job soon, and I will purchase the best digital camera I can afford!!
(I am only 15) Cant survive on paper round wages.
Thank you. You have relly helped me to understand what I need to get recognised thanx!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Kaddyuk

Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

2912n

Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:40 am

Kaddyuk-

Before you go off buying a digital with your hard earned money....I would suggest you go find yourself a decent used SLR and a good lens. Try shooting some film first before you jump into digital. Digital can save you the $ (can't find the pounds key...) in developing costs. But good digitals have a steep learning curve and some annoying things like shutter lag that are just extra added hassles. Learn with film, take a photo class at school or through a photo shop. It will be money well spent. You can learn to develop and print b&w and really learn the craft, plus have a bunch of fun at the same time. Then take a class on photshop or other editing software before you jump into the digital world.

Happy shooting. T.

Craigy

Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:50 am

If you are going the film or slide route, remember that good scanners don't come cheap.
Regards,
Craig.

apuneger

Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:11 am

Although the picture might not be upto Airliners.net standars (don't worry Kaddyuk, mine aren't either for one reason or another...) I think it's nice to see another kid starting to take aviation picture. I think he should need some encouraging (as most of you already did, by the way).

We have to be honest; the picture quality is rather bad, bu I can imagine the excitement you must have had when taking this picture. Unfortunately, the excitement doesn't get on the picture, never has and never will (according to me), but now I'm starting to talk rubbish, so I'll stop.

Just explore this amazing website (well, explore the whole Internet maybe) and you'll learn much more about aviation photography. I know I did...

Just continue to explore this fascinating hobby!  Laugh out loud

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography