Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

What Happens When Your Camera Dies

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:40 am

I was out photographing a rugby match in the rain today and after about 35 mins the camera completely froze, no shutter, no meter reading and it wouldnt turn off at all. After a while i put it under a hand dryer and it half came back to life. Meter reading and motor drive returned as well as the ability to turn on and off but now I have no flash, shutter or Autofocus funtionality. Its currently drying off now but if anyone can give me any advice as to what to do next I'd appreciate it.
Is my camera dead for good or repairable or do I even need to get it repaired and just wait for a day or two?

Thanks,
Martin

EGGD

RE: What Happens When Your Camera Dies

Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:50 am

It goes to Camera heaven of course! silly you  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Sinlock

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:04 am

I go to my trunk and get my other camera.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:05 am

Dampness can affect the electronics. Also it can drain your batteries faster due the lower insulation.
Possibly the batteries when you can and keep your camera in a drying cupboard (or similar thing) that has a gentle warmth meantime.
Shouldn't apply 'direct heat' from a hairdryer.
Check tomorrow and see if functionality has returned.

Gerry/EDI

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:06 am

I mean:
Change the batteries.

cfalk

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:33 am

"What Happens When Your Camera Dies"

LOL! I can just imagine someone digging a hole in their back yard, to bury the thing with a little gravestone and everything.

Gerry is right - unless you have a camera that is properly sealed for this kind of weather (the Canon EOS 1v has pretty good seals), shooting in this kind of weather is likely to cause you problems.

Hopefully, if you let the camera dry completely over a few days (remember, the inner parts will take a LOT longer to dry than if they were out in the open), put a new battery in, it should be OK. However, ther is a risk that corrosion (rust) might settle on some of the inner components.

I would wait a few days to let the whole thing dry, and then try it out. If it still is messed up, take it to the dealer, tell them what happened, and ask them to send it to the manufacturer for strip-down and cleaning.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Skymonster

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:22 am

Moral of story: do not allow camera to get wet in first place - either operate it under cover, or don't bother with photography.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

Staffan

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:25 am

If you do decide to bury it in your back yard, make sure you remove the hazardous batteries first.  Big grin

I've had a few close ones, when my camera has been pretty wet, but it has survived so far, hope yours does too!

Staffan

aps

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:51 am

well ... what happens is ................. drum roll !!!!!!!!

you go back to using a film camera !

Big thumbs up

Wink/being sarcastic

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:52 am

Well Andy I had most of it covered in a plastic bag, like all the press photogs but it still got wet

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:53 am

Errrrr...............it is a film camera  Yeah sure

LGW

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:06 am

Thanks for those words of wisdom Dan, im sure Martin is really chuffed now Big grin

Martin, what where you doing @ a rugby match? wrong shaped ball and all that!

You better get that new camera soon Marty!

LGW

ckw

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:08 am

Take lens off camera and open back, remove pentaprism if possible and leave to dry out slowly in a dust free place. A bag of silica gel placed with the camera in a box should help. I wouldn't try replacing batteries until you've let things dry out properly.

Give it a week before you go running to the repair shop - this will be a very expensive option.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

PPGMD

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:29 am

Well congrats you have an expensive paper weight.  Smile

Just give it a few days.
At worst, you screw up and die.

thomasphoto60

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:37 am

If its dead, then there is very little you can do other than send it off and have it repaired and that maybe (depending on what type of camera you have) more than what the camera is worth. You might be able to by a decent used model for the same price of a repair job.

If you can afford it one day you might want to consider a pro level camera like the EOS 1 or 3 series or the Nikon F5 or F-100 as these are built to higher standard and can handle the elements and abuse better than thier less expensive counterparts. I personally have used my EOS 1s and 3s in downpours with no ill effects thus far.....

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Glenn

Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:51 am

Had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago with my Nikon F801. The damn thing Froze and would not turn off. Even after taking the batteries out and re inserting them, the camera immediately swtched itself back on even though I had it in the OFF position.

Fresh Batteries fixed the problem but not straight away. They worked for about 5 minutes and froze again but after waiting for about 10 minutes it worked fine for the rest of the day, so it may have also been dirty contacts.

I know it was the batteries fault as they also didn't work in the spare Kodak Digital either.

Cheers

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:07 pm

Thanks guys I took your advice, most of which was helpful, the rest well.....  Big grin. Woke up this morning, put the lens on turned it on and it has awoken from the dead...few...
Well it'll teach me.....

aviasian

Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:35 am

Look at it this way . . . you now have a beautiful paper-weight on your writing table, a conversation piece.  Big grin

KC Sim
Bangkok

bezoar

Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:13 pm

A couple of years ago our Canon got doused by a rogue wave on the coast of Maine. It immediately died. I frantically dried it off, removed the half shot roll (while under a pile of coats), opened it up wherever I could and dried it. I could not open some places as the screws were too small, and was ill to see moisture continuing to reappear at the seams.

I found a camera repairman within a couple of hours who said I would need to ship it to the Canon factory for repairs, that the saltwater will corrode it quickly, but that a circuit board was probably fried. He said it would probably be cheaper to buy a new camera body.

Two days later I happened to be a couple of miles from the Canon facility in NY. I was about to run it over there, but tried the camera again and found that it worked fine. I thought about the possibility of ongoing corrosion, but took a chance and never sent it to them.

It has worked fine ever since, and is getting regular use, so I consider myself extremely lucky. (Of course, now that I have said this, it will now probably fritz up on me!)
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

BO__einG

Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:24 pm

You shoulda used a Point and Shoot Disposable camera that time to save u all this mayhem.,

Bo  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

cfalk

Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:39 pm

Bezoar,

I'm amazed. Salt water is just about the most corrosive thing short of acid.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.