Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Final Attempt

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:18 am

Hey Guys,

Well I have just spent a good 30 mins at least on each picture I have just uploaded...and as the topic says...this is my last attempt at uploading to airliners.net. Its the 4th time to be screened for the pictures and I feel that if they get rejected now, I have not a chance in the world to have any more pics accepted on airliners.net. I have tryed enhancing them as best as I can with Paint Shop Pro 6, and if its no good I am going to get no better as I cant afford better programmes like Photo Shop as I spend a nice packet on my Camera equipment.

Anyway if you have any comments on the pictures I have uploaded dont hesitate to post them here, along with any comments on how I could improve them (Which I guess will be the most poipular reply).

Here goes....

1) https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_101109AA.JPG

2) https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_125747AA.JPG

3) https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_111003AA.JPG

4) https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_124329AA.JPG

5) https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_121000AA.JPG

Aaaah well there you go....I look forward to your comments....maybe not so an e-mail telling me that they have been rejected...again  Sad.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls
(Webmaster of Aviation-Careers.Net)
Jason Nicholls - v1images

jderden777

RE: Final Attempt

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:43 am

let's activate those, shall we?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_101109AA.JPG

A.JPG>

https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_111003AA.JPG

https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_124329AA.JPG

https://airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_121000AA.JPG

nice shots, except one thing...they are HUGE!! i would try making them a bit smaller - even though they are 1024 wide...

also i would try to go out there in the BEST of weather to make sure that your pics will be good...also, there is evidence of jpeg compression or something (maybe a result of the megapixels)...i would try zooming in more on the a330s and the ATP, there's a lot of empty space there that could better be filled (a close-up shot of those 330s would be nice)

nice shots, and good ideas, but again they need some work (as do mine, i'm having trouble getting my shots accepted as well) - but try some nice weather if nothing else - it makes things much much easier...the 757 shot is a little blurry - i'd try to sharpen it a bit...and it wouldn't hurt to reduce the size of the images either, it will probably make them look a little better if they are smaller

just my thoughts, take them for what you will...
jonathan d.
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

atco

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:44 am

Jason,

As usual pretty good pics.

The first BY 757 will be rejected I suspect, because you have shot from a different angle, and see my thread here about that  Smile ..........anything apart from side on shots seems to be up against it from the start. Also I would have cropped out more of the ground equipment at the bottom of the photo, and had the nosewheel right at the bottom of the shot.

The other shots, I would have no problem with seeing in the database, but I think the US 330 will get rejected too, as according to my eyes (which may be suspect !!) it doesn't quite look straight, the shot seems to lean up from left to right, and being honest the BMI A330 doesn't really work with all that reflection on the side of the fuse, and I think that will probably get kicked out too........having said that I have no problem with the shot, I like the close crop.

Good luck with the uploads, and try not to give up.

Garry

PS: Please email me, I can help you with something.
Canon through and through

aps

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:52 am

Just one question ??????

i assume they are taken from MAN ???

how did you get the position on the US and BMI 24R dept. ?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ? are you airside ?

come on spill the beans  Wink/being sarcastic

ps they are nice images..... however the BMI head on isnt that exciting as you cannot see much.. otherwise i think the quality is good maybe a bit sharper perhaps..

lewis

Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:59 am

I have to say that I believed that A.net would accept normal side shots most of the times. But now that one of my new photos got uploaded, I found out something. You need to find angles that are interesting and creative for others too, not just for you.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Paris Tsantis

cfalk

Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:05 am

I don't think there is much you can do to improve them. Quality-wise, they are very nice shots (what camera?) I think there are a couple of issues that you should know about (other than the fact that you chose a pretty crappy day to go spotting  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

1) the cargo pallets in front obstruct the nosewheel. No big deal, but a little distracting IMHO. One interesting note - the wings seem slightly out of focus, although the background is still in focus (more or less). A light touch of sharpening could help.

2) I would crop the picture a little bit to center the plane - you have "dead space" on the left.

3) Slightly overexposed - maybe a 1/2 stop.

4) Looks pretty good to me, in spite of odd lighting.

5) Could be more centered.

All in all, congrats on what looks like a pretty good camera. The fact that all your shots are exactly the same size (1024x768) suggests that you are uploading essentially the original digital files from a digital camera. Don't hesitate to crop these files - 2 and 5 both could have been framed a little better in post-production.

Last point, if this was a "last try", don't you think that you should try good-weather shots for this?

I think they all look like they would be accepted.

Cheers,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:06 am

Hey Guys,

Thx for the few replys  Smile I must start by adding my own comments on the pictures I uploaded, contrasting them with yours:

1) BY 752 - You say sharpen - Last time I sharpened it alittle more in PSP 6 it got rejected....what for you may ask? Sharpened too much.

2) BA ATP - Zoom in further?....If I could I would, if i zoomed any further it would be in digital zoom, thus loosing image quality fast.

3) The most perfect out of them all you may think....wrong...a.net rejected it last time, now i put alittle more work into it and is 'shouldnt' get rejected, if it dooes I would start worrying about the screeners eyesight!

4) BMI A330 - I must add this is too dark, just noticed, last time i enhanced it it was just right but needing alittle more sharpening...which I 'may' do at a later date.

5) US Air 330 - You say streighten it up....well through past expirience i had pictures with a streight looking a/c rejected with a wonkey horizon....now I am working on a streight Horizon....so who knows.

Regarding the weather.....I have to put up with what i get at MAN when I go. I have limited opportunities while I dont have a car (im 16) seen as I have to catch the train. And witha job...A-Levels, its hard to go MAN when I want. And living 45 miles away from MAN (Which I consider my local, Sheffield City Airport isnt exactly busy!) is not an ideal thing too.

ATCO - Garry - Ill drop you an e-mail ASAP

APS - Through reading other posts I think you work for AMM at MAN no? Well ill just say one thing...I was NOT airside and i didnt use stepladders or a hole cut into a fence (I dont stoop so low as to cut fences. Ill let my secret loose soon Big grin if I upload a few more from my spot.

Cheers Guys and keep the comments coming.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls
(Webmaster Of Aviation-Careers.Net)

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:17 am

Cfalk - I use a Fuji Finepix 2600, thx for more tips too.

You know I think this is a better way of getting some tips on enhancing my images. Last time I made a post I asked what is the best way of enhancing images in PSP6 and didnt get anywhere....also I think I should be in for a good summer...if it wasnt for me needing to just about work full time in the summer holidays to save up for a week trip to America. Otherwise if I can get to MAN in the summer as much as I can I recon I could get some VERY cool pictures from my spot...blue sky's...perfect lighting.

Also the images are slightly enhanced (sharpened, brightened up, BMI A330 wasnt done properly :/ and sharpened again if needed). Then I resized them from the raw digital image (1280 X 960) to 1024 X 768. What would you consider the best image size??

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

Staffan

Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:46 am

Compare this:

with this:

I know which one I prefer, which do you?
They are taken with the same equipment, by the same photographer, of the same aircraft, in the same place....in different light...(there was some sun in the first shot too BTW)

Try shooting in sunshine, it will give you better results.

Good luck!

Staffan

Craigy

Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:39 am

Jason,
Nice photos - I know those spots well.

I assume that the US A330 is taxiing for a 24R takeoff. That would put it just after midday, and from that spot you will be shooting into the light.

It is even more critical when using digital to get the lighting correct, but I know that all the big stuff comes in and goes out in the morning and getting to the other side of the runways is a pain.

DO NOT GIVE UP BEFORE AT LEAST TRYING SHOTS IN PERFECT LIGHT.

I had recent problems with quality, but it was all down to lighting.

Viewing park after 3pm

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Hendley

Found a new spot for the mornings

Click for large version

Photo © Craig Hendley

(I'm not plugging - hits are not important to me anymore)

Regards,
Craig.

Alaskaairlines

Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:08 pm

Don't give up!

It took me a while to get my first photo accepted, but after the first one is in the data base it will inspire you to keep trying!

Good luck and let us kow what happens,

Dmitry Kudryn.

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:37 pm

Hey Guys,

Well it wasnt a suprise that this morning I woke up...checked my e-mails and what else did I get buy a rejection e-mail.

Craig - Well I must not be trying hard enough, even all my pictures when the light is behind me got rejected, even one I thought was impossible to get rejected (BMI A320 Holding on 24L). Also I got a great spot to replace the place where I took the BMI and US Airways A330's which has the light on your back, but the problem is getting there. No car and a good hours walk its pretty hard to get there on foot..and when your there the mud in the field is half a foot deep, only until you get to the fence its solid. Was your DC-10 taken on the main road just past the Airport Pub?

I might give it one last try, this time ill put a good hour into each picture, brightening up, sharpening etc......but if I get no acceptance from all that time I am putting in there is no point and im just gonna throw in the bag until the summer. I have great pride in my photography, and I want people to see it, but when i get rejections it just puts me down and makes me wonder am I really up to it if I cant even have a lousely picture put on a website. The recection e-mail is almost like its telling you to p**s off you havnt a chance in hell.

Alaskaairlines - I have already had photo's accepted...thats the problem. I am able to say I have the forst picture in the database From Sheffield City Airport...but that makes no difference when I had spent hours upon hour collecting data to put into the 45 pictures I was uploading, must have taken me 14 hours enhancing the pictures (or trying as it seems), collecting the data, and uploading the pictures (only got 56K so its sloooooow) only get get a rejection e-mail a few days later.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

P.S - I am going to spend a few hours tonight on one or two pictures and really try my best. I hope this time my worthless attempts will become a success.

Jan Mogren

Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:31 pm

Don't take too lightly on the advice about shooting in good weather. That will save you a LOT of the trouble you describe in enhancing your pix.
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Craigy

Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:42 am

Jason,

The DC-10 was taken from past the end of 24L (Rwy 2).
About 15 mins from the airport by car.

I am changing my approach to photography drastically -
I now have an EOS 30 film SLR to compliment the Pro90.

This is my first venture with film and I have chosen a 28-135mm lens to start with. After experimenting with different areas of photography I will get round to buying a long lens for aviation pics. After that, a 4000 DPI neg scanner and I will be back with a vengeance.

If you are going to MAN anytime in the coming months, drop me an email and we may be able to meet up and drive to the more interesting spots.

Regards,
Craig.

mikephotos

Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:56 am

You're spending way too much time "working" on each picture. If the time required to "fix" a photo is 30 minutes then it's a photo probably not worth it in the first place. I spend about 45 seconds on my post-scans in photoshop per photo. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help. I know weather is difficult at MAN but it really is important to only shoot in sunny conditions if you expect consistent quality results. Of course, if you're just going to the airport to spot and enjoy the action then by all means go whenever you can, sun or no sun.

Michael

aps

Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:00 am

Craig check yer mail !

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:40 am

Craig - I started with a normal old 35mm Camera just under 10 months ago now. And just after Christmas I bought myself a Fuji Finefix 2600. I am thinking about saving up now and getting an SLR too (film), probably an old SLR with a nice long distance lense! Use the digital for uploading pics onto a.net and the SLR for large prints Big grin.

Thx for the offer Craig, I am planning on coming MAN pretty soon, I start missing it after a while and get a sudden urge to go out to MAN for a day shooting pics. My next visit will be after my next pay day, which is April 4th, so the best date for me to get to MAN will be the 8th. Still unsure but that date can become a definate soon  Smile

Mike - I spend so long enhancing them to find the best enhancement, changing brightness levels, sharpness, gamma correction, Red/Green/Blue balance and so on.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

mikephotos

Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:46 am

Mike - I spend so long enhancing them to find the best enhancement, changing brightness levels, sharpness, gamma correction, Red/Green/Blue balance and so on.

Jason - exactly my point. If you start out with a quality photo/slide (we're talking in general here) there shouldn't be much post work needed. Just a resize, fix-up of the curves (if neeed), unsharp, dust/dirt removal and thats about it. That should all take about 30-45 seconds. If I have to spend more than a minute or two on a scan in photoshop, I wouldn't bother.

Mike

Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:33 am

Jason, out of interest, who was your rejection e-mail from - Admin (Johan) or Screeners? I can't tell, although I can tell you that the pics were in the HQ queue before someone rejected them.

S2

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:24 pm

Hey Screener 2,

well my last 5 pictures I uploaded when I started this topic were rejected by Johan himself, the e-mail was form him with the signature:

Johan Lundgren
Editor Airliners.Net
[email protected]
https://www.airliners.net/

But the other batch of 45 I uploaded was screened by both the screeners and Johan, where the screeners rejected 20, and then Johan rejected the other 25 that had passes the first screening process.

Im not getting on at you screeners, you do your job well.....what I really should be getting at is me for not having the best of quality pictures after any sharpening and so on.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

Craigy

Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:31 am

Jason,
In future, try uploading in batches of two or three.
When screening a batch of 45, it would be easy to get bored with the first 30 average shots and not look at the next 15 which may be better and looked on more favourably with fresh eyes.

A funny thing happened to me last year. I uploaded steadily throughout one month and Johan batch processed all 70 shots in one go. 69 accepted without warnings and one accepted with a quality warning, although it didn't look any different to me. Johan can really get down to detail when he feels like it.

Regards,
Craig.

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:50 am

Hey Guys,

I have taken people advice and now I have done a quick job of enhancing them and resized them to 800 X 600..... Please give me your thoughts now, to be honest the look 100000 X Better. I am still using PSP 6 but I will be changing to Photo Shop as soon as I can. Thanks for the help again guys, couldnt have done it without you!! I tryed with different pictures this time  Smile.

1)
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_101109AA.JPG

2)
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_121354AA.JPG

3)
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0208_131041AA.JPG

4)
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_111003AA.JPG

5)
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/2002_0216_124532AA.JPG

I guess there are still things wrong with them...but not as much as the last lot I hope!

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

[email protected]

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:07 am

-

[email protected]

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:10 am

After clicking on the links Big grin i would say the last one (JMC) looks very strange around the area where the tail comes out of the airframe. But the others look fine (for ma but who am i Big grin )
Peter
-

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:12 am

Cheers Peter  Smile. I tried the img in <> one and it never worked lol, what can I say, ive been using WYSIWYG web-design hehe.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

Craigy

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:42 am

Britannia - High quality, shame about the ramp lice
Brit Air - Nice
BMI - so so, a little flat (over exposed?)
JMC - a lot of noise on the image
Continental - WOW! Something mean looking about that.
Don't care if it gets accepted though - I've already saved it  Big grin

Craig.

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:41 am

Craig - i tell you what drop me an e-mail and I will send you the original so you can resize it to fit ur desktop Big grin, I have 2 more of it too from different angles. My e-mail address is... [email protected]

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls,

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:32 pm

Any takers?

BA777

Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:43 am

Hi,

Did you save them with minimum compression?

BA777

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:19 am

All I do in PSP 6 is press the save button no questions asked, can you save with a compression option?

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

mirage

Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:22 am

In PSP5, on the "save as" box there is a button "options" where you can set the compression. In PSP6 it must be the same.

Luis

bapilot2b
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:54 am

Just looked its not that...but I have dug the option about compression out, thx guys, in PSP 6 you have to EXPORT >> AS JPEG

BA777

Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:09 pm

Yep, then u set '1' as the compression, and your file should be about 500kb, maybe more  Big thumbs up

BA777