Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aps
Topic Author

Another "screening" Topic

Sat Mar 23, 2002 5:47 pm

I thought that only the screeners accepted / rejected images now ....

am i wrong ? The reason i ask is i have two waiting in the que for Johan to view..... well thats as good as prolonged rejection in my previous experience..  Wink/being sarcastic

To sum up it is getting VERY hard to get pictures on here ! it has changed in the past few weeks. An as in a past thread of mine.. i really am starting to think about carrying on uploading to AN... i really dont have to time or the patience any more... its hardly moral boosting when you try your best and work at an image , only to be rejected at the first hurdle..

Well whinge over , i dont care if you shoot me down.... its a forum ! which means anyone can talk about anything ...

administrator

RE: Another "screening" Topic

Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:18 pm

Don't worry, it isn't that hard. Shoot rare stuff and you'll have your photos accepted much easier. The thing is, we're starting to get a very large amount of photos of some aircraft (regs) and to get an additional photo accepted of such an aircraft, your photo needs to be as good or better than the ones we already have in the database.

Keep trying!

Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Aer Lingus

Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:01 pm

Accepted today Tony.......

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Tony Silgrim

Cant be that hard now can it !

aps
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:56 am

1 out of 15 ...... nope cant be that hard !

Aer Lingus

Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:04 am

oh...........................right

aps
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:22 am

:D

ghost77

Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:02 am

Hello Tony,

My words are to don´t give up, I knew this website since ID:5000, after that I start uploading picture.. with no results at all. Finally after some time my pirst upload was near ID:080000. It was a motivation for keep uploading.. but I didn´t have much results as today. Over ID:180000 I bought a new scanner... same thing.. but just with a little more expirience.. on the last 3 days I just got a 95% acceptance rate, I passed from 45 to 76 photos. It was just to play and manipulate the pictures with Paint Shop Pro, and get the Quality needed for acceptance. Now I can say that it´s not that hard as it seems to be.

Anyway the final decision it´s yours,

ghost77  Smile

aps
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:00 am

ghost77 ..... Thanks very much for the advice , i understand totally what you are saying. The only thing is i found my rejection rate dip well below recently although i havnt done anything different.......

I will take your words in , i must try other ways ie film etc.. I do also struggle with PSP , i find i cannot get a reasonable output from it, i use ACDSEE all the time now its great software ( untill i can fathom out PSP )

But thanks again for your words.
Tony

ghost77

Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:34 am

Tony,

Well, my acceptance rate was very low kind of 1%, for a very looong time, since some months ago JAN of this year everything changed, as I mention above.

Well everything I did was to read some people´s comments in this forum, and way of scanning...

My tips could be:
Scanner: HPS20
1200 DPI
In the scanner settings I use a range from 15 to 25 with the Sharp tool. After I let the scanner do his work, and save as .jpg
----->
After that I open the picture in PSP 6.,
Apply the Unsharp mask tool
Settings:
Radius:
Strength
100%
Clipping
----->
Resize to 1000x .......
----->
Play a little with the Brightness and Contrast
----->
Apply the Sharp tool
----->
Save the picture with no compression... How to change the settings or make shure you got no compression...
Go to File > Save As > Options > Make shure compression factor is in 1 .

Also trying to shoot pictures with good WX conditions. Always with sun in the aircraft image quality will be better ( I also learned it here, 2 years ago I didn´t care that much, but I´ve seen that my picture are even better, it was not the camera just me  Big thumbs up )

Grettings from Mexico

Good luck!

ghost77  Smile