Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dazed767
Topic Author

Iata Email

Sat May 18, 2002 12:21 am

IATA emailed me about using my photos on their website (another friend of mine also got an email from them). They want about 10 photos a peice from us, and are willing to pay UP TO $2 peice for them. It's for a database for airliners, and I guess users (airlines etc) have to pay them to subscribe to it. I think $2 per photo is WAY too low. What do you think? Anyone else with the same email?

Justin
(I would make this longer, but I'm late for work Big grin )

Dazed767
Topic Author

RE: Iata Email

Sat May 18, 2002 12:38 am

Now that I think about it, I guess if they need 100's of photos anyway, $2 isnt too bad????

What do you think?

joe pries

Sat May 18, 2002 12:52 am

helll no- 2 bucks is not low its idiotic- they have a big pair of ......

Ljungdahl

Sat May 18, 2002 1:09 am

- Justin, IMHO there should be NO DIFFERENCE of the price/photo, no matter if they want 1 or 500 photos (...well, if they REALLY want 500, a small discount then...). The price should depend on the type of use they're lookin' for!

Just imagine, if we're out at some Bar, and I order 1 or 10 beers, I seriously doubt they will give any discount/beer for the larger order...

...know what I mean...?  Big grin

...just my $2...

Johan

Bruce

Sat May 18, 2002 1:38 am

I got their email too. I wouldn't mind selling some pics but the way they ask for my bank account #.......I'd never give that out online.

Has anyone on here ever sold pics to them?

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Joge

Sat May 18, 2002 1:46 am

Yeah, I got the email too.

The amount they are offering, the $2, doesn't even cover any cheque fees. And I'm not going to give them my bank account number.

-Joge
Bula!

Ljungdahl

Sat May 18, 2002 1:49 am

...BTW guys, which photos were they interested in...?

Johan

Joge

Sat May 18, 2002 1:56 am

Johan,

They asked for this photo:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis

-Joge
Bula!

mikephotos

Sat May 18, 2002 2:01 am

I'll pay you $3 for each photo, just email me your bank account and credit card numbers....  Smile

Michael

Ljungdahl

Sat May 18, 2002 2:11 am

THX, Joge!

...I am wondering a little bit more about this, are you SURE this mail is really coming from IATA, I find it a little suspicious when people ask for bankaccount's via mail, maybe they aren't who they claim to be...!?

...Johan...

george

Sat May 18, 2002 2:21 am

Hello guys,

I had the same email, and i am also thinking as most of you do. USD 2.00 ???? wow finally I have my retirement.

Bank account via mail, I don't think so.

Kind regards, George Polfliet

Bruce

Sat May 18, 2002 2:24 am

I suppose I could suggest that he take PayPal...
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

joe pries

Sat May 18, 2002 2:28 am

Hey Bruce,
if someone offered me 2 bucks each for a bunch of my pictures id tell them id rather take my cameras and lenses and throw them from the empire state building before i'd let them rob me like that.

Joe

george

Sat May 18, 2002 2:59 am

Hello Joe,

What's the ticket price for the Empire State Building?

If it is more than USD 2.00 I look for a cheaper place.

George Polfliet

Sepang

Sat May 18, 2002 7:37 am

I received their email too. This is what they wrote:
----------------------------------------------------

Dear _______,

I am writing to you from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

IATA has recently launched a new online product for the Airlines called Online Airline Product Database (OAPD). At present the OAPD contains information for 40 airlines and is available to any airline for an annual subscription fee. I manage the data in the OAPD and I am constantly looking for new images to complement the data and enhance the product.

With this in mind, I recently visited www.airliners.net and came across cabin and seat images that I would like to incorporate into the OAPD. However, I noticed that each image has a copyright. Therefore, I am contacting you to ask for your permission to use the following image(s) on the OAPD:

Image No - Airline Code (Aircraft type)
xxxxxx - xx (777-200)
xxxxxx - xx (777-200)

IATA is prepared to pay up to USD2 for each image. For payment, I need you to provide your bank details i.e. sort code and account number. I will arrange to make the payment upon receipt of an invoice. My contact details are as follows:

xxxx xxxxx
Product Research Analyst
Aviation Information & Research
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
United Kingdom

There is no need to send me the original images as I am more than happy to copy the images direct from the website and crop them where necessary.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Best regards

xxxxxx
Product Research Analyst
IATA - Aviation Information & Research
Tel: xxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxx
email: [email protected]

chrisair

Sat May 18, 2002 8:50 am

Yea, I got the same email...waste of my time. I do plan on keeping a lookout for my pictures floating around on their site...

Like hell I'm going to give out my bank details...

Aussie

Sat May 18, 2002 9:24 am

Yep - got the same e-mail twice last nite.

USD 2.00 is the biggest joke I've ever come across - almost rude to offer such an amount ....

Just told them my fees start from USD 300.00 minimum per image .... surely I'll never hear from them again !

Cheers,

Frank Schaefer
Sydney/Australia

Cathay111

Sat May 18, 2002 9:41 am

Got the e-mail too, how about we come up with a group price per image, say $15000 USD per image????

$2 USD per shot, talk about offended! I'm with Joe, I'd prefer to drag my gear on a chain behind my V8 Utility and laugh my arse off as it smashes into a million pieces!

Franky has set the benchmark, how about $300USD per image - after all they stand to make money at our expense. Why shouldn't we make money at THEIR expense. Aren't we the ones with the expensive equipment, who pay to get to/from the airport and who have paid the money to go on these flights????

Anyway, if we get no money at all atleast we had a good laugh about it!

Cheers from a cloudy SYD,
Craig and Anna

Dazed767
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2002 10:13 am

Back from work.....glad to see there are SEVERAL others with the same email. IMO I would probably say $30-50 per image would be fair (I'm new to this, and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about anyways haha). I'm not doing any work, he said they will just take the image from a.net and crop it accordingly. Yeah the bank thing, I've had another company do that from overseas...who's stupid idea is that? So what would be a fair price per photo?

Justin

P.S. Mike....want my checking or savings account #?? My Visa is 8351-20....  Big grin

timdegroot

Sat May 18, 2002 7:43 pm

As long as we're talking money here.
I just received an email from someone who wants to use some of my pictures in her study project for the municipality where she works. She saw some of my pictures at my website and asked if she could use some of them. I'm not sure if I should ask money for this (at least not more then the costs I make), since this is not a commercial project, but part of a study of someone.
What would you do?

Regards
Tim
Alderman Exit

Ljungdahl

Sat May 18, 2002 8:28 pm

Tim, is this a Canadian girl??

If she is, it's probably the same person that have mailed me a couple of months ago, and my answer to her (as to everybody else that's mailing me about photo useage) is; as long as there is a non-commercial website, they can use my photo(s), as long as they give me the credit as the photographer.

But as soon there are any money-making thing involved in the website, I need to make an agreement about payment etcetera...

...so far none have made such an agreement...  Big grin

Johan

timdegroot

Sat May 18, 2002 8:31 pm

No this is a Dutch girl. I will ask here about any cmmercial activities, and then follow your advise, which are pretty much my thoughts as well Smile
Alderman Exit

flpuck6

Mon May 20, 2002 3:07 am

I received their e-mail and replied.

IATA is a large organization, definitely reputable.

But I'm not going to e-mail my bank account # etc. over e-mail. Why wouldn't a check work?

$2 is a ripoff. I told them something higher. But now that I am reading these responses, I'm hoping either a) I don't hear from them b) they respond and I won't respond back.

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

koala

Mon May 20, 2002 6:21 am

I got the same e-mail too. I trust IATA, especially in this instance, but I'm still doubtful about just sending them my bank numbers, etc.

I understand that it is a large number of checks to send out, but still.....

One other thing, with a large database of images, it would be nice if photographer credit was given....yet he didnt seem to mention this and I can't see them doing that.

Just thought I would thow in my similar thoughts.

Koala

Dazed767
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2002 11:43 am

I plan on emailing them tonight with my thoughts. I'll give them a quote that I think is fair, and I'm sure I will never hear back from them. I'll keep everyone posted....

Dazed767
Topic Author

Whoa

Mon May 20, 2002 12:15 pm

$1500USD a year to subscribe to OAPD. They can afford more than $2...  Angry

I requested $25 per image (which I kinda think is too low, but I know I won't hear back from them)

jwenting

Mon May 20, 2002 4:01 pm

Prices can be steep.
Images from stock agencies usually cost between $150 and $1500 A YEAR for use on websites (depending on agency, position of the images in the site, and size of the image on the page in pixels).
Webbased use of images is not like print. It is paid for for a specific period (unlimited use of an image I saw quoted for around $5000 for a 640x480 class image), and sometimes even a pay per view arrangement.
I wish I were flying

will

Mon May 20, 2002 8:07 pm

G'day,

I received an e-mail from IATA as well. At first it seemed nice that someone wanted my photos, but I understand that some photograph airliners for professional reasons and I thought $2 USD per photo was a little strange. Correct me if I’m wrong, but from professionals photos can vary in price depending on their quality, etc?

When I noted, “Please send me your bank account numbers” alarm bells rang in my head and I took a cautious step and just thanked him and sent a copy for free. There are some clever but deceiving people out there and you have to be very careful nowadays. If this gentleman from IATA is legitimate he may revisit a proper and more secure method of payment soon. We'll see!!

Regards,

Will.

Dazed767
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2002 11:01 pm

Ask for a check, I've had another company ask for my account # too, there is no reason they should get it for free.

Will...

Tue May 21, 2002 1:48 am

Bad move giving it to them for free. You just hurt everyone on here who is trying to get them to pay what our photos are worth. That's totally defeating the purpose. Bro, you cant do stuff like that, especially when they're willing to pay...

Please think next time more carefully next time...
B

flpuck6

Tue May 21, 2002 2:55 am

I haven't heard anything back from him. It's almost 2pm here on the East coast USA, which means 7pm over in the UK, a full business day has gone by. If he wanted the images, I would have heard from him.

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

Jan Mogren

Tue May 21, 2002 4:15 am

It's holiday in Sweden, perhaps in UK too?
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

flpuck6

Tue May 21, 2002 9:53 am

A possibility Jan...if I hear anything back, I'll let you and everyone else know...as I'm sure the others will. I love how we all bond together on an issue like this.
Bonjour Chef!

will

NonRevKing

Tue May 21, 2002 2:21 pm

G'day NonRevKing,

I must sincerely and fully confess that you are right. I did feel a little silly giving them away for free and later I did consider that it disadvantages the professional photographers out there try to make a dollar. I have had a re-think and I will keep my photos to myself in consideration of the professionals.

My minor excuse is that I’m quite new to this and re: my post "it seemed nice that someone wanted my photos", hence the silly move to give them away. At the time sending them for free were far better than giving my bank account to someone over the Internet.

Regards,

Will.

RE: Will...

Tue May 21, 2002 10:08 pm

No problem, thats how you learn.

I'd don't consider myself a professional by any means, but I do have an education in this area.

If something like this comes up, post it on here and if I see it, I'll give you my thoughts, as I'm sure some other folks will.

In a way, even tho there is an element of competition in this hobby, we have to look out for each other when it comes to this...

Take care,
B

flpuck6

Wed May 22, 2002 1:58 am

Hey B,

The competition is only what one makes it out to be. I personally don't feel the need to be competing against anyone. I love sharing information, helping people out.

Anyway, back to the IATA mail, a business day has gone by in the UK...no word. (not like i'm hanging on to it at all).

-Chris

Bonjour Chef!

chris28_17

Wed May 22, 2002 2:38 am

In a way, even tho there is an element of competition in this hobby...

not really, i think everyone realizes that you are undisputed king of photography across the globe. That kinda kills the competition...

jk

Chris