Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CO777
Topic Author

Phtograghy At YYC And YEG

Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:46 am

Hi Everybody, Does anyone know any good spots around YYC and YEG as far as pics are concern?I am heading to YYC on the 31st and then going to YEG for the day. I will also go to the city airport in Edmonton.
Thanks, Jason Whitebird

LOT767-300ER

RE: Phtograghy At YYC And YEG

Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:17 am

Heyo

I was just in Calgary and spent an hour at YYC taking stuff. There are awsome perimeter spots at YYC. If you go to the far left of the terminal you can see the whole ramp there. Theres even a baseball diamond there and some maintenance crap. The area is on a hill so you can shoot over the fence, or walk up to it....thats what i did. Also you can go by the westjet facilities and where Air Canada parks their 737-200s. Im sure some regulars at YYC could help u a bit more hehe.

BO__einG

Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:20 pm

Hey LoT and Jason,

I am one of the locals at YYC and I can give you some pointers for my airport.
However I wont be able to do this right now but sometime tomorrow I will put in a more in depth detail about spotting at YYC. I'll also provide a diagram of the airport with indicated spotting areas in this thread.

LOT, How was YYC?

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

fallingeese

Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:34 am

YYC is also my home airport so I can give some information. Bo is the king though, so you'll have to wait for his map. How long will you be here in YYC? A vehicle is pretty well essential to photography. There are many great spots, and security isn't usually a problem although one guy seems to think photography is illegal (airport security). There are great spots for both morning, afternoon, and evening spotting.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

LOT767-300ER

Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:59 am

YYC was pretty cool.

A guy in a YYC pickup rode up to me and we started talking and he drove me onto the ramp to shot a Westjet 732 and a AC 732. The weather was pretty crappy and it was DAMN COLD like 4c. This was on August 4th i think ehhe.

I saw a bunch of AC/Tango/Jazz and Westjet, added to that a JMC A330 a ICC Air Cargo (based at YYC AFAIK) and RAF L1011 and a Nomad Air Cargo 727F anddd uhhh skyservice. Also went to the museum there to get that NWA DC and then I also had to check out a CRJ in Midway colors being repainted with the reg stripped off.

BTW: There is an AE ATR-72 there that you can practically take souvenirs off hehehe the tail comes out of the fence.

All in all YYC was 1000000000 better than YEG. All i saw there was a NWA A320 and bunch of AC 73s and 320s and a KC-135.

Although i must say i was surprised how SMALL both of the airports are especially YEG. This must be due to the fact that O'Hare is HUGE Big grin (God i love it so much!)

Security isnt a problem.....didnt get hassled or anything.

Also got some other good pix from other places in Canada including:

Whitehorse
Muncho Lake
Dawsons Creek
Grande Prairie
Edmonton
Watson Lake
Ft. St John
Ft Nelson

(Just in case your wondering yes I did take the Alaska highway!)

Im trying to upload the pix but its taking time....massive amounts hehehe

VonRichtofen

Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:42 am

Hey LOT how long were you in YYC?

Did you go by the dirt hill by the Purolator building? That's an awesome spot to get shots of planes rotating when they're using 34.

CO777: How long will you be in YYC? Unfortunatley I have to work all day on the ramp on the 31st but I'm off Sept. 1st.

I have a pick up truck which can be handy for taking photos in some places.

Regards,
Kris

BO__einG

Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:50 am

http://www.pbase.com/image/4166605

okay lets get straight to the pointers.

General information about spotting at YYC aka. MY AIRPORT.  Smile jk.
You should have lens ranging from 28mm to 300mm+ for the best photography results. Most spots will require at least 100mm or more unless you stand under the approach paths. Security: NO concern however sometimes one or two may come up and tell u to leave. Fences there are 3 meters high with barb wire, and unless you got skinny assed lens to squeeze thru the holes, you need a stepladder. HOWEVER some spots have huge hills or picnic tables which u can stand to get a better view. Spotting in the morning time should be focused on the east part of the airport for best photography, and afternoon/evenings should be the west portion of the airfield.
I don't think I need to explain anything about the spotting places I have put in place on that diagram. Most of these spots you can move around to get closer to the planes or to get a better angle for photography without trouble.
All roads around the airport are accessable and yes there is a museum of aviation at the near the southern part of YYC. Ahh and when you are at the northerly part of the airport "runway 16" , Do check out the new pond the airport recently made. Its great! Fresh cut Green Grass, and rock beach.. But the pond is for disposal of airport fluids so it'll be kinda stinky..
Good Luck, and hope it helps.

Bo
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:30 am

I was at that dirt mount there. And also by that baseball diamond west of the terminal. I spotted and took shots for like 2-3 hrs

fallingeese

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:28 am

Gotta love that hill. Can't wait till I get my new equipment. Bo basically sumerized everything that there is to be said. We do get quite alot of unusual traffic and visitors. Especially Avmax. This is probably where you saw the Midway plane. Also Field Aviation has alot of goodies, just search under "Mark McWhirter" and you'll see what I mean.

serge

Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:11 pm

Nice information... will come in handy when I go up to YYC and maybe YEG next weekend Big grin.

Maybe we can all get together?

regards,
Serge

LOT767-300ER

Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:45 pm

Erm its not THAT diverse IMO.

Why dont you come down to ORD and ill show you how a diverse International terminal looks like  Smile Although i bet my collegues over at LHR could kick my azz in that lol Big grin

I must admit it was the first time i saw JMC, ICC, Nomad and an RAF L1011

fallingeese

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:09 am

Geezz... if you're willing to brave the Canadian Winter you can also get Air tours, erraaa My Travel and Monarch, as well as some neat RAF charters like EAL 742's and Air Atlanta Icelandic 742's, but also their L1011. ATA comes up here on occasion with 737-800's and L1011's. You also get Air Transat L1011's if the A330's break down. Oh yeah Mexicana and Allegro had the occasional charters, and I think that's about it.

Serge what day are you comming upto YYC?

serge

Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:08 am

Hi Mark,

My dad and I were thinking about driving up Friday afternoon, staying somewhere along the way and finishing up Saturday morning.. arriving in Calgary around noon-afternoon most likely. We would then leave around Sunday night or so to make it back intime for Tuesday (school and work).

So the 31s of this month and 1st of next month.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Any interesting aircraft scheduled around then?

regards,
Serge

fallingeese

Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:06 pm

Not sure, Bo is the kiing around here. I'm working saturday 12-5 and I will find out next weeks schedule on wednesday. Hopefull I will have sunday off, as school doesn't start until the 3rd for me, but football starts on the 28th...

Bo what's comming in?

VonRichtofen

Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:54 pm

I'm off on Sunday

Sunday's are the airports busiest day judging from what I see while at work.

BO__einG

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:01 pm

hehe thanks mark  Smile I am surely the YYC king~!! :P
But you guys are also fellow kinds of YYC.  Smile

There is JMC 11:45am/5:15pm.
AirCanada A340 3:45pm and a bunch of 767s.
UPS/Emery/Capy Cargo all comes in the mornings as well as FedEx.
RAF comes in like everyday now using 1011's.

Thats about it for YYC.
I am going to head out there for some hardcore spotting tomorrow as I finally got the day off until I have to work everyday until school.  Sad

fallingeese

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:07 pm

Bo, Kris are you guys off on Sept. 1st? I dunno yet but I hope I am. Damn school is comming soon!

rindt

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:22 pm

Well, I'm coming by tomorrow  Smile until Thursday... would be great to meet up with some of ya, since most of you need to see a real photographer at work  Big grin
Saskatoon should be interesting on Wednesday, never been to the prairies before - but ramp access makes things a bit easier.

-Rob

What other people think of you is none of your business!

BO__einG

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:27 pm

Ahh, I meant to say "you guys are also fellow kings of YYC."

Fraid I wont be available for spotting on the first of Sept. However if it is during morning or afternoon time; up till 5pm, Then I can be available.

Puh, Real Photographer eh Rob?! With your arsenal of Kodachrome 64s/25s to use on such colorful planes like Edelweiss, and the Kendells..:-P

BAh I am going Prints all the way!!! w00! Prints RULE! I might snag a roll of slides tomorrow morning as a backup.
See ya there .

fallingeese

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:24 am

Sadly i can't make it out today, or tomorrow cause of football practice then I'm working. If I'm not working Bo, than Sunday I'd head out early in the day, so I guess that'd work for you too. I'll find out my schedule tomorrow. Any other new neat things comming in?

I wish all the luck in catching Edelweiss, it's always late everytime i have tried.

BO__einG

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:50 am

SHIT! F*****G Edelweiss DOESNT FLY TO YYC ANYMORE!!  Angry
DAMMIT! You damm airline, I didnt know last Tuesday was their last operating flight out of YYC. Only got 3 picts of it.  Sad

Well some trip its going to be, I am off to meet Rob and Rich.
Boy are THEY going to be dissapointed.

Lates.

Bo

fallingeese

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:47 pm

Hey i never got a shot of it at all. On time I campd out for it but HEY! guess who decided to arrive really fricken late, like how about 1am...

I'll find out my Sunday schedule tomorrow, Hope I am off.

CO777
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:48 pm

Bo, How are saturdays at YYC?I will be arriveing from SFO on UA around 230pm yourtime and the next day I am flying to YEG for the day.I will be arriveing from YEG around 645pm on the 1st.Do you know if JMC comes in on saturdays at YYC?
Jason Whitebird

BO__einG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:54 am

Hi Jason:

Saturdays are now the most interesting day of the week. Saturday and Thursday. JMC does come to YYC twice. Once at 11:30 and the other at 1715.
There are also a few other heavies of Boeings and Airbuses around that day and the RAF may possibly come by as well.

Good Luck.

Oh ya, I met the guys yesterday and it was sweet. There is a Gulf V of US AIrforce parked at SHell. Its the mini Airforce One. Big grin
I'm heading out today as well after school.

fallingeese

RE: Phtography At YYC And YEG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:29 am

You're at school already Bo? I don't go back until the 3rd, but football starts today for me. Still dunno my schedule yet, my boss is an idiot. Trust me when I say idiot.

Hopefully I'm off Sunday...

LOT767-300ER

Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:32 am

Bo btw thanx for the email, i dropped you a line too.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © PolishAir42 - Chicago Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © PolishAir42 - Chicago Aviation Photography

Too bad i didnt take more pix. But the weather was horrible so i dont blame myself. I didnt want to ruin my camera in the rain.

BO__einG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:47 am

Hey its no problem LOT. Big grin
Yeah its a shame the weather was gay. I remember that period (end of July/Early August) how the weather was just horrible. I recall one of those days, BOTH Air Atlantic and ATA came 1 hour apart. Two rarities that I really wanted to shoot. Quite dissapointing. You should check out YYC during Winter.. Oh yeah its amazing!

Yeah Mark, I only went to get my pictures taken and to receive my school schedules. I later went out to lunch with my friend and some girls. heeheehee!
Finally,! An airliners.net member gets some showdown with the girls of my school.  Laugh out loud
hehe, My boss isnt an idiot  Smile allowing me off for tuesday for the spotting.

I will head out to YYC again to meet Rob and RIch arriving from Saskatoon. Any of you interested come join us! I will be with them at the Shell center.

Chow,

BO

serge

Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:49 am

Hi again guys,

Jason, maybe I'll be able to catch a photo of your plane.. 2:50PM sounds abou when we'll be spotting most likely.. what type of aircraft are you scheduled for?

Mark, that would be cool if you're off on Sunday, as most likely we would run into eachother... never met another a.net photog in person before!

Bo, I agree, prints all the way!  Big thumbs up Bahahhaahhahahahha.... *scanning my LAS touchdown shots*

regards,
Serge

fallingeese

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:53 pm

I'm working 11-4 Sunday, stupid boss so much for booking a day off. Oh well. I will be out Saturday. Bo what day are you meeting Rob? And what time. i have football every day weekday at 3. Don't forget Monday is a holiday, but i have to work 4-9 but if you can make it in the morning...

CO777
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:11 pm

Serge,I am scheduled to be on the A320 and its schedule to arrive at 225pm.The flight# is 1648.
Jason Whitebird

BO__einG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:23 pm

Hmm, I am not sure if I can make it out on the 31st. Work is what concerns me the most. If I have the day off or I start in the evenings, sure I can head out there to meet you guys: Jason and Serge during the daytime. Bring plenty of film cuz you'll need em!  Smile

Rob and Rich arrived about 5:45pm and are at my place right now. They'll head out tomorrow morning back home. 11am departure time..
we'll be at YYC like at 9am to watch some morning stuff like WestJet 738s and stuff.

bo

fallingeese

Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:53 am

I will be out Saturday evening if Serge is out there. But if you're gunna be out in the morning Bo, I'll show then too, then race to work....geezz.... sound framiliar!

serge

Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:25 pm

Hi Bo, Mark, Jason...

Hopefully it'll work out Saturday evening for us.. I'm trying to think if my dad and I will be at the airport that evening, my dad might want to hit the mountains instead around that time  Nuts  Big grin.

I'll let you guys know if I can get more specific...

regards,
Serge

BO__einG

Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:52 pm

Saturday evening won't do good for me unfortunetly, work is the main reason why. Sunday will also be bad for spotting due to the same reason as from Saturday. During the daytime like the afternoon I can be available.

Is there a Lunar Eclipse tonight because the moon is purple!

Bo

fallingeese

Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:54 pm

BO I'm thinking I might show early on Saturday. But I'd have to leave you at 11am. What time does the "white wonder weiner" depart?

VonRichtofen

Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:12 pm

Well I work 10:30am to 9pm Saturday.

But I guess I'll see all the same stuff you guys will but with a better view  Big grin

Too bad I can't meet you guys at the spotting places though.

I'm off Sunday if anybody is interested.

Kris

fallingeese

Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:27 am

Sunday I might be around, I get off at 4 Sunday so I could make it out in time. Saturday I'll be out a 6 meeting Serge. Bo, will you be there saturday morning?

BO__einG

Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:42 am

Hey mark and the rest.
I can't make it to the airport for the morning today. I'm not even sure if I can make it to YYC at all today. I want to try and be there around 2pm at the latest to do some spotting but some things have come up and that might cancell my trip for today.

For tomorrow, I could try and make it up there in the morning, but I am kidna reluctant to do that. But I will probably come around the afternoon for some spotting. Around 5 or so I would head to work.

Bo

fallingeese

Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:47 pm

Geezz... guys i feel sorry for you.

JMC left as usual but the was a MNG Cargo A300....Raf L1011.....aswell as an Air Canada A330, i think it might have been a diversion.

VonRichtofen

Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:44 pm

You won't feel sorry for me Mark  Big grin

AC Sends A330's regularly now.

I saw MNG up close and personal.

Also a Trade Winds Cargo A300 was here last night. I think it might have something to do with the Emery 727 that's been sitting on the ramp for a couple days now.

Kris

fallingeese

Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:53 pm

Any idea if MNG is comming again? TradeWinds is a regular now....I wonder when the RAF L1011 will stop appearing?

BO__einG

Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:47 pm

Yarg! I missed those!

Kris I hope your right about Air Canada A330 coming everyday now.  Smile I gotta catch em all! (Just like POKEMON!)  Big grin jk.
I ain't no juvenile poof goof.

I checked this morning, and it said there was two Tradewinds cargo A300 planes. I assume one is the real one which came last night, and the other is this MNG cargo.
Hopefully Sunday will bring some good planes worth watching. I will be at the 34 picnic as usual. If ruwnay 16 is in use: well I hope it isnt or else I will try and walk all the way up to Airport trail and watch the approaches.

Bo

fallingeese

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:05 pm

Bo, Kris. What is Monday look like for you guys? Sunday I'm working 11-4 so i won't be out, well I might go in the evening again but I highly doubt it...I'm going rim shopping with my friend...lol.

ILS.25L

Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:49 pm

Hi guys,
I am planning a 1 week stay around some Canadian airports but this will not be before the month of November. So I am wondering what kind of weather can be expected during this period.
Initial itinerary = FRA-YYZ-YYC-YVR-FRA
The leg FRA-YYZ and YYZ-FRA would be flown by L1011 and A330.
The other legs by AC or their affiliates but I am wondering how I can find out if a particular AC-flight is flown by Tango, Jazz or Zip ? I am also wondering if Westjet or Canjet are low-cost companies.
Thanks anyway for info.
Karl

BO__einG

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:26 am

Hey Mark,

I wont be going today. Look at the weather outside. Freaking Rankin.
I can try and see if I can go there tomorrow. I work 12-5 and Maybe I can spend the evening?

Westjet and Canjet are low clost carriers and any Air Canada flight that starts with a 6*** such as 6011 is a tango flight. I am not sure what Zip flights are as they havent started flights yet.

Has anyone seen ZIP's ad posters?? Man do they look gross!

"ahhh" "hey" "wee" Pitiful marketing strategy.

Bo

c172akula

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:35 am

The YYC 'Crew' is representing once again. Hope everything is going great for all of you. I was flying all day yesterday and had a great view of that AC330 landing on 16, looks great in AC colors. Now was that Tradewinds A300 your talking about mainly yellow on the fuselage with a slightly purple tail? Because I saw that at the cargo ramp around 4:30.

As Bo just said in the above post, rain and more rain today, plus lots of wind in the early afternoon. Pretty miserable.

Here's a hot spotting tip! On September 4 (Wednesday) look to see the DA40 Diamondstar arriving from Springbank for an oil change! C-FNAC

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerry Hill

Later all

fallingeese

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:53 am

Nope, it was definentally MNG Cargo.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Viktor László - Budapest Aviation Photography

Tradewinds is a regular now

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

fallingeese

Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:03 am

Also does anyone know what airline the Dash 8, by Avmax belongs to? It has a blue tail, with a golden deer on it, and the writting on the back fueslage isn't english, or an latin based language. There is also an Ex. US Airways dash 8 floating around, an Origin Pacific Dash 8 at Field, and all of the Kendall's are lined up.

VonRichtofen

Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:59 am

Fallingeese:

That Dash 8 belongs to me. I got a pretty good deal on it. Right now a rotating matress and a bar are being installed. Hopfully the Bose system will be finished shortly. When that turbo props a rockin' don't come a knockin'!!

BO__einG

Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:24 am

Haha Kris! Ya its his. He let me take some nice pictures of it!  Smile
You shoulda installed a TV in there as it would of been nice watching uhh. Golf while flying in the plane./

But in truth, That dash 8 is actually owned by some regional airline in New Zealand. It is ZK- something.
There is also a dash 8 owned by Bangladesh sitting near the Kendells, or so it was said. I hammered it alright and I will send some picts to u once they are ready.  Smile