Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

737heavy
Topic Author

Things To Do At Newark?

Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:45 am

It looks like I will have a 4 hour stopover between arriving from the UK and boarding for Canada. What's Newark like for photographs?

Regards

H. Simpson

RE: Things To Do At Newark?

Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:51 am

Last time I went to EWR for spotting was about December. Things were pretty strict about spotting, I'm not sure about the current status of EWR on plane spotting...

Good luck  Big thumbs up

vir380

Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:38 am

Lee ..... ill give you a ring tomorrow re Newark

cheers Tony

:wave:

JBLUA320

Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:56 am

Dont try taking any photographs at the gate area, they will take away your camera. And they wont give itback!

If you are looking for photo ops, ride the monorail around. It gets you VERY close to some gate areas.. especially when arriving at T2.

4 hours is a stretch, unfortunately. EWR is fairly boring..

But for photos, definately the monorail.

JBLU

chris28_17

Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:18 am

Dont try taking any photographs at the gate area, they will take away your camera. And they wont give itback!

they might try but then you have a lawsuit on your hands... that's called stealing and, unlike photography, it's still illegal.

tpk

Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:33 am

I've never had a problem photographing from inside the terminal - even post 9/11. When I was there last February, I called the Port Authority police ahead of time to tell them what I was doing. I can't say they were the most helpful - basically what they said is that they know that aircraft photography is not illegal, but if someone gets "nervous" seeing me and calls it in, they will have to ask me to leave as in their eyes I constitute a nuisance.

There is an area in Terminal B to the right of the food court that has a set of windows overlooking the ramp area between the middle concourse (international) and the one that Delta and Northwest use. From here, you can photograph planes taxiing as well as runway activity (a 200 - 300mm lens is necessary for this). Also, there is a bank of phone booths that provides convenient cover from being spotted by "nervous" passengers.

Here are some shots of mine from that location. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't too good that day.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Timothy Keeney
View Large View Medium

Photo © Timothy Keeney

View Large View Medium

Photo © Timothy Keeney

Good luck.

Tim

737heavy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:48 am

What this nervous idiot passengers I think I might not bother. The last thing I need is some fool telelphoning the police and me missing my flight.

tpk

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:18 am

I can understand the way you feel. Sometimes I spend more time worrying about who is going to bother me and when someone is going to try to tell me that photography is illegal than I do focusing on which aircraft to photograph.

Growing up I used to spend hours taking photos at Newark and Logan in Boston. I wish I had appreciated it more back then given how much of a hassle it can be now.

Take care.

Tim

Carlos Borda

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:01 am

Boring? It's the busiest of the big three airports in the Tri-State area!
No doubt Conti definitely runs most of the show at EWR, but you'll see your fair share of other domestic and international goodies around for sure... this past weekend VS A340-600 was here. Very nice...

Photo ops from the end of Terminal C are impossible now unless your a ticketed pax. Before 9/11 anyone could walk down there.

~Carlos

JBLUA320 writes:

>>4 hours is a stretch, unfortunately. EWR is fairly boring..<<

Alaskaairlines

Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:26 pm

I thought it was pretty good, I flew in and out of there this past summer. Will arrive into EWYin a week, maybe I can get a shot or 2 while I am at the airport. Carlos, I arrive on an Alaska flight from ANC via SEA, any idea what terminal it will pull into? Any chances to get some good pics?

-Dmitry

dstc47

Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:07 pm

You could always take a trip to the IKEA at Elizabeth, - either to kill time or to take photos of landing traffic with a 200mm.

The upstairs cafe there has good visibility, but smeary windows. Outside the collection point there is a fair view of the active, but with a chain link fence and interstate in the way to prevent touchdown shots.

H. Simpson

Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:18 am

Also let me add something to the IKEA spot:

You also have to deal with local police there, but they generally don't give you headache. I have some few success shots of 777 there, and they turned out nicely! Big grin(not A.net quality though)

Carlos Borda

Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:16 am

An Alaska Airlines flight to EWR?? They don't fly into EWR as far as I know...
But if your flying in on Conti it will be Terminal C.

~Carlos

Dmitry writes:

>>Carlos, I arrive on an Alaska flight from ANC via SEA, any idea what terminal it will pull into? Any chances to get some good pics?

-Dmitry<<

737heavy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:31 am

I'm only in Newark for an hour now.

Thanks