Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vir380
Topic Author

New England Airports!

Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:48 pm

Hi all. im going to MA in January , after having a look around ...i noticed that there will be a couple of airports close by ( lucky me )

they are Manchester NH and Rhode Island !

i would like your help if possible.... where if any are there any viewing decks or any places to park up without getting bothered , in fact any help whatsoever on photo opportunities for these two airports

any help would be very grateful !

thanks Tony

:wave:

ake0404ar

RE: New England Airports!

Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:37 am

Tony,

MA would be as Mass?
Why don't you head out to Logan, lot's more traffic than PVD and MST.

There are plenty of spots around Logan, were no one will bother you as long as you comply with the rules.....

Vasco G.

vir380
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:29 am

Hi Vasco ..
thanks for the reply ...
ill be arriving at Boston from Newark, so ill be doing a bit there ... i was wondering if there was anything else while i was there , hoping that i may get some unusual stuff at a smaller airport maybe ..

cheers Tony

ake0404ar

Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:01 am

If you want to get some unusual stuff, you might wanna go to either Bedford or Hanscom AFB a good 45 min ride away from BOS. Well then again, Bedford could be too small.....

Worchester, east of Boston might be an alternative as well.

Vasco

ren41

Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:10 am

Worcester is about 45min WEST of Boston. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it gets some Delta CRJ's and US Airways Dash 8's.

R41

tpk

Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:13 am

I think some people would beg to differ about not being bothered at Logan. Sounds to me like it's become a police state (unless you "know" someone).

tpk

Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:34 am

Sorry, Vasco. I mis-read your post. I didn't see that you said around Logan (probably Castle Island, Winthrop, etc.).

As you can see I have a little pent up anger about the fact that Logan was unfairly blamed for the attacks and that photographers and aircraft enthusiasts are no longer welcome there. Growing up in Connecticut, I used to spend a lot of time photographing from Logan before 9/11, but based on the stories of some of the members here, I haven't been back since.

Still, I agree that it is/was one of the best airports to photograph from in terms of variety and scenery. Tony, if you are able to spend some time there (aside from the potential for harassment), I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tim

vir380
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:51 pm

Ill be staying in Worcester .... last time i was there .... 1 arrival & 1 Dept in about 5 hours  Sad

i shall maybe looking at Bedford and Hanscom . thats very much all !

you never know . it could be me your stood next to " the phantom English photographer"

Smile

Cheers Tony

ake0404ar

Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:30 pm

Tim,

I never had a problem with photographing planes at Boston, but then again I stayed in Winthrop, Souhtie and East Boston.

Don't know how the parking garage at Terminal B is these days, maybe Chris Liao can comment.

Vasco

flpuck6

Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:33 am

Hi everyone-

I must honestly say that I do not quite know the spotting situation atop of Terminal B...I haven't been up there since the summer before 9/11/01.
Like Vasco says, if you find the right spots around Chelsea, Winthrop, and keep to yourself, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Providence, RI (PVD) still sees a healthy traffic flow, albeit all the regional majors and Southwest. The airport road on the perimeter of 5/23 is good for morning photography, probably good until about 2pm now with the winter sun.

I apologize I cannot be of more help since I am too lazy to venture to spots outside of the airfields.

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!