Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLAX
Topic Author

Do You Listen To Music While Spotting?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:29 am

I do, it helps pass the time between landings or movements. TLS is a pretty slow airport most of the time. I was listening to Placebo-Special Needs when I took this pic:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Clovis J. Bouhier

I like it how the pics I think are really great nobody looks at, and the ones I think were only mediocre are really popular...  Laugh out loud

-Clovis

avroarrow

RE: Do You Listen To Music While Spotting?

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:00 am

Nope, I'll listen to ATIS, Tower, Approach and Departure. Other than that I'm usually talking to people about this and that. I'm with you on the discrepancy of opinion between myself and the masses though. I almost didn't upload my most popular photo in the DB, shows what I know.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

JoakimE

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:04 am

At my home airport I usually listen to the radio, and the scanner of course between movements, since "Sky Express 725" arrives at 11:45 Local time, and the next movement (Sky Express 728) isn't until 14:50 local. When shooting I usually prefer to only listen to the beautiful sound from the engines though  Big grin

725 on the left arriving at 11:48, 729 on the right arriving 10 minutes late at 15:10 local time, *yawn* Big grin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joakim Ewenson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Joakim Ewenson

gocaps16

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:05 am

I always have my hand-held scanner with me while I'm at the airport. Also, I don't wear headphones since alot of people who visits to the airports are also interested in hearing the tower frequency, which wonders most watch planes next to me then they start a convo like "what's the frequency on that" or "Are you listening to the control tower?" I had one guy come up to me at BWI during the weekend asking me how much my scanner and my digital SLR cost. Also, during the time lapse, I talked to a female commercial pilot who was next to me spotting. We were mainly talking about flying, of course. It was fun.

Kevin

LGW

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:07 am

I used to ocassionally use my scanner but to be honest it isnt my idea of fun  Smile

If I am with someone, dad, friend at the airport I do not listen to music.

When I am on my own I sometimes do, sometimes dont. Normally I only do if for example I am in one spot for a long period fo time to pass the time.

If I am at an airport on a saturday afternoon I have to have the radio on to listen to the footy scores (I have to keep myself from cheering when Reading score  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Maybe I should have been listening to Travis, Why does it always rain on me for this shot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Pritchard

Big thumbs up

Ben Pritchard

KLAX
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:15 am

Well, I WOULD listen to ATC, which sounds like music to my ears (when in LA), but my scanner crapped out. Plus scanners are against the law in France.  Angry

-Clovis

P.S. Nice 1 Ben

EGGD

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:45 am

Never..

I never go out in anymore. The last 3 weeks its been sunny everyday, I decided to go out, but mothers day weekend I couldn't because my dad was busy, but last weekend everything was totally free. Oh and guess what, 20C weather and sun all weekend!! Then when I get up on Saturday morning, the sun isn't to be seen. Same for the whole day on Sunday. I get up on monday morning and it is BRIGHT SUNSHINE again!

I haven't been out to photograph in the sun since I first went out with my digital camera in December 2001, every single other time its rained heavily or its been overcast, or changeable or too dark...

blah..

LGW

Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:50 am

Dan,

My sister is at university in Bristol and she tells me you have great weather normally down there  Wink/being sarcastic

Ben Pritchard

aa61hvy

Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:23 am

I don't listen to music when I am actually spotting because I have to hear the engines! Otherwise I might as well not look at the plane. But me and my buddy have certain airport cd's. Sega Saturns Wipe Out cd (techno/trance) and Michael Jackson Thriller. Don't ask why because I don't know.
Go big or go home

EGGD

Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:58 am

Yes, the weather is great down here except when I go to the airport, thats why I'm so damn unlucky  Sad

707CMF

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:05 am

Plus scanners are against the law in France

Yet another false idea...

Good news for you Clovis, scanner are not outlawed in France, otherwise you could not buy them in France.

A transceiver would be something else, you would need a radio-operator licence for that (included in the PPL degree  Wink/being sarcastic )

Keep in mind that as long as it receives only Air band (like my faithfull AR108), it is allowed. If a cop argues with that, just tell him you are in flight training and that your FI told you to improve your radio skills by listening to the ATC (my FI *did* tell me that  Smile/happy/getting dizzy. Now, he wishes ly landing skills were as good as my radio skills Big grin )

As for music while spotting, well, I don't like to spot alone, so... no music. Just chatting with friends.

Cheers, and good night (I should have gone to bed 1 hour ago. Darn A.net upload 'speed')

Antoine

Continental

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:17 am

I gotta get a scanner. MSP is quite busy, though those damn DC-9s hurt the ears!!!

co

melflyer

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:21 am

I don't have a scanner yet so music is my choice of entertainment especially if there are a couple of us and we have an esky full of beer. The music also works well to get rid of the calls "Can we go home now, i'm bored" from the other half.

Cheers

N178UA

Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:08 am

Very nice thought Clovis, Yes, I listen to music (mainly pop and some different culture ones on mp3) in my earphone and during shooting when no one was around me! I don't listen to scanner very much or worried about things. I am sort of a relax and easy guy and that's how I believe to get some nice unusual planes at times! I just have some great feelings when a 747 flown over my head and the music keeps my feeling going strong! I have also a few songs dedicated to airlines, so I can listen to the particular ones for the particular airline taking off in action. I found the atmosphere for shooting under music is very speical and romantic!

Glad we share some thought.

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

rsmith6621a

Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:15 am

I don't carry a multi band scanner...it freaks out the airport police dept to much so I carry my lil ole Radio Shack aircraft band radio.

As far as listening to MUSIC!!!!....I am either to busy making sure I don't step in a pile of doggie pooh or waiting to greet Officer friendly.

Regards.....
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

KLAX
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:11 pm

Sam, you're right, even when listening to music, it becomes background noise when an aircraft lands. Besides, I feel the only engines worth listening to are 727/707/732 or DC-8 engines Big grin

-Clovis

P.S. Antoine, my scanner has a transmitter, and the one without a transmitter broke  Insane

Smile

jettrader

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:23 pm

I'd probably say that music was my number one passion...before aviation photography. I listen to music ALL the time when I'm not out taking pictures.

When I am out taking pictures I prefer to chat and just listen to the engine noise  Big thumbs up

And Clovis...I'm going to see Placebo in a few days time in Birmingham, UK (Mon 14th April 2003). Their new album (Sleeping With Ghosts) is great!

Cheers,
Dean
Life's dangerous. Get a f**king helmet!

kaddyuk

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:25 pm

I listen to Key 103 or Galaxy 102 while spotting. I dont have the luxury of a scanner so I have to use the radio on my phone for entertainment in between movements.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Granite

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:27 pm

Hi all

I talk to myself  Smile

Ben, blooming 'ell, the Thai MD11..........bad centred if ever I have seen one  Smile

Cheers

Gary

KLAX
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:33 pm

Yeah that shot belongs on www.waterspraypictures.net if you ask me  Big grin

-Clovis

VonRichtofen

Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:15 am

I listen to Danger Zone, especially when a 767 is roaring overhead Big grin

cfalk

Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:50 pm

The sound of a departing Tu-134 is music to my ears.

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

CPH-R

Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:06 pm

I usually listen to my compilations (Ministry of Sound, Global Underground etc.), except when standing on Kystvejen. There's just something about standing there when the aircrafts are flying over you at 100' Big grin

.. I still kick myself for leaving 3 minutes before one of MyTravel's A330's came in, but it had been quiet for a while (even the scanner was quiet apart from a few enroute aircrafts checking in).