Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Last Minute Advice Needed With My D100

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:31 am

I've mentioned it several times before, but I have horrible dust spots on my D100 that I haven't been able to 'just blow off.' So I've called all the local camera shops, most of them won't touch it and say that I should send it back to Nikon. If I send it back to Nikon, I'll be without my camera for 2 weeks and it'll be $50. Now a local camera shop has said they would clean it for $50.

My question is should I just go ahead and buy SpeckGRABBER and try to fix it myself or pay $50 to have a professional do it? I feel confident that I won't screw up the camera, but I just worry that maybe the SpeckGRABBER won't get everything off. On the flip side, I am working on a limited budget and the less dough I have to spend, the better.

I'm leaving in 2 hours, what do you guys think I should do?

Thanks,
Hank

clickhappy

RE: Last Minute Advice Needed With My D100

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 am

Sam Chui just did miracles with my D100. Go buy one of those hand-held blowers, set your camera to bulb mode, turn it upside down, hold the shutter button open and use the blower. All the hair and dirt and crap will fall out. it is about a 90% success operation, you wont get it all, but you will get most of it.

aagold

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:39 am

I just sent an e-mail to Nikon in Melville, NY about cleaning the CCD. They quoted $25 to clean with no time specified. I've tried blowing it off to no avail. Time to bite the bullet and let them do it. I'd rather they screw it up (because they'd have to fix it) than me.

Art

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:42 am

This is a low resolution blank shot taken at F36 just to give you an idea of how much dirt/dust is on this thing.

(rotated 90 degrees)

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:44 am

Art, they also told me $25, but shipping is like $12.50 each way. Their turnaround time is 1 week, but the shipping will make it at least two... I just can't go without my camera for that long. I have too much going on in my life this summer.

Hank

andyhunt
Head Screener

Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:56 am

It won't help you noe, but for future reference........use

http://www.photosol.com

and buy the sensorswab. I've used it for 2 years with my Fuji S1 and never had a problem. Works like a dream.

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

aagold

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:40 am

Andrew,

If you read the info about the SensorSwab, it says not approved by Nikon for its use and "use at your own risk." I'd like to hear from a D100 who has used it and the results they got before taking the chance. I imagine replacing a damaged chip is a lot more expensive than giving the camera to Nikon for $25.

Hank,

I understand the mailing costs. I'm pretty local to Melville so I was going to drop it off rather than mail it. Seems wrong to mail what I consider sensitive electronic equipment.

Art

clickhappy

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:50 am

they will FedEx your camera back to you if you request it (and pay for it)

You have to make a choice. Spend $$$ and time and have them do it, do it yourself, or ignore the problem.

fallingeese

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:11 am

Clickhappy, how do I get "bulb mode", and then hold the shutter down with one finger, and use the other hand to use the blower?

I got a big shoot on Tuesday, so I would like a clean sensor, instead of having to edit alot of splotches out.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

clickhappy

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:28 am

Mark, spin the Function Dial (most likely set in P) over to M. Then hold down the small format button (near the shutter button) and spin the rotating wheel until you hit "Bulb" When you press the shutter button in bulb the mirror will raise until you release the shutter. Hold the camera upside down and use the blower to get rid of most of the gunk.

Some notes, make sure your battery is fully charged, you will be working with the body only, no lens attached, and don't use canned or pressure air, use a bulb like this, from your local camera store.

jon01

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:40 am

In 'Bulb' mode the sensor is active and the static could attract more dust/debris during/after the cleaning process. The correct way to do it is with the Nikon EH-5 mains adaptor attached and select 'CCD Cleaning' from the menu.

Jon

andyhunt
Head Screener

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:46 am

Art,

Correct, not approved by Nikon........but is that "disapproved" or just simply "can't be bothered to endorse" not approved. I think the latter.

Why would Nikon want to approve something that gives them nothing but the possibility of a legal headache if anything goes wrong? The consequence of a ridiculous legal system in the USA where everyone can take everyone to court for anything.

But each to their own, just seems so sad that it has to be sent backwards and forwards for a simple clean............with a higher % probability that it will get damaged in the mailing process Big grin

Like I said, I have used the swab for more than 2 years, approx. 25+ times, without a hitch, and I can't see the Fuji sensor being vastly different than the S1 sensor, or S2 sensor for that matter.

Andrew

clickhappy

Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:00 am

Before and after.

Delta777-XXX
Topic Author

RE: Update

Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:55 pm

Well, I bought the SpeckGRABBER. Boy am I glad I did! The tool is incredible and removed all spots on the censor.

Also, one of the DL Supertug operators rode me around the airport in the tug today. I got some excellent shots. I also climbed aboard the newest Song 757 (completed painting yesterday) and took tons of pictures. Maybe I'll be able to get some of them accepted.

Thanks for your help!

Hank

ckw

Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:15 pm

Art - regarding the sensor swab, the same disclaimer applies to Canon as well, but after reading a lot of other people's experiences and thinking about what is involved, I decided to risk it, and am happy with the results.

The swab and Eclipse cleaning fluid cannot harm the sensor (or more correctly, the glass anti-aliasing filter which sits in front of the sensor). However, there is an element of risk involved - unless care is taken, you could do physical damage (if, for example, you allowed a piece of grit to become embedded in the swab), so I well understand that Nikon/Canon would not endorse the practice. Similarly, the speck-grabber, used as directed, will not cause harm - but there is potential for mis-use.

Bottom line for me was that a camera which had to be sent away periodically for cleaning was effectively useless as far as I was concerned - there's no predicting when you'll need to clean, or the frequency. I felt getting the right materials and doing it myself was an integral part of DSLR ownership.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

aagold

Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:28 pm

Colin,

Thanks for the first-hand info. It helps. I've considered it as my CCD right now is pretty bad and in need of a cleaning. I just called Nikon the other day about it because something needs to be done quickly. To much time cloning out the dust spots.

Reading your posts makes me more willing to give it a whirl myself because I agree that periodically sending the camera out isn't a good idea at all. You need to clean it yourself when it needs cleaning even if it's in the middle of a trip or whatever.

But when you read the Nikon user manual it warns you that even brushing the filter with a brush might damage it. They warn you not to touch the filter so it sounds really sensitive and easily damaged. That's enough to scare you out of doing it yourself.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Art

andyhunt
Head Screener

Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:59 pm

Good luck Art, and don't worry, it will work like a dream.

Andrew

Skymonster

Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:18 am

Found this in the dpreview canon SLR forum:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots