Topic Author

2 Rejections -no Way!

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:31 am

Thanks to the screener who just rejected two of my most interesting shots ever:

https://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=27rappeglloct4.jpg

(badcentered)

https://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.mainfilename=gboaceglldep1oct4.jpg

(badscan)

The Concorde shot was taken in near darkness to show the re-heat, you can also see the cabin lights. How can anyone reject a Concorde photo in it's last month of operation? If anyone can take a better shot in this light of an object moving at 200mph. i'd like to see it.....

The aircraft approaching EGLL shot I thought was interesting and of good quality and something different, i just put the concorde tail in for added interest. The rest of the aircraft was obscured anyway.

Oh and it was a screener under training!

When I uploaded them I was expecting an instant acception, never expected a rejection at all.

Thanks a lot,

Jon

dc-10 levo

RE: 2 Rejections -no Way!

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:38 am

The 2nd one doesn't work, you missed the ? out:

https://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=gboaceglldep1oct4.jpg

Really like the first one, but I'm not sure about the Concorde after takeoff one.

DC-10

EGGD

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:39 am

I think the lineup shot warrants a rejection, its quite interesting but not quite A.net material. I think the Concorde tail gets in the way, and the approaching aircraft aren't big enough in the frame.

I can't see the other photo.

Cheers

Dan

EGGD

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:44 am

Concorde pic is stunning..

Maybe brighten it up a little bit and add a little more contrast?

Skymonster

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:56 am

Have to agree with the screener who rejected those two...

The picture of aircraft on approach doesn't work... Might have done without the Concorde tail, but as it is it looks like you were shooting a string of approaches and Concorde happened to get in the way.

The Concorde take off is probably unsalvageable... Whilst its an interesting picture, the image quality just isn't there and its a bit soft, so I doubt manipulation is going to pull it back.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

JeffM

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:01 am

Come on Jon, Just because it is a concorde shot does not mean acceptance. And just because you claim it is so difficult, and think it is such a good shot that you put out a challenge, daring someone to try and "beat" it? Please...If the light is so bad, and the plane so fast why bother complaining when the shot just doesn't work out?

As for the first shot, I like the idea, I think the conditions were right, I just agree that the tail is too dominating in the shot, and the other planes were just too small in comparison. In those situations, I would have tried as many combinations as time would have allowed, and not put all the eggs in one basket so to speak.

Hopefully that "screener in training" doesn't read your post.

Oh, and why don't you just appeal them? Or do I get the impression you already have one or two already in that queue....

v/r
Jeff

MIA777

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:05 am

Wow! I think that Concorde pic is awesome....reminds of the Blackbird's engine heat...
MIA777

Granite

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:22 am

Hi all

Concorde tail image also has badborder at right hand side.
For me, Badmotive and BadBorder

Can't see the second image.

Regards

Gary watt

gabep

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:52 am

I have to agree. The first shot would be better without the Concorde tail. The second photo would be great, and is, but the low light and grain make it unusable. Adding some fill and removing some of the noise might help.

Kereru

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:57 am

Jon,

I rejected the two photos, and yes I am a trainee screener, does that make a difference? However I have screened over 68000 photos since starting and I admit making a few bad calls but Johan's appeal function is there for photos to be reconsidered.

The standard of your photos in the database is very high and I am sure you would like to keep it that way. A couple I picked out for special mention below.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Simmons
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jonathan Simmons

Please use the appeal function if you think they should be reconsidered?

Regards,

Colin
Good things take Time.

glennstewart

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:43 am

Hi Jon,

I also screened your shots last night. I think all of the screeners were in agreement. I think a large number of us put comments on the photo without accepting or rejecting. I thought I may have rejected your shots, but if Colin did... then he did what I would have.

Your images were not instant accepts... actually they were not even borderline. The first image if certainly bad motiv given a small slice of the Concorde tail in the corner of the shot.
I would have rejected bad motiv.
In addition you have bad border, which by itself is a valid rejection alone.
Your Concorde approach shot is far too dark and grainy.

To be honest, even though it is getting close to the end of the life of Concorde, the number of Concorde shots being submitted has skyrocketed. This is in addition to being among the most photographed aircraft.
Both situations lead to MUCH higher standards required, therefore leading to a very high rejection rate on such shots.

I would recommended photographers wanting to take shots of the last remaining Concordes to
1. Take historic notable shots (i.e. last flight)
2a. To take shots in perfect weather OR
2b. Take interesting, non standard shots that are within the normal bounds of acceptance.

Make the shots among the best you've taken in order to stand out from the hundreds of Concorde shots we are receiving each week.

Btw... in my opinon Jon, these shots were below your normal standards, so a rejection may have been expected.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Stewart
Photo Screening Crew
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

BO__einG

Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:41 pm

To be honest, even though it is getting close to the end of the life of Concorde, the number of Concorde shots being submitted has skyrocketed. This is in addition to being among the most photographed aircraft.
Both situations lead to MUCH higher standards required, therefore leading to a very high rejection rate on such shots.

Ahh Crap! Now I can't upload MY Concorde shots taken at YYZ when it came for a farewell visit because so many others already have..
Damm Slides take nearly a week to process.
Plus the added poo weather when it came won't help much either..
Bah! Maybe I will upload a few in a few years.  Laugh out loud Not likely

As for your shots Jon, your first shot would of been an instant blockbuster had that tail been the Concorde nose with both pilots looking at the incoming traffic.

Second shot is awesome! but unfortunetly the standards are very high and in these conditions, despite shooting it may be possible but limitations like grain/blur shoulda been expected.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.