Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjv04
Topic Author

Camera Tie!

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:44 pm

Hey guys
Which camera should i buy.

Im in a tie with the Minolta diMAGE Z1 and the cannon powershot A80.
The minolta has a 3.2MP and a 10X zoom, and the cannon has 4MP and at 3X zoom. For a.net standards would the differnce between the 3.2MP and the 4MP be noticable?
Any Help would be appreciated.

futterman

RE: Camera Tie!

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:47 pm

ive been working with the olympus c-740 since august. 3.2MP, 10x optical. it does the job. i wouldnt sacrifice two thirds of the zoom for less than another milliion pixels. go for the minolta, i say. i also say, enjoy this senseless plug  Big thumbs up:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Futterman

fallingeese

Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:38 am

Kris just bought himself an A80. It lacks zoom, but it is a nice little camera.

Westjet_737

Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:53 pm

Actually I cant decide between these two myself. Since I'm going to NYC this summer I really need a good digicam  Smile

At first glance it seems that the Minolta is better but it seems to have quite a bad problem with CA. It's build quality also looks considerably lower than that of the Canon. But 10x zoom would be awesome.

I have read nothing but good things about the Canon. It's zoom is weak though.

Anyway, Shane have you made your decision yet? If not I will just tell you that if you decide on the Minolta, Memory Express (North and South Calgary) sell it for $579.95+GST quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else I have seen.

Chris,

vafi88

Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:08 pm

May I suggest the Sony F707? or Sony F717? For about 600$ (local store) you can have 5 megapixels and 5x optical (10x altogether) zoom. I Use this camera and have great results.

BTW- I found my Sony F707 for 500$ brand new on Ebay and the guy threw in a 16, 32, 64 mb sticks for free.

jwenting

RE: What Figher Planes Would Have Been Available?

Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:38 pm

Then there is the Nikon Coolpix 5700. 5MP and a lot of zoom as well (don't have the number, I think it's 7x -10x without adding a TC).
Doesn't need Sony specific memorysticks as well, accepting standard CF cards which you can reuse if and when you upgrade to a DSLR.

TS

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:35 pm

The Nikon Coolpix 5700 is still selling at around €1000.  Nuts For just €100 more you'd get the Canon 300D & the 75-300. I think the money would be better spent this way.

Thomas

SlamClick

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:20 am

Not real familar with the two you are looking at, but my ignorance never stopped me from having opinions before.

I am currently using a Sony F707. I bought it for the enormous Carl Zeiss lens that is standard. It is also 5mp. I also use a Minolta SR-1, Minolta SRT-101 and a Speed Graphic 4x5. I do a lot of scanning of historic photos, mostly taken with cameras that used enormous negatives. What I have noticed is the truth of a basic lesson: You have to get a lot of information into the image somehow.

In digital that data is MP. In film cameras negative size counts for a lot. I have seen negatives measuring maybe 3x5 inches that were exposed with a tiny little low-tech cheap lens. There is still so much information in these pictures that they are truly amazing. You can take a jeweler's loupe and read signs in the distance and so on.

Even the most expensive digital cameras are nowhere near this kind of resolution. The good news is that their lenses are superior to just about anything available a generation ago.

With all that in mind, what I'd do is weight megapixels over zoom. And "digital zoom" would get no weight at all. I have that feature turned off on my F707. You can get better "zoom" by cropping in Photoshop. But if I'd favor MP over zoom, I would also factor in the size of the lens - the actual glass part, not the big barrel around it. You have to get all that image into the camera in the first place and you have one chance to do that. All other considerations aside, it all comes in through the lens.

I guess, to sum it up, if you need big zoom capability you are a long way from your subject and the picture quality is not likely to be there for you without a high resolution camera. The high MP ratings also hugely improve your low-light photos.