Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

j.mo
Topic Author

SLC Observation Area Now Closed!

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:48 pm

I was home in Jan. and SLC Airport has closed the wonderful observation area they had there on the south side of the airport. I have tried contacting them to find out why it is closed but they have decided to ignore me.

This was a place alot of people, myself included, would bring their kids to watch planes. There was a nice park area with trees,walking paths, tables and even the tower piped in over loudspeakers. I figured if anyone else cared to email them for a reason and told them how much we liked it, they "might" respond. So, here are the email addresses. Feel free to write. They cannot ignore all of us.

Barbara Gann
Public Relations/Marketing Director
[email protected]

Steve Domino
Director, Planning & Programming
[email protected]

Randy Berg
Director, Operations
[email protected]

I don't know how to "link" email addresses. Sorry.

JeffM

RE: SLC Observation Area Now Closed!

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:33 pm

Jeremy,
I was there in December and was stopped numerous times there. What they told me was that they closed the parking area, but the walking path would remain. I ended up parking over in the golf course parking lot and just walking over.

As to them ignoring everyone? Yes, they can. We are experiencing something similar here in Denver.

tpk

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:14 am

I was there in October and did the same thing as Jeff - just parked at the golf course and walked over. A few police cars drove by me on their rounds, but no one stopped to say anything.

It's funny how they presumably deem the viewing park lot a security risk, but the golf course lot, probably no more than 50 feet away, goes unnoticed.

clickhappy

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:50 am

I hope it is not closed, SLC has one of the best viewing areas around, I loved the shots I was able to take there (here let me plug a few!).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King

One of the great things, aside from the obvious, is that the sun is behind you most of the day.

rsmith6621a

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:52 am

Tpk said.....
>>>>>>It's funny how they presumably deem the viewing park lot a security risk, but the golf course lot, probably no more than 50 feet away, goes unnoticed. <<<<<

Isnt Hypocricy great this is what the formation of TSA has done for our hobby...Ill bet if the golf course wasnt contributing to the TAX base of the city of SLC they probably would deem it off limits to......

I cant wait for the Patriot Act to get into full force.......Boy they could come and arrest us without giving us a reason and then hold us indefinitly.....And then lablel us terroist...........Ya Got to Love Tommy Boy.

Sorry for turning this political.....
Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

j.mo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:09 pm

I was emailing them once a day asking why they closed it. I got no response. My email was probably blocked. That's why I posted this in hopes someone else would try and email them.

It is a great place to watch planes and if their reason is for "security," like it has been posted, the golf course is close and also a walkway that runs east and west south of the runway that is still open. Maybe I care too much but damn, I liked being there without looking "suspicious."

Jeremy

sushka

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:44 pm

Yes that place was great. But it has been closed for a loooooong time.
Whenever I go I just park at Fedex and walk over.

Other times I park at Delta logistics and take pictures at the fence, or on the far west side by 34L.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

clickhappy

Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:34 am

it hasnt been closed for a long time, I was there a year ago, it was open

JeffM

Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:51 am

it's a relative term.... I would say sitting in a Dentist's chair for a year would be a Loooooong time. But if it only took a year to get a Masters degree it wouldn't be.

It was not officially closed when I visited in Decmeber. The airport cop said it was "in the works".