Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

leviticus
Topic Author

Anybody Tried The Fuji S5000?

Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:02 am

I am planning to buy one, found some really good deals. Have any of you tried this camera before ? I have heard that it is quite good compared to it's size and price. Any advice ?

And oh yes, aviation photography might not be the main reason for getting it but sure, if I am near an airport and ran out of film to my SLR then why not.

Thanks

707CMF

RE: Anybody Tried The Fuji S5000?

Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:25 am

You really ask for the plugs, do you ?

I own a S5000, and get quite decents results with it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

Good camera overall, but I am soon leavig it to go DSLR...

britman

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:15 am

I am the owner of a s5000, i paid a visit to Manchester airport at the weekend to test my camera out, i must say that i,m not really impressed with my results so far, when i zoom in on a certain subject the final result does not seem to clear at all, to much noise i think.i have compared my pictures to other a.netters pictures on here that where taken on the same day and they are by far better than mine, but with me being a beginner i,m still getting used to my settings so maybe i,m doing something wrong. all my pictures i took at the weekend where done on automatic settings, as i said i am still a beginner myself and want to use my camera and get great shots like other a.netters.
This morning i went to Manchester again which for me i think is lucky as i live locally and tried my camera out again,this time on manual settings, the results are slightly better but still not impressed,i am finding it quite frustrating but i,m sure with the correct advice and help from other a.netters i,ll get the shot that i,m looking for.

707 CMF. You have some good pictures there, that you have taken with your s5000, can i ask what settings you used, they are very clear,not like mine, i have over the weekend taken many pictures but wont upload to the a.net database as i know they will be rejected. any help you can offer will be very much appreciated.

thanks

Britman

britman

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:22 am

I am the owner of a s5000, i paid a visit to Manchester airport at the weekend to test my camera out, i must say that i,m not really impressed with my results so far, when i zoom in on a certain subject the final result does not seem to clear at all, to much noise i think.i have compared my pictures to other a.netters pictures on here that where taken on the same day and they are by far better than mine, but with me being a beginner i,m still getting used to my settings so maybe i,m doing something wrong. all my pictures i took at the weekend where done on automatic settings, as i said i am still a beginner myself and want to use my camera and get great shots like other a.netters.
This morning i went to Manchester again which for me i think is lucky as i live locally and tried my camera out again,this time on manual settings, the results are slightly better but still not impressed,i am finding it quite frustrating but i,m sure with the correct advice and help from other a.netters i,ll get the shot that i,m looking for.

707 CMF. You have some good pictures there, that you have taken with your s5000, can i ask what settings you used, they are very clear,not like mine, i have over the weekend taken many pictures but wont upload to the a.net database as i know they will be rejected. any help you can offer will be very much appreciated.

thanks

Britman

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:25 am

Yes, 707cmf does some nice work.
However, try do this with your S5000 Big grin :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Photo taken through glass, should I add.
My last pic with the S5000 was incidentally my best with that camera  Smile
Settings ? Full auto mode (let the #@/§! camera do the work)

UTA

leviticus
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:32 am

Hi again and thanx for the information provided, UTAs and 707s pictures look really good but as britman pointed out, maybe there have to be perfect conditions to be able to take good shots. Well I suppose I have to test the camera before buying it, maybe a "Minolta Dimage Z1" would be better ? The price is almost the same but I have heard that the picture quality is better.

britman

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:07 am

well, for the 3rd time this week i,ve visited Manchester airport to test out my s5000 and i,m not at all happy,i am trying all kinds of settings and i,m just not getting the results. last sunday the weather was perfect,the pix i took that day were not bad,they where just grainy but looking back thats my fault for using the zoom while only using 1m pixels and 2m pixels,this morning i went to test the camera out using the full 6m pixels, the weather was overcast,the pictures looked superb through the viewfinder but when i got home everyone of the 80+ pix i took where very dark indeed and still grainy...GGGRRRRRR ! what am i doing wrong.

i was thinking of purchasing myself another lens too, a teleconverter but i dont think i,ll bother as for some reason i cant use the one i,ve already got.

ps. even on automatic mode the results where poor today.

help is very much needed..thanks

Lekky-Man

Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:59 am

Hi Britman,

Are you using any post photo processing?

NeatImage is very good,

That would solve the 'grainyness', which is something all digital camera's suffer from.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

How about posting some of your results so we can see what you're up against?

I use the Fuji S7000, in case you're interested.

LM

[Edited 2004-03-03 23:00:06]

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Rhaaaaa, never use the 6 MP function on the S5000.
It's nothing but an interpolation a.k.a. the dreaded digital zoom !
3MP w/ S5000 :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

6MP w/ S5000 :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

UTA

707CMF

Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:10 pm

Hi again and thanx for the information provided, UTAs and 707s pictures look really good but as britman pointed out, maybe there have to be perfect conditions to be able to take good shots.

Well, perfect conditions always help, but I think post processing is one of he most important steps...

This picture :
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

indeed looks superb (and I love it), but the day it was taken was a very overcasted day. Look at those ones, taken the same day :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

See what I mean ? The liht was far from perfect, but this camera behaves quite well, once you know how to tweak the pictures (and this is true for every digicam, as a matter of fact)

cheers,

britman

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:00 pm

Thanks for the info fellow enthusiasts,all comments are welcome.

The only photo programme i have at the moment is THE MGI photosuite 3 edition, i,m not sure if its as good as what other users are post-processing with(that is if it you can call it a post-proccessing programme), theres only so much you can do with it.with a post-processing programme what can you actually do and where do i obtain these programmes from,how much..etc, there are so many on the market, are there programmes i can download?
how much is the neatimage programme?
i also believe there is a breezebrowser programme,where do i get this?
i would like to put a pic on here to show you what the quality is like but just how do i do that as i doubt airliners.net wont accept it?

i have used the 6mp..but i havent used the digizoom as i,ve been recommended not too.
all that i am bothered about is getting rid of that grainy speckled noise,if i get pictures of the quality that other photographers get on a.net i,ll be very happy indeed,but doing that i now know i need to concentrate on getting it post-processed properly.some pictures on a.net are so crystal clear and so sharp,they are excellent pics and one day i want to obtain the same results, i must remember not to get to frustrated though as i know i,m only a beginner and given time i,ll get there.

many thanks

Britman

britman

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:03 pm

Sorry, i forgot to ask this:

during the post-proccessing what actual function do you use to get rid of the grainy-ness?

thanks

Britman

Lekky-Man

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:57 am

Britman,

I too am still very much a beginner and am constanly on awe of the shots captured with Canon 10D's and stuff like that.

However, my S7000 is proving to be a very good tool sofar, I have 10 pics on A.net now, all of which have had the NeatImage treatment, which as I remember, cost me about £40 to download and use.

http://www.neatimage.com

Try it and see if you like it.

Paul.

[Edited 2004-03-04 19:58:15]

britman

Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:05 pm

Hi Lekky-Man

thanks very much for the link, i have tried it (the demo) and it does look like a very good tool, very impressed with the reduction of noise on close up shots, still working on shots of a/c lining up at a distace as they still seem quite fuzzy, i am also trying to work on the sharpness too, have you any tips on getting the sharpness exact using the programme in question too,as when i close in on certain shots of lets say the nose of the aircraft and the sky in the background,the defintion of the a/c isnt sharp at all. at the moment all i have used is the full noise reduction facility, there were to many sliders there and i werent sure which to move and which too leave.
i think i my invest in this progamme it looks very good indeed.

many thanks again

britman

Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:12 pm

just one other thought i,ve just had and that is, am i setting my expectations to high,there are many fantastic photos on here and i am assuming they are taken with cameras that are probably worth £1000,s thats if you include all the lens,accessories etc, used by proper proffessionals, as i am a beginner as i said earlier i may just be setting my sights just a bit too high.

happy snapping

Britman

Lekky-Man

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:51 am

Hi Britman,

As i've already said I am also very much a beginner. Maybe others on here can give both of us on sharpness as I struggle with that after I've cropped a picture.

I tend to find the quicker the shutter speed, as long as the light is good, the better the shot will come out. If the light is not good though, you will need a very steady hand. Not the easiest thing to do with an approaching B747!!

I plan to do an LHR trip when the weather improves and see what results I can get down there by 27R or 27L, or Myrtle Av. Should be interesting.

Happy snapping yourself mate!!

Smile

LM

britman

Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:04 pm

Thanks Lekky-man.

once again thanks for the link,hope you are successful at Heathrow,let us know how you get on.

good luck

Big thumbs up

britman

Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:11 pm

Hi there again Lekky man

sorry to bother you but is there a chance i could look at some of your snaps you have put on the data base here on a.net, i would just like a look to see what quality i have to set my standards too..thanks.

Britman

Smile

mikec

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:03 pm

"this morning i went to test the camera out using the full 6m pixels"

Hi Britman - the S5000 isn't a 6MP camera. It's 3MP with the ability to interpolate to 6MP (this is what 707cmf meant about digital zoom because that is in effect what it's doing on the 6MP setting). That means that the camera effectively guesses what the image would look like if it had a 6MP sensor. Although Fuji super CCD does an admirable job of it, it won't be suitable for aviation photography.

Basically just forget about the 6MP setting for taking aircraft photos - it will introduce noise artifacts and grain beyond belief. Reading your comments about too much grain leads me to believe that this will be half of your problem.

In addition, what other settings does your camera have available? Before getting a DSLR I used to use a Fuji S602 (which by todays part numbering, would be roughly equivalent to a cross between an S5000 and S7000 I think). On the S602 I could manually set most things - aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, ISO, white balance etc etc. Do you have these options? The S602 sounds a similar sort of camera and produced excellent photos, so I'm sure yours can too.

On your dial on top of the camera there will be shooting modes with letters denoting each mode - what do you have and which one do you take photos in? Full Auto modes really are limited and if you have a shutter priority or aperture priority mode, you may be better off learning how to use them as you will have more control over the camera. Is there the ability to change ISO? If so that is important - what is it in now?

Michael.

britman

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:21 am

Hi Mikec

Thanks for your feedback, the camera has all the functions that you have mentioned and at the moment i,m trying nearly everything just to test it out, yes my quality is improving slightly.last time out the weather was overcast but i managed to get some decent shots, well decent by my standards anyway.i was using ISO 400,WB on auto, hardness on sharp. i have tried taking shots on auto but werent impressed so i took pics in the S mode,the A mode,as i said i,ve used all modes..the pics that i have taken without the zoom are excellent..its the close up shots i have probs with.
i,m still trying and i will get there.
i,m sometimes thinking back as to why i bought the camera,frustration is creeping in  Angry

thanks for your post Mikec

mikec

Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:36 am

I'd avoid using ISO 400 unless the light conditions really dictate it. Thinking back to my S602, it was unnecessarily grainy at ISO 400 and I avoided it at all costs. For daytime photos you really shouldn't need it. Try bringing it down to the lowest setting (on the old S602 that was ISO 160, but do ISO 100 if you have it) and see how you get on. If it's a particularly dull day with no sunlight around, or there is low light (heading towards sunset), then maybe try ISO 200.

Personally I wouldn't let the camera adjust the sharpness - Photoshop or other image editing tools can do a much better job of it with an unsharp mask. I'd leave the in-camera settings (sharpness, saturation etc) at neutral and control them yourself afterwards.

When in S or A mode, what shutter speed / aperture (respectively) are you setting, and for what type of shots?

Lekky-Man

Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:50 pm

Of course you can have a look at my pics.

Just do a search fro photographer 'Paul Turner', and all will be revealed!!

LM

britman

Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:26 am

Lekky-man

good pictures there my fellow friend, i particularly like this one, very sharp and crisp picture, how did you geit it that clear?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Turner

mikec.
on the S mode
when its been very bright, i use 250 f8
when it has been dark, i use 1000 f8 or there abouts

in the A mode, im not sure what im using as i havent really used it often.
sorry i,m not being to helpful with the settings info as i said i,m new to this.

a lot of my shots are of the aircraft on the runway either arriving or departing, therefore alot of sky is on the snaps more than the ground.
i also have many shots of the aircraft at the terminal..again, not very sharp, still grainy,unable to use the neatimage programme that lekky man linked to me...as you need a flat area to screen before deleting noise,with so much detail on pic, cant delete noise all to well.

bye the way my friends i,m sorry for mithering you all the time.

hapy snapping, thanks again.
Britman
 Big thumbs up

Lekky-Man

Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:36 am

Thanks for the compliment Britman.

My only answer to your question is 'purely luck'.

It was my first pic with the S7000, and it came out really well in the first place, but neat image has made it better, and cleaner.

Once again, thanks for the plug!!

Paul.