Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Why The Q Is That Long (Inside View Part II)

Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:19 pm

One of the reasons is that some people really dont understand how the site works or what standards are required.
Examples? 2 photographers one with 91 shots and the other one with 81 shots.
Rejection rate? Well exactly 100 %  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow! for both of them. And its NOT the first time for them to get this high score but they seem to learn nothing.
One of those two was the guy which made me post this thread
https://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/93086
back in June 2003.
If people would only be more careful with their uploads (can you spell "self screening"??? ) the Q might be a bit shorter. Note this is not targeted against people who upload big batches of really high quality shots, its for the Q blockers who keep on trying to get medicore (or worse) shots into the database by uploading big batches and hoping that one might slip through.
Peter

[Edited 2004-04-13 07:42:31]
-

rsmith6621a

RE: Why The Q Is That Long

Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:26 pm

I very much agree....

If you are not learning anything about your rejections here you should try posting over at the other neighborhood...........or just give up.

Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

[email protected]
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:30 pm

Or maybe accept a upload limit depending on the rejection rate ?????
Peter
-

JeffM

Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:42 pm

Peter,
Do either of those two post here in the forums? If not, then your preaching to the choir. I'm afraid what your saying is not reaching the intended audience....

sorry to hear.

Jeff

Granite

RE: Why The Q Is That Long (Inside View Part II)

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:15 pm

Hi all

Why is the queue so long?..........

1. I ain't been screening last week.
2. Crap shots abound
3. Reuploading of already rejected images with no work done.
4. More crap shots
5. 10 shots of one landing aircraft.
6. Even more crap shots

Self Screen is all we ask.

Cheers

Gary

diezel

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:24 pm

Peter,

I can imagine the frustration of you screeners, reading all the threads posted about the screening and rejection rate.

Don't understand me wrong, I love this site but I think the "problem" does not sit with the contributers but with the a.net crew. It seems that the site is slowly drowning in its own success.

Just my two cents:

It seems to me that there are two problems:

1) There are too many pictures uploaded
2) Quality is not high enough

Problem one can be solved by the obvious adding more screeners (duh...), by imposing a fee for uploading pictures or by setting an upload limit. Last two will encourage people to self-select the best pictures.

Problem two can be solved by educating the contributers. For example, make the list of rejected pictures (last 5000) public and add the reason of rejection so people (and maybe even screeners) can learn from it.

For new guys (like me) it is not always easy to understand why a certain picture is rejected. Specially the badmotiv ones and the badangle ones. For example: ramp shots are most of the time rejected when the plane is only partially in the frame but close-ups of rotating or landing planes are added by the tens.

Like I said, just my two cents  Big thumbs up

Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

IL76

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:36 pm

I don't think it's the crew causing the problem, Roel...
If a person gets his shots rejected, a bell should start ringing in this persons head with the message: "Hey... I'm doing something wrong here. I should try something else or ask for help".
If you try to squeeze a square block into a round hole, do you still keep pushing? No, of course not. Some people however, upload crap in bulk hoping something might slip through, and they just keep doing it. That bell did not start ringing. That's one of the main problems Peter is bringing up. Repetitive uploads of similar crap shots...

Eduard

Kereru

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:47 pm

I have reduced my screening over the last couple of weeks from 10 hours to 1 or 2 hours a day due mainly to other commitments. There are a number of ways that uploaders can help themselves and others by doing a bit of "self screening" and that includes new contributors too. In most cases when I can see that the person is new I include a personal message of how or where to find the info to improve. Please read all the help and faq threads before uploading if your new and maybe even if you have been here a while too to keep in touch with what is going on.
I will be on reduced hours for a while yet so please do a bit of self screening to reduce the number of substandard photos in the Q and help everybody out.

https://www.airliners.net/faq/

Colin
Good things take Time.

diezel

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:53 pm

Eduard, please don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the crew is causing the problem! I'm saying the crew is responsible for solving the problem. I just tried to help by giving some possible solutions.

(And really Eduard, some people keep on trying to squeeze square blocks through round holes, time after time  Wink/being sarcastic )

Roel.

Granite

Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:55 pm

Roel

The crew is not responsible for solving the problem............its the photographer that continually uploads crap stuff time and time again that is causing the problem.

Cheers

Gary Watt

timdegroot

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:01 pm

We try to solve the problem. I write a personal message to a photographer about something he's doing wrong and on future uploads I see him doing the same things wrong again. If people don't take our advice seriously they'll keep getting rejections and the queue will get longer.

The reason the queue is long now is also because of the holidays. Screeners have other stuff to do as well.

Tim
Alderman Exit

IL76

Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:06 pm

Ok, I see Roel... I 'worded' it wrongly...
I'm sure there are some discussions going on behind the scenes among the A.net crew about all this. But in the end it should be the photographers learning from their mistakes and becoming more critical about their work, which however doesn't always seem to be the case.

Dazed767

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:22 pm

Maybe the upload page rules and FAQ need to be re-written to stop this non-sense? Maybe with something along the lines of no bulk uploading.

mhodgson

Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:46 pm

I'm guilty of this to a large extent - when I started I had no concept of editing, cropping, and just uploaded 1024x768 images straight off my Olympus 300D- by no means a professional camera. I got straight rejections of up to 50 shots, and I am not pleased to admit it!!!

However now, I have a better camera, an editing program which works and I use, and I upload fewer. My upload rate has improved, though I still get about 50% rejected. Tim screened a few of mine, and commentted on how I could improve them - I reuploaded 3 he commented on. 2 have now passed the first screening, one was rejected - but the thing that annoys me slightly is it was rejected for a different reason. Tim commented on the badcolour rejection, and gave the comment 'green'. So I sorted this, and the picture is coloured well now. Except it was rejected for badsoft this time, which implies the screeners can have different perceptions:
https://airliners.net/procphotos/rejphoto.main?filename=HB-IZILHRMH.jpg

Still, I appreciate the ones that do get accepted, and thank the screeners for their work!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Skymonster

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:03 pm

We can discuss this until we're blue in the face, but as has already been said many contributors don't visit this forum (its amazing how many questions we screeners get asked by e-mail that could be answered by a quick visit here), nor do they read the FAQs or upload instructions, again as demonstrated by the questions we get asked which photographers could answer for themselves if they cared to actually read what's put in front of them. I believe we could put all the advise we liked, requesting restraint, on the upload pages and still many would just ignore it. The only way to really implement restraint is to apply a hard limit that is enforced by the system.

For what its worth, when I was last screening on Sunday there were less than 5000 pictures in the queue. Today, I see that there are well over 6000 which represents an increase of around 1500 pictures in the queue 36 hours - this is the sort of throughput we'll be up against regularly now that the northern summer is approaching. The arrival on the market of competitively priced DSLRs has in my opinion had a significant impact on our queues, and as more photographers make a leap into digital the number of submissions will continue to increase.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

f4wso

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:10 pm

Should there be two upload queues? One for new contributors and another for those that have reached a certain threshold. Perhaps the rejection percentage could be the deciding factor as to which queue a contributor gets to use.

If it were not for the high standards, I would have a lot of crappy pictures on my computer without realizing how much better they could be.
Thanks,
Gary
Cottage Grove, MN

What is the number of images where Anet will be full?

Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

timdegroot

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:12 pm

Martin, I'm pleased you reworked your shots with the advice I gave you, hope they will get in!

The shot that was rejected for a different reason: this tends to happen, because like you said all screeners have different perceptions. In 99% we all go the same way, but there are some shots that screeners react differently to.

Tim
Alderman Exit

mhodgson

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:36 pm

Tim - the BA 757 and BD A320 did get in - so thanks very much!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

vafi88

Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:27 pm

I think it's a combo of both, people upload 100 pictures in one day or over a period of 3 days, and screeners aren't always screening (understandable)WHY???

I say we curb it to 5 pics in the Q from one single photog, it will take less.

I have about 5 worthy pics, but I only uploaded 2 of them, WHY? Because I know there are photogs behind me too, and they don't want to have to wait.

Limit the # uploaded pics (NOT per day)
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

ExitRow

Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:49 am

This again.

Just suspend or ban the repeat offenders. Give them a warning and if they card-dump regardless suspend their upload priveleges. It's obvious that naming and shaming isn't working. People are obviously seeing these complaints from screeners as some sort of challenge.

Why is it so hard to suspend people that are ruining it for the rest of us by wasting space in the queue?

I self-edit like crazy now. There are times where I have shot tons of frames of a brand new reg at BFI but only upload one or two of them. It then goes in the queue behind 5000 other shots.

Put your foot down and reprimand these repeat offeneders. Jeez... the forum mods suspend and ban users for far, far less.

william

Bronko

Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:59 am

I agree with William.

Or, build some sort of algorithm based on the amount of photographs the photographer has accepted, rejected, etc, that will determine how many they can have in the queue.

Reward those who self screen and upload quality, punish those who abuse the privelege.
Jet City Aviation Photography

Lindy

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:34 am

We should have upload limit. 20 pictures per day is more than enough!

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Bruce

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:38 am

I agree with Andy on the fact that budget priced DSLR's have a huge impact on this database. Now, anybody can be a photographer. EOS300's are flying off the shelves into the hands of (mostly) amateurs and its click, click, click....people are going click-happy. Same for the 10D and now even the previous generation DSLR like D60/D30 are VERY affordable on the used market.

But they don't realize that as much if not more work has to go into the photo after its shot than before. Color, cropping, sharpening, leveling, sizing....not to mention just framing the shot up right when shooting!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:14 am

I think that regardless of how the images are rendered, be it low end digital, high end digital, or film, great images can be made, and should be considered regardless of whether it is someone's first image or two thousandth. But, it also seems reasonable that a daily, weekly, or monthly limit could be imposed to prevent such mass uploads from clogging up the queue.

But, none of us own this site, why should we try to run it?

ExitRow

Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:30 am

But, none of us own this site, why should we try to run it?

It's called "user feedback" Jeff.  Big grin

There's an obvious problem here. We are making suggestions. Sometimes user-suggestions are implemented quickly to the delight of everyone. The new cross-data search is a good example. For an example of a problem that endures despite a loud chorus of complaint and suggestion, see above.

I think A.net brass are partially responsible for this problem by rewarding people for mass uploading. (i.e.: Top Uploader rankings.) That is a step backwards IMHO.

I also think it's important to note that this issue is being raised multiple times by CREW, not users. I am giving screeners the benefit of the doubt in assuming that they raise these issues in the spirit of progress and not just to complain in public.

william

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:24 am

William,
Don't get me wrong, I am of the same opinion....something needs to be done. It is just that I have not seen many (read zero) requests from the "Boss" on ways to fix something that apparently isn't broke.

..my user feedback for the day...  Big grin

Jeff

ake0404ar

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:17 am

I have said it a million times and will do it again....

1.) We need an upload limit per photographer.
2.) We need an upload limit per photographer.
3.) We need an upload limit per photographer.

4.) Remember the good old travel list. No I am not going there, but one thing that could be implemented is the following:

Newbies can only upload xxxx amount of shots per day.......it is the percentage thing.

Once you have reached a 100% rejection rate over a given period of time, you can only upload 5 shots per batch. Once they were screened you can continue.....and so forth.

A long time contributor had a 20% rejection rate over xxxx amount of days, can upload 10 shots per batch....same scenario as above applies.

The max shots someone can upload regardless of their rejection record is let's say 15 shots.

Hope this makes sense to everyone, otherwise I am willing to explain further.

Vasco G.

MIA777

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:24 am

I like that idea Vasco. For some reason though, the administration seems to not want an upload limit. I say there is a vote by the photographers. If you have 50 (or however many shots) or more shots on the site, you will be invited to participate in an official vote. I think the number of shots per batch should be 10. This has come up several times in the last few months and I know others agree with the idea of an upload limit...now let's see some action!
MIA777

ebos

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:45 am

Vasco, i know you're solution seems evident and has been discussed in the past but it won't help i'm afraid.
Now there are 6152 pictures in the queue and 970 photographers waiting... so that means 6,3 pictures/photographer.

Sven
An-225 stalker: 1 x LUX, 1 x EIN, 1 x DXB, 2 x SHJ, 3 x CGN

ExitRow

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:59 am

so that means 6,3 pictures/photographer.

Really? Since Johan loves statistics, I'd love to see the actual numbers of the queue, masking the uploaders names.

Judging from the complaining by CREW above about mass-uploaders, there's got to be culprits uploading more than 6.3 images in a batch... and THEY are what this discussion is about.

So... let's just be frank about it. Let's see the true numbers.

How many people are card-dumping?

william

ake0404ar

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:00 am

Sven,

I know I did the math, but it seems evident that the offenders are the same day in, day out.
Everyday life....you get stopped by the police for not yielding to pedestrians at a crosswalk, you do that 4 times in a row and get caught.....I am sure the judge will have some appropriate words for you. Now we have to convert this into a-net terminology......
Final step would be......ban them for a while from uploading.......If they don't get the message.

Vasco

futterman

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:09 am

Sven: Yeah, 6.3/6 photos per photographer in the current queue is within the suggested 10 photo upload limit. However, it's not evenly divided, and with the limit, photographers that have uploaded in excess of 20 photos will be forced to self screen and submit the best of their best.

This may be a little 'ignorant' of me to say, but photographers with more than 50 or 100 photos on this site obviously have more...stamina, if you will...or are able to come to terms with their rejections and will not go to seek revenge on the screeners by means of uploading $hit shots as a 'newbie' might. Then again, some people might be genuinely trying to fix and reupload their photos.

An uploading limit is definately one of the only plausable options, but the benefits of devising a system to 'calculate' each photographer's allowances probably will not make such limits practical. Then again, I don't know what the crew is capable of concocting.

If a set limit, applacable for all photographers (horse-$hit and honored alike), is established--for instance, 10 photos--, it would be unfair and unreasonable to the talented and professional among us. The queue would be shorter, yes, but still. Even then, the queue could still be bombarded with 10 photos from 10 sarcastic uploaders each, adding 100 pieces of crap to the queue, slowing it down. Regardless of the limit. And, as a result, those with photos actually worthy of being looked at in the first place still suffer.

Simple solution, to try first and foremost, is just to reiterate the policy in so many words. Maybe as such:
-First page, with 'uploading rules', statistics, and the final link at the bottom, to upload photos.
-Second page, new page, where in a bold, size 20 font it says something to the effect of, "A PROCESS OF SELF-SCREENING IS HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. UPLOADING TASTELESS PHOTOS, NON REVELANT PHOTOS, OR PHOTOS WHICH ARE CLEARLY IN CONFLICT WITH THE ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA WILL RESULT IN (insert some witty comment/punishment here)"
...and that's just being nice. Maybe even put one of those check boxes at the bottom, saying that you agree to it.
-Third page, the form to upload a photo.

As far as people just checking the box to proceed and upload without reading the warning, I remember I installed a program where if you did not scroll to the bottom of the agreement thing...actually scroll to the bottom, and you checked the box to continue, you would get a popup saying, "You did not read the agreement. Please go back and make sure you thoroughly understand it, then continue".

Oh, and as far as Johan or the crew being hesitant to an uploading limit. How far off is it, if there's already a two-photo limit to the appeal queue? If anything, Johan's reputation for rejecting appealed shots is well established, and something of that nature is better used for the screeners.

[Edited 2004-04-13 22:12:44]
What the FUTT?

diezel

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:23 am

Why not just add more screeners?

If I am in line in a supermarket and there is only one checkout open, opening a second one will split the queue in two. Which has two effects. I can leave the supermarket in half the time and it will give the cashiers a break.

Roel.

futterman

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:27 am

Diezel: I'm theorizing here, but people tend to think like the following:
"Ooh, there's more people doing work, so now I should be able to give them more work to do!"

If another counter at the grocery store opens up, more people would probably end up on both lines. Same here...when people find out there are more screeners, they/we (admit it--you do it too) assume they should be able to handle more photos.

Might this be what happened after the addition of a few screeners? Initially the queue was down to two or three hundred, and results were sent within minutes or hours. Now it's over five or six thousand, and results take days to weeks.

[Edited 2004-04-13 22:27:57]
What the FUTT?

ebos

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:35 am

Sorry but still not convinced with the upload limit and i remember this has been discussed before.
Let's say upload limit of 10 pictures > means quick processing > processing in 1 day > everybody can upload 70 pictures/week.

I'm afraid there are no simple solutions (at least that's what i learned at work). Personally i don't have a problem with waiting, but that's just a personal opinion. I've about 400 pictures ready for uploading and i don't care if they are online tomorrow or within some months, but again that's just my humble opinion.

Sven

timdegroot

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:44 am

The current screeners can cope. I remember not so long ago the queue was over 7000 and we had the same discussion. A few days later and it was gone, people were getting shots accepted in minutes.

Now is crazy time with a lot of people shooting during the weekend and screeners also doing other things.

Tim
Alderman Exit

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:46 am

Those that upload less then that now, will probably continue in the manner they have. It will prevent the large uploaders from dumping all at once.

Seems simple.

ExitRow

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:51 am

Question of the Century:

What harm would an upload limit have?

It's an issue of patience any way you look at it. Either be patient when your shots are behind 6000 other images. Or be patient when you are only allowed to upload x amount of images per day/week.

One of those options teaches uploaders something (the value of self-editing) the other simply compunds the problem.

Seems simple to me.

william

ebos

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:57 am

What harm would an upload limit have?

970 photographers * 10 pictures = 9.700 pictures to screen.

Plain simple.

Sven (will screen some more, looks more interesting than replying to this thread Big grin )

ExitRow

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:01 am

Sven -
What? I am talking about an upload LIMIT. Not a requirement.

(will screen some more, looks more interesting than replying to this thread )

I beg your pardon?

william

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:05 am

It appears that he does not understand the concept William...

reminds me of a certain Jethro Tull song...

[Edited 2004-04-13 23:08:29]

Skymonster

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:08 am

Brian is right to an extent. A large queue is to some degree self regulating in that it seems that some photographers are put off by it and wait before uploading more - a number of samey photographs from the same person will generate far less attention in one large batch than they would in several small batches uploaded over a period of time, and the hit-seekers know this.

Adding additional screeners brings its own problems and there are a number of good reasons why the screening crew should be kept at the minimum needed to provide a reasonable service. And in any case airliners.net has only just finished indoctrinating the last group - all of whom have been very effective, by the way, which proves amongst other things that the selection process was in itself quite effective! We do, however, monitor the queue state and if a short term problem looks like its becoming a long term trend, we will act again as we did in the fairly recent past.

I have 13 pictures in the queue right now. If a hard limit was placed on how many pictures I could have in the queue was invoked, I would be miffed about that as I've uploaded those photographs over several days. On the other hand, if a daily limit was applied I don't think it would solve the problem given the dwell time we're currently experiencing, because by the time a photographer reached the front of the queue they could have quite a significant number of pictures in the queue.

I would dearly like to apply the baddouble/badcommon rejection reasons far more agressively than we are able to do right now, as in my humble opinion most of what clogs up the queue is repetitive same-old same-old stuff that is equivalent to what we already have on the database. This would leave room for the creative and new stuff, but would kick out a lot of what in my opinion just doesn't add value. If we could dump a lot of that repetitive stuff at first screening, (a) sooner or later serial uploaders would get the message and (b) we would reject a lot of the queue at first screening rather than have to process it through three screenings to an eventual and in my view reluctant acceptance.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

ebos

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:29 am

I do understand the concept, just convinced that it won't work...

Even with an upload limit, the amount of uploaders (1.000) is still able to flood the queue in one day when pictures are getting processed slowly (like now). The only thing i wanted to point out is that with an upload limit of 10 pictures, the "possible queue lenght" is about 10.000 (not a requirement). And when there's "fast screening" (like some weeks ago), you don't need an upload limit...

So the main factor is the time screeners can invest in processing the queue. That's variable... we have to live with that. Pretty sure even Jeff and William will understand this Big grin

Sven

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:35 am

Gee Sven, thanks.

Why the reluctance to try it?

ebos

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:40 am

Don't have a problem to try it out. Just convinced it won't work. Explained why...

Sven

EGGD

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:50 am

A good idea would be someone getting the statistics for the queue size/no. of uploads etc for a year or so, so we can see when the queue is the largest and when the most photos are uploaded, and at what time, and also when the screeners are working the most.

Then we could maybe put limits on peak times, or requesting people holding their none-important uploads until a time where there are few photos in the queue.

futterman

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:52 am

Brian is right to an extent.
Finally! Someone agrees with me...even if it is 'to an extent.'  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'll join the club and say it again...the limit is NOT a requirement. So sure, with 1,000 uploaders, the queue could easily jump to a hefty 10,000 photos. However, that's very unlikely. When a limit is imposed on you, or on the uploaders in this case, it should (or would) automatically register that the screeners do not have the time nor the patience to screen through photographs that any self-respecting A.net visitor would be able to dismiss as a 'BadMotiv' in a hearbeat. I don't think that anyone would willingly come close to the quota, unless they really thought they had 10 outstanding shots that deserved to be looked at.

I was just reviewing some photos a friend of mine took during a recent trip to St. Maarten, and he has uploaded around 25 shots already. From what he sent me, though, I would try to screen as an A.net screener, and give him ways to improve the shots...hence making the screening process run that much smoother.

But, I stand by what I said. By establishing a limit, it could, in a sense, discourage the head-honchos here (photographer wise).

There are too many tradeoffs, and much still up in the air in regards to whether or not the benefits outweigh the 'risks.' An upload limitation is a great idea, but I think other methods should be tried first (refer back to my first post)...setting up a quota being a last resort.
What the FUTT?

Skymonster

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:55 am

EGGD said: A good idea would be someone getting the statistics for the queue size/no. of uploads etc for a year or so, so we can see when the queue is the largest and when the most photos are uploaded, and at what time, and also when the screeners are working the most

Hey, great idea! Lets all sit back for a year and collect statistics, then when the queue is approaching 100,000 at least we'll be sure how best to act!  Nuts

Only joking Dan! Big grin

Andy

EGGD

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:58 am

Thanks Andy, I thought I was on for a winner there!

Big grin

JeffM

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:06 am

People have tried the same tactic when trying to predict Lotto numbers...
 Big grin