Bruce
Topic Author

Photo Printing Problem

Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:50 am

I recently sold a copy of this photo of mine to the plane's pilot

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz

and the guy wanted it HUGE.....33x22 inches..... so i prepared it and set the color to "adobe" not "Srgb" because "adobe" is supposed to be better color management for printing. Then i saved it as a tif onto a CD. I brought it into the local Kinko's and they printed it, but now the fuselage has a greenish cast to it in the dark areas. they said i should have set it to Cmyk (?) color.

He brought the pic up on his computer and of course his monitor is calibrated different (if at all - mine is not) and on his monitor, the photo looks a little washed out (lighter) than on my monitor BUT the color tone is exactly the same as on MY monitor - no green in the fuselage. I don't think there is a green cast on the airliners.net database version above or else it surely would have been rejected as badcolor last year! He said that there is no way possible to print exactly what you see on a monitor!!!! Is that true???? How am I ever going to get it good enough to sell?????

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

2912n

RE: Photo Printing Problem

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:02 pm

Have you taken it to a real photo lab? Kinkos does copies very well. My experience is they know squat about printing photos.

ExitRow

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:31 pm

Note to the wise.

Do a test print first. A small, inexpensive test color proof to verify color.

Once you are happy with the color, print BIG.

william

Bruce
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:38 pm

that is some good advice..... I thought of having them do it because it's cheaper and i didn't want this print to become so expensive that he wouldn't buy it.

i never thought of printing it small......

bruce

2912n

Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:50 pm

12x18 is usually the largest you will get in digital prints without paying big bucks. Costco locally does a very nice print for about 5 bucks.

DB777

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Out of curiousity, what was the DPI of the image after you upsized it to 33 x 22 inches? Did you resample it to get it up to that size at 300dpi or 200dpi or what?

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

JeffM

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:39 pm

Don,
You can set the DPI before resampling an image. All the work is done by the software.

Bruce
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:32 pm

Yes, 300 dpi. I asked Kinko's what dpi they wanted for their print system and they said 300 dpi was good. So when i was processing the photo I set it in "image size" to 300 dpi after resizing.

The picture did look a little pixelated up close but when you stand back a couple feet its not too bad.

bruce

DB777

Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:04 pm

I was just curious because upsizing usually degrades an image so I haven't done it much. You only have so many pixels to work with and having Photoshop, Genuine Fractals, whatever, artificially create pixels through resampling is questionable to say the least. It may be okay for a pilot or someone else wanting a print for personal use but for commercial printing it's usually a no-no.

Don
Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

ckw

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:23 pm

AdobeRGB is often used for commercial work because it has a wider gamut (range of colours) than sRGB. But because output devices generally use the sRGB or CMYK colour space, you should never use AdobeRGB unless you are certain the person outputting the file has a properly colour managed system set up to use sRGB.

In this situation, a CMYK printer was being used - the system will be set up to handle sRGB-CMYK translation, but unlikely to be set up to handle Adobe, hence results will be unpredictable. Nor would I translate the file to CMYK yourself unless you have a properly colour managed system - note that there are different CMYK profiles, and unless you're into pain and frustration, this is an area for the experts. Most commercial labs will handle sRGB just fine - after all this is the default (and often only) output from digicams - if they can't get it right, they'll soon be out of business!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Lindy

Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:25 pm

Having a friend who is long time graphic designer for one of the local companies I asked him what is the case. He said that all printing work should be done in CMYK.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

ExitRow

Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:59 am

FYI: CMYK means Cyan Magenta Yellow and Black (K instead of B to avoid confusion with Blue). It's the basis for what's called "Four Color Process." Almost every full color printed magazine is four color process.

It is a system derived around large commercial printing presses. Though most color output facilities (color labs) don't do "commercial printing," the CMYK model brings about the best results.

The important thing to remember with outsourced printing is to print up a color proof to show them when you deliver the file. If you have an inkjet at home, adjust and fine-tune so you get a print that is EXACTLY how you like it. Then, when you deliver the file to the service bureau, take your proof print and just say "match color to proof." They will then use your home-made inkjet proof as a guide as to how you want it. It's the simplest, most consistent (and no-brainer IMHO) way to get results you are happy with. And like I said before, if you are printing BIG, proof small first.

Just some advice from a former designer who made many, many expensive mistakes in his career...  Big grin

william

Bruce
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:25 pm

Well I went to pick it up (again) and the color was STILL not right. Too much greenish tint. So I told them i didn't want it.

I am going to try printing a smaller one on my inkjet and taking that into a photo lab this time.......

bruce

JeffM

Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:45 pm

Bruce,
Take the file to Wal-mart and have them print it on their Fuji Frontier machine. 8X10's are like $2.86 and 4"x6" are .24 cents. That should give you a good look at what the image as you corrected will look like.

Jeff

Bruce
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:19 pm

Well how will that look different than an inkjet print? and if it looks good on a fuji printer will it also look good on a large format printer?

JeffM

Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:55 pm

Bruce,
The Fuji print will show you the actual colors. Those machines are awesome. What it will give you is a very good print to take to your large format printing service to use as a color match.