Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jakbar
Topic Author

PHX Get-together This Weekend?

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:08 pm

I'll be in Phoenix for the holiday weekend and I plan to spend some time at the airport on Saturday and Sunday. I have never really met any of the locals even though I am in Phoenix quite a bit and know that airport like the back of my hand. If anybody wants to get together on either day, post a reply here and we can coordinate the details.

Josh

scottysair

RE: PHX Get-together This Weekend?

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:58 pm

Sorry, I am going away to ATL this weekend and I can't join with you this weekend for spotting in PHX. I will be back for on next Tuesday July 6.

scottysair

Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:00 pm

Forgot to tell you something about me and I met with Ben Wang was there of last week of Friday afternoon in PHX and he was there over of the weekend.

kc7mmi

Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:21 pm

When and where?...I might have a few minutes to meet with a fellow a.net photog/spotter/whatever on Saturday.

Benjamin Russell
FFZ-IWA-CHD-PHX

Marco_Polo

Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:35 pm

I will probably stop by for a few hours from 4pm till sunset to spot on the south side of Terminal 4. You will mostly find me on level 8 or 7. Hopefully I run into you.

Cheers - Jay

scottysair

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:06 am

No, it is level 9 for the good spot into the terminal 4.

benyhone

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:41 am

It's going to be bloody hot for standing out there shooting - but if you're around the terminals late in the afternoon, I might stop by and say hi and shoot with ya for a bit.

You might want to try Terminal 3 looking east at the crossover taxiway starting before 3:30pm. Frontier's A318 leaves at 3:30pm and it usually crosses over for a south runway departure.

Terry/PHX
Cactus Wings Photography, Phoenix

jakbar
Topic Author

Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:22 am

Yeah...it's gonna be hot, but I'll take what I can get. Big grin I haven't spotted at PHX in the summertime for a while, so can anyone give me a rough idea of where the sun is going to be at the various points throughout the day. What spots work in the morning/afternoon? I'm even willing to get there early in the morning if the sun is good.

I'd love to catch the Frontier A318 at 3:30pm. I have always liked that crossover taxiway between T3 and T4 because you can see the road underneath...definitely not something I can see here in NYC.

BTW, I had heard that BA switched back to a 744 a while ago. Is that correct? That'd be terrific!

Depending on the sun, I may go back and forth between T3 and T4 to catch various movements. If anybody wants to exchange cell phone numbers to make it easier to find each other this weekend, e-mail me: [email protected]

Josh

tpk

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:56 am

The sun basically follows the path of the runways, maybe a little to the north since we're still right around the first day of summer. In the early morning, it will be from the ENE, mid-day it will be directly overhead and in the evening it will be from the WNW. I'm not aware of any good morning spots for this time of year that you won't get chased away from - maybe Terry might have some less-known ones to recommend.

Because the sun is overhead, the middle of the day is bad. In the evening, the spots the guys above described are the best:

-T3 bridge shots (it might be good to get these now since I'm not sure to what degree the new tower will prevent these when it's built. There's already a crane in the way).
- T3 and T4 garages facing south are also decent, depending on how picky you are. The sun isn't really far enough to the north for good side lighting, but late in the day it's ok. I think the only reason Jay recommended 8th instead ot 9th floor in T4 is to avoid getting too hot/burnt from the sun.

BA switched to a 744 back at the end of March. It most often uses Rwy 26 for arrival.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me if you have any more questions.

Tim

scottysair

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:33 pm

That's right and this exactly BA was already bring back with B747-400 into PHX again and will able do well for them.

jakbar
Topic Author

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:37 am

Hi guys...I'm now in PHX. AA flight 271 nonstop from JFK was terrific, as usual. I got some good window shots as we arrived...once I get back to New York I'll try uploading one or two.

I'll be out there at PHX tomorrow and Sunday, although I'm not sure on the exact times that I'll be getting there or where I'll be. I will definitely be at T3/T4 for late afternoon ops, though. I've gotten an e-mail from at least one of you guys with a cell phone number included, so hopefully I'll see some a.netters out there.

I hope to see some of you guys out there. Look for my purple Arizona Diamondbacks hat. Big grin

Josh

jakbar
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:45 am

I was out at PHX on Saturday...I got some nice pics from T4 (level 8) of the BA 744 arriving on 26, and then I moved over to 40th Street to get the FedEx MD-11 that arrived around 5pm. Great weather and lighting!

I'll probably be back out there tomorrow around the same time.

cancidas

Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:11 pm

now i know why you're not answering your phone...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

jakbar
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:23 am

Just got back from another day of PHX spotting...this time I met up with fellow a.netters Jay Piboontum and Kevin Trinkle. Jay actually had to leave shortly after I arrived, but Kevin and I enjoyed a couple of hours on Level 8 of the T4 parking garage. We started on the north side to catch the BA 744 arrive at 4:15 and eventually made our way over to the south side of the garage around 5:00 to take advantage of some really good lighting. I look forward to coming back to PHX in December and meeting up with Kevin, Jay and others.

Josh

Marco_Polo

Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:38 am

Josh:

Great meeting you. Hope you had a lot of wonderful shot from PHX. Hope Kevin has been a good company... LOL... Note: Just kidding Kev!!! Looking foward to seeing your photos from here. I heard you totally enjoy the late eveing shots. Wait till winter and we'll show you the great photography here. Keep in touch and let me know when you are in town this coming winter.

Cheers,

Jay

jakbar
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:40 am

Thanks, Jay. Yeah, I loved the late evening shots that Kevin and I were able to get on Sunday...the sunlight was amazing around 6:00 for shots of planes taxiing onto 25R for departure. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you and others in December for some more good times.

I'm going to work on my pictures this weekend when I get back to NY, and hopefully I'll have some on a.net soon.

Josh