United4everDEN
Topic Author

The Long Queue - The Facts

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:34 am

Hey everyone,

Just out of curiousity, I did some figuring and came out with this:

22 screeners
1600 approx photos added in the last 48 hours
1 of 4 photos is accepted according to upload page (I know this figure is way off, so I will tone it down to 1 in 2, figured by the rate the queue is being screened compared to accepted photos in 48 hours)
That is 3200 in 48 hours that are screened!
Now we must figure in the '3 screener' rule, and I noticed about 1/3 of the photos in the queue get this. This means about 1100 photos are screened again. Lets assume a third of that gets through the second and another third of that get added. That would be an additional 400 approx.
So now, we have 4700 photos that get screened in a 48 hour period.
Divide by number of screeners, 22, and we get about 213 photos a screener.
Now we can break that down to 24 hours by dividing by 2, that is about 106 photos a screener per day. I know for a fact, that an image can take upto a miunte to screen. That is an amazing 1.5 hours a day each screener puts their time into screening.

So, stop complaining. I'd like to see you complainers put an hour and a half into volunteer work each and every day.

Way to go screeners! Keep it up! Big thumbs up

kc7mmi

RE: The Long Queue - The Facts

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:00 am

I don't think we're complaining about the screeners. It's just the fact that some people upload every photo they take, whether or not they're up to par. As for me, in the past couple weeks I uploaded 7 photos, 6 were accepted, one hasn't been screened yet...this is due to the self-screening process. New (and some seasoned) photographers need to do this. One other problem that I think could relieve the large queue is the fact that a lot of photos are for myaviation .net. If it had its own, independent queue, I think the a.net queue would be a lot smaller and screening would go by much faster. All they would need to do is hit up the myaviation.net visitors for volunteers, I'm sure they would find some.

United4everDEN
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:07 pm

I knew no one would reply. The other 'the queue is crashing' thread is just as active as ever. It would be awful for someone to reply to something positive once in a while, with a positive response.

eksath
Crew

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:12 pm

No complaints here. The screeners deserve a hand for keeping the system going....TWO THUMBS UP!

Wink/being sarcastic

World Wide Aerospace Photography

JeffM

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:16 pm

Ryan,
It is a stupid freakin' post... O.K.?

Many of us don't really care how big the queue is, and nothing said in any of these silly threads is going to change the size of it. These are getting just a bit rediculous to say the least.

Want to help shorten the queue? Quit uploading.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:17 pm

I for one really don't care how long the queueueue is. I submitted a few pics and about a week later they are in.... Not bad at all. Are you all really that concerned with how fast your pictures are uploaded to a website?

Kereru

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:26 pm

Thanks for the positive responses in this thread. With some of us taking holidays and others having work commitments the queue has grown.

I received my new Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF lens and SB800 flash from Hong Kong last Saturday so as you will all understand I have been keen to try it out. Very pleased with the results and have a couple of samples in the queue and yes I too have to wait before they will be screened.

Like my signature says "Good things take time".

Thanks for your patience.

Colin
Good things take Time.

bigphilnyc

Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:38 pm

The queue is massive and it's not the screeners fault. I see it as Anet jsut becoming so popular.

When people don't get their way right away, they feel the need to point the blame at someone, anyone, but themselves. They choose the screeners, which are the wrong people to point at.

The screeners do a great job and it's nice to see a more positive thread.

Good job, guys!

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

United4everDEN
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:18 pm

Ryan,
It is a stupid freakin' post... O.K.?

Many of us don't really care how big the queue is, and nothing said in any of these silly threads is going to change the size of it. These are getting just a bit rediculous to say the least.

Want to help shorten the queue? Quit uploading.

Woah, Jeff, did you read? (also directed to armitage) I said nothing about shortening the queue. I made a post that was quite positive, and it is quite obvious you assumed what this thread was about, and jumped on me for it. I am trying to make a positive statement about the screeners to help them feel better with all the negativity going around. Please read before jumping on me like that again. I'd like to thank Phil, who seems to be one of the few who actually read.

[Edited 2004-08-16 06:19:45]

JeffM

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:37 pm

Yes, I read it, and understood it. I assumed nothing, so don't put words in my mouth. It is redundant, and rediculous in my opinion. How many of these queue posts do we need? Why not just email them and thank them?

And just so there is no misunderstanding, you will know without a doubt when I decide to jump.  Smile

United4everDEN
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:49 pm

Alright, I got a solution for everyone.

I will continue with this thread to make aware of the screeners great work, and Jeff, can deal with all the queue posts by not opening a thread with the title containing the words/phrases; How long?, queue, long, screen, screening, screeners, 15000 photos and growing, and anything else to that effect.  Wink/being sarcastic

tsentsan

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:11 pm

I think we should all cut the screeners some slack. Screening is not an easy task. I had a look at the queue on the site with lots of photos of jets, and I suppose a.net's queue is similar (or even worse), its quite a wonder why sometimes screeners even bother to put effort into it.

Lots of photographers upload really crap pictures, so bad even my T630 camera phone can take better pictures. Imagine if you have to even spend 30 mins to look at 30 crap pictures, I'd figure you'd give up in a matter of days.

I just hope everybody spares a thought for those who are seldom recognised. Screeners are doing volunteer work, they're not paid, the few privileges they get are scrutinised with a magnifying glass.

NO URLS in signature

INNflight

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:08 pm

Hey? Why do you all want to get in your images as soon as possible? Be patient, high quality pics will be high quality after 1 week in the Q too!  Insane

Florian
Jet Visuals

OD720

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:17 pm

Lots of photographers upload really crap pictures, so bad even my T630 camera phone can take better pictures.

Actually pictures of the above described quality don't take the screener's time, they are easily rejected in 2 seconds by a simple click. The good quality shots are the one's which actually can be time consuming and require a lot of attention.

Still, people shouldn't be worried about the long Q, even if it got longer, no big deal. I believe that the screeners are indeed doing a great job.

Regards.

707CMF

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 pm

Hey? Why do you all want to get in your images as soon as possible? Be patient, high quality pics will be high quality after 1 week in the Q too!

Actually, it is more like ten days.
But who counts ?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers,

707, who anyways has better things to do.