Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Andrei
Topic Author

Tell Please, What Not So In My Photos?

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:36 pm

Tell please, what not so in my photos? All these 148! Photos have been rejected by administration of site Airliners. net.
http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=5357
I cannot believe, that all of them of bad quality. It seems to me, that many from rejected my photos have normal quality. The administration of a site can has taken offence at me for something? All photos at the Berlin airports have been made by camera FUJI S5000. So, it I such bad photographer or this camera cannot make pictures of worthy quality? Why ALL! photos have been rejected? Really among these photos there is no qualitative and interesting? Help me please with my problem.
Good luck!

paulinbna

RE: Tell Please, What Not So In My Photos?

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:38 pm

Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

draigonair

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:55 pm

hey,

there are some nice photos in there but the main problem is most of these photos look very 'soft' and needs to be sharpend...but what happens when you do this 'jaggies' can appear.. Also some of the photos the plane it too far, hence bad distance.... And some photos are not in the center, bad camera angel...

Try next time to edit them in Adobe so that they are nice and sharp, in the center and the distance is not to great...

cheers

Nick
cheers

aviopic

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:20 pm

Don't know your camera Andrei but i am afraid it does not produce the quality needed, it is very noisy and when your images are viewed large they don't seem to be sharp.
By putting some effort in editing some of them might make the cut though.
before:

after:

Still this one would not have made it i think as it is bad .....something  Big grin
Try to make a good crop, personaly i don't like the half vertical stabilizer and half the prop, get it on completly or get rid of it.
Cropping in 1024 might help too.

Hope this will help a bit.

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

fl350

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Try to scan a few good pictures from the DB, and make yours look like them.

I think it's better to try easy side on angles pics with no fence and aircraft perfectly centered at first. Take a lot of pics, and then choose the very best you have (not blurry, not too far, centered, good exposure,...) and bring it too Adobe PS. Make slight corrections to it till it looks good (level, resisze, sharpen,...), only upload your best shots be very selective with your work.

I don't think a.net has something against you, but this site is the best of the best and picture acceptance level is very high.

Fabrice
Fabrice Sanchez - Brussels Aviation Photography

apuneger

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:33 pm

Hello Andrei,

I'm no screener whatsoever, but frankly, my comments:

* The photos lack quality, obviously. There's quite a bit of compression and grain. They're not as sharp as should be.

* Many photos are a bit too dark.

* Only a couple of photos show an entire aircraft well-balanced within the frame, if you know what I mean. Many of your photos show an aircraft that only takes 1/3rd of the frame. A tighter crop might help, but will reduce the overall quality of the result.

If you could improve the quality, maybe some photos could be added, e.g. http://myaviation.net/?pid=00198110

So, basically, improve the quality of these shots and you might get 10 or so added. Maybe you used the wrong setting on the camera, e.g. high ISO?

This site demands high standards. Only the best shots will be added to the database. Keep up the good work and I'm sure we'll see some (more?) of your pics on this site.

Hope this helps

Ivan

Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Andrei
Topic Author

Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:25 pm

Thanks all for the help! I am glad, that you have found time to look my photos and to tell to me that in them not so. Willem to you special thanks for correction of my photo, I could believe, that it is my photo! She perfectly looks!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy But it concerns brightness and how to be with noise? How it is possible to struggle with noise how them to clean?
Now at me camera Olympus C-760.
By the way, some photos have rejected that the photo does not represent anything interesting. Here this, for example:
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00192947
And it seemed to me, that here a unusual foreshortening, the long wing is disproportionate.
And this that the plane very far. If I have photographed this plane too largly it would not be visible to highway, above which taxi this plane Namely in it this photo, in my opinion, is interesting or I am not right? :
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00193443
Good luck!

aviopic

Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:50 pm

I like these two Andrei but again they do need some editing.
The noise(grain if it was a analog camera) is still there and the B73 on the bridge does not seem to be level.
It is not all about brightness but more about levels, contrast and saturation.
The noise does not mean your lens is dirty, it is produced by the image sensor of your camera(any digital camera) as any analog film will produce grain.
There are tools to get rid of it, Fred Miranda, noise Ninja or NeatImage to name a few also it can be done manually.
But prepare your self because it will take some time and effort to get the hang of it.

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

mygind66

Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:53 pm

Andrei..

I had a look to some of your photos..I recommend you to surf a bit through this forum and learn what is Badcenter, Badlevel, Baddouble, Badexposure, Badsize..etc. Then you will realize that your pics have something bad..

Good luck

Enrique

spacecadet

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:04 pm

Andrei, I just have a couple pieces of advice, which apply to any sort of photography.

First, I think it's not the best idea to just indiscriminately upload everything you have. Pick out your best shots and submit those. A lot of amateur or beginner photographers sort of have a thing where they fall in love with all of their photographs, but really maybe only 10% at most are even worth considering. This is true of all photographers - I know a lot of pros who say when shooting film they're lucky to get one good shot per roll of film. Now, the other 35 or however many shots on that roll may be a lot better than pictures almost anybody else would take, but they have set a standard for themselves and to them, those shots aren't good enough. I think this is the point of it; if you consciously pick out your best pictures, you will continuously raise your own personal bar higher and higher and you will both become a better photographer and also become a more efficient photographer, since you will waste less time on subjects that are not even worth shooting to begin with. Think about taking good photos, not just taking a lot of photos and hoping a few of them make it into the database through sheer numbers.

Second, pay attention to your technical issues, especially in post-processing. Many times you will have a good shot set up and events will just conspire against you; the light goes bad, you've messed up a setting on your camera, or whatever. Some of these things you can't control, and you will have to deal with it in post-processing. Some of these things you can control, though; especially your camera settings. Make sure you're using good ISO ratings for the types of shots you need, the least amount of compression possible, as well as good aperture and shutter settings (if your camera lets you set these). Try using a tripod if you don't already. If you do mess any of these things up, you can try fixing things later, but understand you may not always be able to and you may have to just abandon a shot you really wanted. It happens.

After you've taken your pictures, look at them in an image editor, pick out the best ones and then see if they need any improvement. Some may not, but most will need at least something, whether it's a little bit of unsharp mask, some level adjustment, saturation adjustment, color balancing or whatever. Make sure your photos look the best that they can on a technical level before uploading. Even after you get good at it, you may still find yourself spending 15 minutes or so on each photo. There's no point in rushing it; these are your photos, and you want them to look the best they can.

You say you used a Fuji S5000 camera. I just checked out Steve's Digicams' review of this camera and found this at the end:

"Other cameras give you a choice of both the image size and quality, the S5000 offers only a resolution setting, I prefer being in control of both of these parameters. You can see some compression artifacts in blue-sky areas that could be eliminated with a finer JPEG compression setting."

So there's nothing you can do about this particular issue (which is an issue on many of your photos) on that camera. You may want to upgrade your camera to a newer model that allows you to shoot RAW mode, or at least set your own jpg compression level. In the meantime, though, you can use an application like NeatImage to try to cut down the jpg compression artifacts - NeatImage can be a big help in a case like this.

I do think there are some shots here - especially some of the full-body side shots of aircraft without any obstructions - that might get through if you cleaned up the photos a bit (color balance, compression artifacts, levels, etc.) and then resubmitted. Try it and see what happens. But pick and choose which photos you resubmit, making sure you only select photos similar to others you see on this site (at least until you've got a better idea what the screeners want), and make sure you fix them up so they look the best that they can.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

CanadianNorth

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:52 pm

It's taken me 2 years of trying numerous times to upload pictures to a.net, and they took one of mine not long ago. It was only one, but damn did it put a smile on my face.

Some of yer photos are pretty good, so keep trying eh! I say what needs to be done is a) even if it means standing in a dumpster; never be afraid to do whatever it takes to get the perfect angle. b) take yer pics and use one of them programs to resize, sharpen etc. c) when yer done taking pictures take a good look at what you have and only bother with the best of the best.

Good luck in future!
CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

SnowJ

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:38 am

Spacecadet is right...I too had to learn how to restrain myself and give a good look at my photos, to choose the best and upload those. As for 10%, that number varies with the photographer, I should know.  Wink/being sarcastic But definitely keep up the effort, because you will eventually get the hang of it and then you will know what the screeners are looking for...even if they are a bit anal at times!  Wink/being sarcastic

Jaysen F. Snow, SSgt, USAF
Jaysen F. Snow - Midwest Tail Chasers

Andrei
Topic Author

Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:07 am

Thanks all!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Camera Fuji S5000 in JPG does a photo a maximum 850-880kb. I cannot change anything here. Then I process this photo in Photoshop and I keep as for WEBsite with the maximal size. But all the same the photo turns out not qualitative enough. Now at me camera Olympus C-760. There there are more than adjustments and, probably, with the help of this camera I can make better photos.
Good luck!