Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ikarus
Topic Author

Mark Garfinkel's 2005 Aviation Calendar

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:30 pm

Hello,

you might have noticed adverts on airliners.net lately advertising Mark Garfinkel's aviation calendar. I've just received my copy, so I thought I might be audacious enough to review it...

Well, first of all, the ordering was fairly simple. Payment via Paypal, no problem, but also no direct confirmation e-mail that the order was being processed. The home page itself looks a little as if it's still under construction, but I've received my calendar, so everything is working fine in that regard. I did have the impression that sooner or later, individual print sales are meant to be added to the page, but for now that feature seems to not be working yet.

The calendar itself is really nice. I'd love to list the photos in it, but as Mark Garfinkel doesn't list them anywhere, maybe he wants them to remain a surprise for anyone who orders them. Most of his famous shots are in there, although one of my personal favourites has unfortunately not made it inside. I have to admit that not being certain which shots are included was actually the biggest argument against ordering, for me, but in the end I knew it was unlikely I'd be disappointed.

The quality is as high as you could expect from a calendar, in my opinion, and on the whole I'm very pleased with the purchase. Delivery to the UK was surprisingly quick, and I am currently looking at the walls in my room to decide which spot deserves the honour of hosting this fabulous calendar. The calendar arrived well-packaged, without even the slightest hint of a crease.

As long as there is no option to custom-make a calendar from airliners.net shots, this is probably the best civil aviation calendar I can think of (feel free to point me in the direction of any better ones, if they exist). The price tag is a little high, but with the cheap dollar being what it is, it's just about affordable for the more enthusiastic of us.

So, out of curiosity, having a professional calendar like this one made, does that require a big up-front investment? And does advertising on airliners.net pay in terms of generated sales?

Best regards

Ikarus

LHSebi

RE: Mark Garfinkel's 2005 Aviation Calendar

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:10 am

Hi Ikarus,
I have noticed that ad lots too! Was thinking about getting one, but still undecided. It's very nice of you to review it, I'm sure Mark appreciates it. Sounds like a good purchase!

Regarding the advertising, I believe that you just need to pay Johan for the banner for a certain period of time, and that's all. No extra fees if you get lots of hits! Don't ask me about the price (email Johan if interested would be my advice), but it does sound like a good deal...good targeted marketing!  Big grin

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

Ikarus
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:24 am

I once asked for the price (wanted to put some political propaganda ads online), but they were rather outside this student's budget...

Remember, it's sales, not site hits, that determine whether or not the advert is worth it...

clickhappy

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:26 am

whats the URL, for those of us that dont see the banner ads?

Jaspike

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:31 am

Logout and have a look  Laugh out loud  Big grin

http://www.markgarfinkel.com

Tom

bigphilnyc

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:58 am

I just purchased one and I'm very excited about it.  Smile

I wish more of you guys offered such a thing.

Costs for calendar production can be high. Much of it will depend on what kind of paper stock is used and what kind of bind and just the cost of raw materials.

These days there are alot of places around to get this done for fairly cheap and easily. You'd be surprised how easy it can be. But in order to make moeny fomr sales, you kinda gotta know what you're doing. Mark seems to have a good grasp of things.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

ckw

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:33 pm

Had a look at Mark's site - while I agree that he has some stunning aviation pics, I'm afraid to my mind these are overshadowed by some of his photo-journalism. Very powerful stuff indeed, a great eye for "the" moment, and great emotion. Real people in real situations.

This is (for me anyway) one problem with aviation photography - it can be a bit sterile, detached and ultimately meaningless. Mark's site has reminded me of this. Many of those pictures actually make me think about the people and events portrayed, not just about what lens, camera and exposure were used!

I wish Mark every success with his aviation photography - which is great ... but, and I hope he doesn't take this as an insult ... I don't think that's where his true talent lies.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin K. Work, Pixstel

tappan

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:23 pm

Thanks all for the very nice emails and posts.
I had fun making the calendar BUT...
If anybody does a calendar buy in bulk!
I only had 200 made and it is hard to break even.
The Boston airliner memorabilia show in late October was
a good and fun way of meeting people and selling some...and
The a.net ad was a very positive experience. You start to realize
how popular a.net is when you get many clicks on your website
due to Johan's "baby"...My last a.net ad came and went 2 days ago...
I might do another ad soon so they can be shipped and delivered before Christmas and the holidays.
Bottom line. VERY hard to break even when you are a little guy like me (only200)...
Cheers all and very peaceful holidays to you all.
Mark Garfinkel

Ikarus
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:28 pm

Hmmm. Only 200? I better treat mine very carefully then and sell it in 2010 on ebay as collector's item, eh?

tappan

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:46 pm

Ikarus,
You are too funny! Thanks for the balanced assessment....And you are correct.
I need to issue a confirmation email/
Thx again,
Mark

Gary2880

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:56 pm

i would like to see 12 pages of the photo with the wave and the guy with the umbrella its so funny, briliant photos
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Fly-K

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:46 am

From what I heard from the guys at airliners.de (their 2005 calendar includes two of my photos, with the bulk coming from fellow a.net shooter Daniel Werner), it seems as difficult as Mark says, but this year they are producing more, so I hope they're making money from it and continuing with the project.

Didn't another a.net photog earn himself the name of CalendarBoy a couple of years ago...?
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

clickhappy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:53 am

The 2003 Airliners calendar featured quite a few A.net shooters photos Big grin

Air2Air

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:33 am

Calendars can be done cost effectively. Every year I do a helicopters at work calendar. You can see it at

http://www.heliopsmag.com

The costs for doing a 1000 of these each year comes out to around $6500 NZD, about $4000 USD. It also takes a while to get a good customer base and you better be prepared to subsidise it for the first couple of years.

Air2Air.
New Zealand - Where Men Are Men And The Sheep Run Scared

ExitRow

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:38 am

Ahhhhh breaking even.

Such a lofty goal sometimes. I did with this poster:

But just barely...

Unless it's on-demand digital printing, you're gonna have to go on a four-color press and fork out at LEAST a grand. For starters.

You gotta spend money to make money. My camera bag alone is proof!  Smile

wm

B747-437B

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:53 pm

I ordered a copy of Mark's calendar as an Xmas present for my dad and Mark did a stellar job shipping it out to India. It got here this morning and dad has already said "wow" at least 5 times looking at it.

Definitely an excellent purchase and a perfect Xmas gift for an aircraft fan like my dad.

bigphilnyc

Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:06 pm

Yes, I got mine pretty fast and gave it to my parents, as they wanted to give it to me for Xmas. I'm very excited.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

javibi

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:15 am

I ordered mine 9 days ago but did not get it yet  Sad Looking forward to it.

Saludos

j

javibi

Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:04 pm

I got it today, arrived in perfect condition.  Smile

I agree with everything Ikarus said in his initial message, you'd better get yours before it is late!!!

Saludos

j

P.S: How about joining forces and creating an A.net calendar?