Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PH-TVH
Topic Author

Camera On A Budget

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:26 am

I have a little dilemma:
My old Canon EOS 650 has broken down after many years of good service. There is a problem with the shutter, which will cost about €150 to fix. Now I was looking for a while for a digital camera, but I haven’t the faintest idea which one is good for the job. With my small budget (€400) I have considered camera’s like the Kodak DX6490, Minolta Z10, Olympus C760 or the Fujifilm Finepix S5500. Can someone give me some more advise (and I don’t mean salesman crap) about a good camera in this class?? I like to know things like: Is a solid camera or just a toy? Is it capable of producing A-net standard pictures?

Greetings,
PH-TVH

philhyde

RE: Camera On A Budget

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:21 am

A fellow spotter at IAH uses an Olympus 765 with pretty good results. As you can see, she is able to achieve "airliners.net quality" pictures.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Melanie Lee

Here are more examples:

https://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Melanie%20Lee&distinct_entry=true

I was in the market a while back and I sympathize that it's hard to find the right camera in that price range. It seems like no matter where you look, there is a compromise on some feature or another. I decided to spend a little more and bought a Canon Powershot Pro1 for $600US (used).

cheers,
Phil
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

Kukkudrill

RE: Camera On A Budget

Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:35 am

I took these with a humble little Canon Powershot A85:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano

I'm not recommending it as it's only got a x3 optical zoom, but it shows that you can get photos into the database with a point-and-shoot.

I don't know the specific cameras you mentioned, but look at reviews on the net in places like http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.dcresource.com/. In my opinion, once you've got a powerful zoom and say 4 megapixels resolution, the specific features of each camera are a matter of personal choice -- what's most important is image quality. Look at the galleries for each camera with specific reference to sharpness and noise (grain), particularly in low-light situations where the latter is concerned. I suspect you'll find the Olympus gives some of the cleanest images.

Hope this helps a bit.
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life