Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAT74L
Topic Author

LAS Photography

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi all,
Will be in LAS on 3rd/4th March and would appreciate any hints/tips on photography locations. I've done a search but can't find any previous threads but I'm sure I've seen some before. And directions to previous threads appreciated also. I may get the chance to visit LAX as well and wondered how to drive the place by the park/burger joint??

Regards

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

NIKV69

RE: LAS Photography

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey John!

Want to meet me there? I am going to be in Vegas the 3rd through the 5th! I can show you the spots I like, the parking garage is a great stand by. There is a spot near the fence on Tropicana and a decent spot on LV Blvd, let me know I will have my new lens and TC and will snapping pics like mad those 3 days!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I will see if Ryan can non rev from Long Beach and join us maybe. Anyone else going to be in town those days?
I am the Googlizer!!!

JAT74L
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:03 pm

That would be excellent Nick!

We will be driving into town sometime in the early afternoon of Thurs 3rd so can arrange a time and place to meet. I'll PM you later this week to arrange.

Many thanks

John

NIKV69

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 am

John,

I am leaving here no later than 10AM on the 3rd so I will be at LAS no later than 11AM with camera in hand. If weather is good I will be there all day moving around getting pics. My email is [email protected] email me and we can exchange cell numbers, we can also get some food afterwards and look at pics. I will have my notebook with me.

Anyone else in town is more than welcome! Let us know.
I am the Googlizer!!!

lvkewlkid

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:41 pm

hi, I live in Henderson, and there is a great spotting place on Sunset, it has some parking spaces, and its very close to the Concourses.

NIKV69

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am

Lvkewlkid,

I know of that spot, it is good too! You see LAS AT today? It was coming from the south to Runway 19L and R. It was awesome!
I am the Googlizer!!!

maiznblu_757

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:38 pm

Can someone be so kind as to mark where the best spots are to photograph at LAS on this .pdf? I dont know Vegas that well and it will probably be helpful for us all.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco/online/airportdiagrams/00662AD.PDF

I am particularly looking for this spot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yo Tanaka

...but, any others would be helpful. I am heading over there in April sometime. Thanks!

[Edited 2005-02-24 04:44:07]

NIKV69

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:32 pm

I would try emailing the person who took the picture, that kind of looks like it's from the south of the airport somewhere facing north. Do what I do, drive around. It's tough to find spots to park but they are there. If you have powerful equipment, a 400 lens or better the top level of the parking garage is good. I still love Jack In the Box on LV Blvd.
I am the Googlizer!!!

tpk

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:54 pm

That shot was taken from the official viewing area off of Sunset. You're right next to the fence and have a great view of arrivals if they're using Runway 25. The lighting is best in the winter and pretty bad in the summer.

You need a ladder or a car to stand on to shoot over the fence. As long as you're a decent distance back from it (so they don't think you're trying to climb over), you shouldn't get hassled.

maiznblu_757

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:30 am

Do what I do, drive around. It's tough to find spots to park but they are there

I would but 80% of the trip will be spent at Nellis AFB. I was hoping for some detailed info so I would know right where to go since I will have limited time at LAS.

Thanks TPK, I have a ladder and a pick up truck. Should work for me.  Big thumbs up

clickhappy

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:43 am

Chad,

I posted some detailed info in a post a couple months ago, try to do a search, also Terry Nash and his crew do a really good job of calling out some of the spots on www.cactuswings.com

Royal

maiznblu_757

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:09 am

Thanks Royal, appreciate it, will check it out.

andrewuber

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:16 am

Charlie found a sweet spot while in LAS, he might be able to help you out as well.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Juszczak
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Juszczak

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

clickhappy

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:29 am

That spot is nothing special, its the viewing area, and it has 12 foot fences.

maiznblu_757

Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:49 am

That spot is nothing special, its the viewing area, and it has 12 foot fences.

I wanted a few close up's like Mr. Tanaka. I will also look for those other spots if I get time.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Apparently there is a nice spot by the freight terminal also?

clickhappy

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Chad, it will get you shots like this

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

JAT74L
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:12 pm

Some cools shots there guys...

Off to LAX on VS007 tomorrow with a bag full of camera gear raring to go!!

John

NIKV69

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Got your email John, wrote you back with my cell. Will be three days of great picture taking! The weather should be better than last week! I never saw so much rain in the desert!  Angry
I am the Googlizer!!!

United_fan

Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:37 am

Royal,were those shots taken by the FX terminal ? I found that spot last May,it a good one.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

clickhappy

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:05 pm

United_fan, yes they were. It is best in the late spring thru early fall

NIKV69

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Welcome to my respected user list John!!!  wave 

I just got back from a full day of pic taking with John and his friend Bob at LAS. Not only were they nice and friendly toward me but they also bought me a soda! I am eating dinner then heading out to have a few drinks with them. I am glad to have met and spent time with these individuals and hope to meet up with them next winter. I consider them my anet brothers.

Saw some interesting planes today including a dark grey 757 that I forgot the airline but I hear they are a new startup based in LAS, anybody know?

Also saw

Nevada One
Aviacsa's 727 with winglets and one of their 732s.
BMI A330

A great day!  bouncy 
I am the Googlizer!!!

NIKV69

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Another interesting day at LAS. Spent most of it at the Sunset spotting area. Saw a missed approach. It was a CO 739 and it was 1:30 Pacific time. If anyone knows why let me know! Saw one of the WN Shamu's and a few other interesting birds. Can't wait to see John's pics!  biggrin 
I am the Googlizer!!!

aeroweanie

Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:33 am

The Sunset viewing area has signs on the fence about no equipment within four feet of the fence. I sat thought about sitting on top of the SUV I had rented, but ended up taking pictures through the fence. The delay on my digital camera prevented any good shots. While I was there (Feb. 15), there were two Brits taking pictures too.

NIKV69

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:11 am

I know the sign says four feet but nobody really pays any mind to it. The police drove by numerous times and saw me right up against the fence snapping away and waved to me. They are OK with it. I am buying a step ladder, saw a guy using one to get a few shots over the fence at the Sunset viewing area. Great idea!!  idea  Just have to keep it in the car most of the time, this guy told me the police will hassle you if they see you using it.
I am the Googlizer!!!

JAT74L
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:52 am

Hey Nick,
We had a great day man! It was good to meet you too and please accept our thanks for showing us around and being an altogether good guy. Sorry I went off to bed a bit earlier than expected but I must've had too much tabasco in those Bloody Mary's!!!

Keep in touch.

John

JAT74L
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:56 am

Oh, and just to top it all off - this shot taken that day has become my 200th pic here on a.net!

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson

John

NIKV69

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:47 am

John,

It was my pleasure! You guys were awesome and I enjoyed the whole day and night. Your friend and I had a blast at the crap table!  dollarsign 

I also loved that hooker shoving her hand up Bob's ass! That was too funny!  rotfl 

I hope you can make out to the states again. You just email me. I am at JFK from late March till X-Mas and IFP/LAS in the winter! I am also going to LAX this January. I will meet you wherever and we can have another good time!

Also John, your tips helped me get my first pic accepted to anet! It wasn't one from that day since I am still working on them but the Sunday after we were at LAS I went to IGM with another anetter and got a rare shot of an old EALEX fuselage. I am doing a thread about it and your name will be mentioned!

Look for it!

Cheers!  wave 
I am the Googlizer!!!

JAT74L
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:51 am

Nick,
That was SO fu*kin funny!!! He's still not recovered!!

With your attitude towards aviation photography and the equipment that you use I don't see it being very long till you've got LOADS of pics up here. It took me a LONG time to "master" (joke) photoshop techniques that helped get my shots accepted and if you shoot RAW (which I know you do) makes ALL the difference.

Look forward to seeing you again mate.

Regards from myself, Bob, Dave & Gordon - the "Crapmeister"!!!

John

NIKV69

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:08 am

John,

Gordon is too funny! He had the whole crap table going nuts, he pissed off the pit bosses because he kept kissing the dice!  mad  Every time the dice had to be taken out of play and inspected. It was SO funny.

That thread is up John, take a look. I Have GRADUATED. Credits And Thanks To.. (by NIKV69 Mar 14 2005 in Aviation Photography)
I will also email you some pics I took that day and we can compare notes.

I hope you can come back here soon!

Cheers!

Nick
I am the Googlizer!!!