Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PizzaPolli
Topic Author

Thoughts On Nikon Tokina Combo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:48 am

I am about to purchase a Nikon D50 and get a Tokina AT-X 840 AF-II 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 lense. I am new to aviation photography and I am wondering if that is a good fit for the job. I am a novice so too much technical jargon wil lose me, but thanks for any and all opinions.

DLKAPA

RE: Thoughts On Nikon Tokina Combo

Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:07 am

Go for the D70, it doesn't look like the D50 has a manual mode or for that matter any creative exposure modes.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

PizzaPolli
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:01 am

When I compared the two I thought the D50 had manual. Maybe I just don't know what you mean. Is there any discernible difference between the two that would make a difference to me, a novice, or intermediate? (I'm not going to go crazy, I just need something that will do a good job)

edoca

Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:22 am

Owning a D70, I can certainly recommend that one; even more now that it has been "replaced" with the D70s. I don't know the D50's specs but I would guess that sooner or later, you'll regret not having selected the D70s... If the price difference is not too big that is...

80-400 will give you effectively 120-600 (not really, but that's the effect, due to the smaller sensor in DSLR camera's). However, I wouldn't really trust a brand like Tokina for the high-quality needs of aviation photography. I know this is purely a personal opinion, and that lens may be extremely good (just try a google search), but you should be able to get a good second-hand Nikon lens for not too much money (I bought an old 75-300mm recently for under $300).

Especially if you are not contemplating going for better than F4.5-5.6 maximum aperture (which is OK if your pockets aren't very deep) I'd recommend to go for the quality that a Nikon gives (once again, personal opinion, but I've used "cheap" lenses and keep going back to Nikon...)