Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IL76
Topic Author

Phuket Spotting

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Hi all,

For any of you guys having been to Phuket, can you tell me something about the spotting situation there? I read the comments of a shot in the database about being asked to leave by the police and being bitten by bugs. But it seems that this location:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © YK
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

is basically on the main road from the airport to the highway to Phuket, in walking distance from the terminal (30mins max). Is that correct?
Any info is most welcome and appreciated.

Eduard

PS, I will only have an hour or two to spend at the airport, after that the beach will be calling me!  Smile

Rotate

RE: Phuket Spotting

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:24 pm

Quoting IL76 (Thread starter):
PS, I will only have an hour or two to spend at the airport, after that the beach will be calling me!

i dont believe that .... , anyway, I think that those shots have been made from the tower ... (thats what I remember what Sam said some time ago)
basically I think it is ok to go spotting, just talking about above location.

Robin
ABC

draigonair

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 pm

Eduard,

You cant get there, the Tower its restricted...A good place to go it go to the beach infront of the runway think you can get some nice shots there just like SXM. Not that hard to get there. Not sure about other side of runway. But the beach is your best location. Next to the runway i believe there is a road but that's level to the runway. Just get a map of the airport and surroundings and see where you can go.

good luck

cheers

Nick

P.S eduard are you going to Phuket via Singapore?

[Edited 2005-10-11 14:50:18]
cheers

Rotate

Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:55 pm

here you go eduard .... , BEACH+SPOTTING ...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Blanchard - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © YK
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicholas Osborne

ABC

N178UA

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 am

Hi Eduard,

The road where the rocks are where you can make photos is closed due to the close proxmity to the taxiway and fence, I was told yesterday, seem Southern Thailand have step up their security measure.

I would think the beach is the best option for 1 or 2 hour, it is an ideal and unique spot in the morning. But remember the traffic is slow in HKT, but do have the quality and the background to support it.

Email me if you need more details.

Sam
For more of myself and my flight reviews visit http://www.SamChui.com

IL76
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:41 am

Thanks everyone...
I'm about to fly off now, so I hope that beach is in walking distance from the terminal. Our Phuket trip was planned quite last minute, so I had no time to do some spotting research.
Nick... Yes, I'm flying Tiger Airways in an hour or so. Using T1 free internet right now.  Smile

I'll see what happens when I arrive. Supposedly the weather in Phuket isn't great at the moment, at least, that's what is showed at the check-in counter.

Cheers,
Eduard

draigonair

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:08 am

Good luck eduard  Smile Yeh its rainy season there now...believe its Best in December... also heard singapore is also very rainy last couple of weeks...

Oh well hope you get lots of sun there Big grin

cheers

Nick
cheers

IL76
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:18 pm

So I'm back...
Runway 27 was in use all weekend, judging from overflying airplanes. Note that the 'beach' runway is 09. So no spectacular SXM-like beach shots unfortunately.  Sad
The airport was 1 hour drive from my hotel, so I didn't bother going up and down during the weekend, I spent my time at the pool, beach, 'James Bond' island or eating great Thai food.
This morning I went to the airport a little earlier to walk to the beach. Still with runway 27 in use, I got a nice shot of a Thai 744 taking off towards me, but that's about it. As I was boarding my flight back to Singapore they switched to 09 landing. Just my luck...  Sad In awful weather...
SO... Perhaps I'll have a shot or two to upload in a couple of weeks when I get home...

So that was the latest news on Phuket!  Smile

Eduard

IL76
Topic Author

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:18 pm

Can't edit my post anymore, but here's a shot taken this morning:

Pay no mind to the editing... laptop is old and Photoshop too (5.5, no RAW converter)...  Smile

Cheers,
E

diezel

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:20 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 8):
Pay no mind to the editing... laptop is old and Photoshop too (5.5, no RAW converter)...

well......that's still a pretty cool shot!

Roel.
Never be afraid of what you like. (Miles Davis)

LGA777

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 am

Actually I think it is a very cool and unique shot, with an angle like that I would have probably made at least one trip and back from the hotel, after all your still at the "Beach". Anyway thanks for sharing !

Cheers

LGA777

Rotate

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting IL76 (Reply 7):
The airport was 1 hour drive from my hotel, so I didn't bother going up and down during the weekend, I spent my time at the pool, beach, 'James Bond' island or eating great Thai food.
This morning I went to the airport a little earlier to walk to the beach. Still with runway 27 in use, I got a nice shot of a Thai 744 taking off towards me, but that's about it.

well, pretty cool that you just enjoyed ur days off ... , the shot you have is just awesom! congrats for being pretty cool and relaxed!

Robin
ABC