Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EGGD
Topic Author

Any Point In Uploading?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:35 am

Hi guys,

I gave up the aviation photography a while ago but I decided to take out my compact camera to the flying school today to take some happy snaps. We just so happened to have a pretty intense sunset so I thought I'd take a couple of shots of our loyal little workhorse. It's really just one for the album but the sky was so spectacular I was wondering if it'd be worth trying here. I can't really tell how good the quality is because of the monitor i'm using but it's more the motive that I'm ambiguous on.

I have another photo showing the whole of the aircraft but I thought the aircraft itself was possibly too dark. Still, impressive flash range for such a small compact camera!

One for the albums or should I upload it just on the off-chance?

Cheers,

Dan

EGGD
Topic Author

RE: Any Point In Uploading?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:15 am

Even a simple 'no' would suffice  angel 

F9Widebody

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:20 am

Tough calls here, but to err on the side of cautious, I would not upload. I don't like the flash contrast with the orange sky, a silouhette may have been a better idea. Plus the front of the plane isn't lit very well. That and I think the first may get badmotive for the angle of the plane.

My  twocents 
YES URLS in signature!!!

EGGD
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:29 am

To be honest a silhouette wasn't really on my agenda when I was taking the picture Big grin. With the tree line in the background I don't think it would have come out with as much contrast as I would have liked (I think it would have looked 'messy'). Thanks for the input though! In a way i'd rather not upload them because to have them rejected might 'tarnish' them in some way in my mind (not quite sure). They're good for me!

Espion007

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 am

No. Got nothing in my mind saying that will be accepted.
Snakes on a Plane!

aviopic

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:32 am

I like them Dan, well done.
They do need some work though as you maybe fiddled a bit to much with the levels which is making the sky rather grainy.

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

EGGD
Topic Author

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:53 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 4):
No. Got nothing in my mind saying that will be accepted.

Good for you  Smile.

Quoting Aviopic (Reply 5):
I like them Dan, well done.
They do need some work though as you maybe fiddled a bit to much with the levels which is making the sky rather grainy.

Willem

I'm not quite sure about that but i'll assume that it was the use of a higher ISO that made the grain evident. I pretty much just had to snap a couple of pictures as I was walking away and so I just used 'Normal' mode which has an auto ISO setting. The Canon IXUS700 whilst being a very good camera does not have good manual controls and it is not particularly easy to change most settings! The levels (especially in the first) are pretty much as they came out of the camera.

Thanks for the input!

Dan.

Psych

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:12 pm

Hello Dan.

For me that sunset outweighs any small issues with quality. I think the site should ideally have a place for that first photo, which I think is very striking. I don't think the second one has enough positives going for it.

There are some quality issues, but I am not sure if they could be rectified in editing (I'd be happy to take a look at the original if you would like a second opinion). For example, it would be nice for that large registration not to have any jaggies. But, given the fact there are only 3 other shots of this plane in the database, I would be behind an argument for acceptance with some minor changes. As we so often hear - there needs to be some flexibility in the standards for acceptance, dependent on the subject matter.

All the best.

Paul

viv

Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:44 pm

I would upload the first one. A very striking shot.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

Kukkudrill

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:06 pm

I agree with Paul and Viv. Upload!
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

DLKAPA

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Simply stunning is the only description I have.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

saxdiva

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:56 pm

For whatever my lowly opinion is worth, I'd suggest a VERY careful post-processing (which you may already have done--my laptop screen sucks), and then absolutely upload it. It's a lovely photo and that won't change even if it doesn't get in.

If it does get in, though, and you allow print sales, be sure to let us know, because I think it would look great hanging on my office wall.

-Leanne
See terms for details....

EGGD
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:23 am

Thanks everyone for the input.

Paul - The registration I did have difficulty with. The problem lies in the fact that i've lost my photoshop settings for USM and the values that i'm using now i'm pretty sure are wrong (radius 1.0, threshold 0 although I have since changed it to 1). The exact amount of sharpening I did was 90% with radius 1.0 and threshold 0 and I noticed the jaggies beginning to appear. I have since reworked the photo at 1600x1200 and at 50% and the jaggies have not become apparent (I don't think, my monitor is very fuzzy). I'll try and upload the original somewhere if anyone would like to have a fiddle.

Cheers,

Dan

aviopic

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:46 am

Could not help myself Dan and had to try.

http://www.honders.net/tmp/goxomdusk.jpg

Removed grain from the sky, jaggies from aircraft and some other thingies.

Good luck with it,
WTH

[Edited 2005-11-15 21:47:32]
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

EGGD
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 am

Thanks Willem, I've uploaded the original here: http://www.filefactory.com/get/v2.1/f2.php?f=aab95a1ee0c1a579324727a0 (due to a lack of FTP access), if anyone would like modify it from scratch or just steal the image  Wink.

EGGD
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:37 am

Hi there,

Just got accepted! Unfortunetely with a rather large batch of photos so I doubt it'll get seen much i'm glad I could share it with people!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Hamer

Thanks for everybodies help!

draigonair

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Congrats!

cheers

Nick
cheers