Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALDUDE
Topic Author

Radisson LAX- Where To Shoot From?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:28 am

I know that some people shoot from the Radisson Hotel LAX. Are they shooting from a room facing the north or is there another spot to shot from at the hotel? I have shot a great deal at LAX, but never there and would like to check it out. Thanks.

crank

RE: Radisson LAX- Where To Shoot From?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:03 pm

There is a lounge on the roof, you can go outside and shoot from the rooftop.

JeffM

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:11 pm

Quoting Crank (Reply 1):
There is a lounge on the roof, you can go outside and shoot from the rooftop.

Cool. Never knew it was there. I'm here in LA all week, gonna give it a shot.

waketurbulence

Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 am

Jeff could you please let us know if we need a keycard to get up there, or if they harrass you at all for shooting. I have looked at that hotel a lot, but never knew it had a deck on top. I don't want to go up there just to get shot down.  Big grin
-Matt

mikephotos

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:07 am

Matt...you've got mail.

-Mike

waketurbulence

Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:29 am

Thanks Mike, very helpful.
-Matt

southpaw8669

Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:35 am

guys,

I was up there and I was not staying at the hotel and had no problems. It is very quiet up there during the day. No keycard needed.

I will be heading back in January, this time I am staying at the Radisson.

Eric
@southpawcapture

UALDUDE
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:26 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I will probably be down there this weekend and wanted to be prepared. I have seen some of the pics from there and it looks like an awesome spot.

DLX737200

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:40 pm

What do the shots from this location look like? Thanks

mikephotos

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting Dlx737200 (Reply 8):
What do the shots from this location look like? Thanks

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

Mike

BigOrange

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:17 am

Quoting Southpaw8669 (Reply 6):
I was up there and I was not staying at the hotel and had no problems

And it's guys like you that spoil it for the rest. While I'm not saying that you personally will cause problems, there are certain people that will, and once that happens the whole top floor will be closed to all spotters whether they are staying there or not!

Security do spot checks. In the past, they have threatened to lock the doors completely so that even hotel guests cannot get up there during the day, all because of a few idiots!

ua935

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:23 am

Evening,

Is it the Radison on W.Century Boulevard which we are talking about here?

Not sure if there is more than one Radison at LAX and wish to book into the correct one.

Regards Simon
Live every second like you mean it

BigOrange

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting Ua935 (Reply 11):

Is it the Radison on W.Century Boulevard which we are talking about here?

That is correct!

southpaw8669

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:32 am

Quoting Ua935 (Reply 11):
And it's guys like you that spoil it for the rest

How do I spoil it for the rest, I was up there with several other spotters some of which where guest of the hotel. At times I was up there by myself and still had no problems, I was never asked to leave by security or by anyone else. I liked it up there so much that when I go back in January I am staying at the Radisson. I guess if I was not staying at the hotel I would have to ask your permission.

Eric
@southpawcapture

icebird757

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:29 am

All it takes is one person out of line or if there are too many people up there at one time they may decide to shut it off to spotters and believe me that us locals would not be happy!

This spot should be used with extreme caution especially now since it has been brought into the open air here.

Stephen
I kick chocks

JeffM

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:47 am

Quoting Icebird757 (Reply 14):
All it takes is one person out of line or if there are too many people up there at one time they may decide to shut it off to spotters and believe me that us locals would not be happy!

Do you "Locals" get a room there? If not, what makes it any different for you vs. someone from out of town? Or do you just make a big "L" with your right hand on your forehead when you walk in?  Smile

I was there yesterday evening, did not want to pay $12 bucks to park as it was already too dark. Where do you park for less, or is that it?

icebird757

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 15):
Do you "Locals" get a room there? If not, what makes it any different for you vs. someone from out of town? Or do you just make a big "L" with your right hand on your forehead when you walk in? Smile

I was there yesterday evening, did not want to pay $12 bucks to park as it was already too dark. Where do you park for less, or is that it?

Actually yes there are a couple of locals who do get rooms there on occassion. The $12 is really the only place to park unless you want to walk a little to get to the Radisson. Personally I don't care a whole lot for that spot, there are far more superior spots around LAX to shoot at.
I kick chocks

CX777

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Here is another example.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rajesh Changela

I do agree 100% with Stephen (Icebird757)..... this spot is not a 'public' spot. If lots of people just show up there...you can bet it will be closed in NO TIME. I stayed there a week and would suggest to use only if you are staying at the hotel or visiting a hotel guest.
Spotting over the years have changed tremendously and now requires a spotter to be VERY RESPONSIBLE & UNDERSTANDING. Anything less and you are inviting a whole lot of unpleasent situations.

Raj

QANTAS077

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:48 pm

ahhhhh sweet, i was wondering where those shots came from, turns out i got the Radisson LAX for $50 a night off priceline for next month, can't wait to popup to the top floor with the camera!

has anyone had any bother from staff that have stayed there recently? also, whats the price of a beer?

[Edited 2005-12-08 09:56:43]

Rotate

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 10):
And it's guys like you that spoil it for the rest. While I'm not saying that you personally will cause problems, there are certain people that will, and once that happens the whole top floor will be closed to all spotters whether they are staying there or not!

Security do spot checks. In the past, they have threatened to lock the doors completely so that even hotel guests cannot get up there during the day, all because of a few idiots!

Quoting CX777 (Reply 17):
I do agree 100% with Stephen (Icebird757)..... this spot is not a 'public' spot. If lots of people just show up there...you can bet it will be closed in NO TIME. I stayed there a week and would suggest to use only if you are staying at the hotel or visiting a hotel guest.

So, you guys are allowed to go there and the others not, or ????? Just face it, the spot is great and people will show up.
If room or without room, doesnt matter. I am also 100% sure that the spot will be closed in no time, so use it while you can.

Robin
ABC

mirrodie

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Quoting Rotate (Reply 19):
So, you guys are allowed to go there and the others not, or ?????

Holy moly, you guys really know how to stir the bullshit, huh?

All Orange and Stephen were staying was to go up there and be mindful and respectful of the venue. Sheesh! Dont screw it up for anyone else.

Whats that mean? Go to the roof, and since its a lounge, be a gentlemen and buy a few drinks, either alcoholic or non-alcohol, tip the waitstaff well and take photos of planes. And if asked what you are doing, don't be obnoxious.
The bar makes business and you get photos, and everyone goes home happy.

its jsut called simple courtesy and thats what I beleive Orange ans Stephen were getting at.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Rotate

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:49 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 20):
All Orange and Stephen were staying was to go up there and be mindful and respectful of the venue. Sheesh! Dont screw it up for anyone else.

Whats that mean? Go to the roof, and since its a lounge, be a gentlemen and buy a few drinks, either alcoholic or non-alcohol, tip the waitstaff well and take photos of planes. And if asked what you are doing, don't be obnoxious.
The bar makes business and you get photos, and everyone goes home happy.

I do double that .....

Srry , if I got the it wrong before, it sounded different to me, anyway ...

Robin
ABC

Lindy

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:22 pm

As Eric said earlier, we were there invited by hotel guests. We didn't know about that spot so we've stayed at Sheraton hotel. If we knew about it, we would definately have stayed there.

BTW - if Youri and Alex are reding this, please respond. I want to add you to my Respected Users list for inviting me up there  Smile

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

aviatortj

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:38 am

What kind of glass are people using from this spot? It could be worth while if it is within my range. Is anyone going to be up there within the next month? Winter break is coming soon for me, so it could be time to take a trip. Big grin

-TJ O'Keefe

CX777

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 am

Sorry I am not sure how to quote replies.
But I think Mirrodie is on the right track. Its an 'bar lounge' and I am not sure how many of them are out there, where one can just go and 'hang out'! It opens at 5pm however we had breakfast & lunch brought up to the lounge and room service was more than happy to do that. So use the place wisely and be responsible! (I received over 85 e-mails in last week since I posted this shot and I replied to all with same response.. advising where the photo was taken) I hope everyone gets to spot from this nice vantage point but that will only happen if WE ARE & WE ACT RESPONSIBLE. Just my 2 cents.

Raj

agd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:55 am

Hi all,

The lounge at the Radisson LAX is such a great spotting location. It was quite "a new location" for LAX at the time we went so it was really pleasant to be there.

However we have to be really careful with that matter so it won't close forever. Big crowds on the rooftop, where there isn't any real protection such as fences and stuff, might make the hotel direction to take some decisions. Use the "click and run" tactic, go outside only when something you want to get is on final, and have a drink or a meal inside in between landing traffic. As Raj said, we have to be responsible.

It is really an awesome location, but we do have to take care of it. And unfortunatly I doubt it would last for long. To those staying at Radisson LAX, take the elevator to the lounge, and enjoy!

My own 2 cents.

Regards,

Alex G.-Denicourt - Contrails Aviation Photography

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex G.-Denicourt - Contrails Aviation Photography

NO URLS in signature

maiznblu_757

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:54 am

Wasnt this the same hotel that hosted an airline enthusiast show not all that long ago? If so, how many photogs were out there on the deck at the same time? Im sure they are pretty used to seeing us now.
I think as long as you are staying there and you clean up after yourself and act responsibly it shouldnt be an issue with them.

I can say that I personally wouldnt feel right about hanging out up there if I wasn't staying there. Thats just me.

Chad

QANTAS077

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm

what time can you go up to the lounge? reading Raj's response it appears he was up there in the morning? is the lounge area open when the bar is closed? i don't fully understand? I'll be staying there for a few nights so that's a bonus...i know CX arrives in the mid afternoon before 5pm.

agd

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:18 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 27):
what time can you go up to the lounge?

I remember being up there as early as 7 in the morning. But I guess sun isn't too good at 7am at this time of the year. Still a great place to enjoy breakfast!
NO URLS in signature

southpaw8669

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:59 pm

Here's the thing, the lounge does not open till around 4PM, however the doors are open and you can just sit up there. Have room service brought up or whatever. Around 3 the Bartender starts to set things up for the night, he didn't say anything to us and let us go about our business. So by this time you have been up there for a few hours and are ready to move to a another location. Back in October, I was up there with four or five other spotters plus there where another two just doing Registrations. There was also a small group having lunch. We just sat there until we saw something good on approach, went outside, shot it and sat back down.

Eric
@southpawcapture

BigOrange

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:58 am

All I was saying is there are certain people, including a UK tour group that act "inappropriately" wherever they go.

It's people like this that get "convenient" places like the top of the Radisson closed to non guests and maybe even guests.

Go up there, enjoy the view from in the lounge and just run out on the balcony whenever there is something interesting on approach.

I am not a local, and wasn't particularly impressed with the hotel to be honest, but if the location suits your needs then that's your choice.

For anyone ordering room service there, don't order water. I asked for iced water and they brought up 2 bottles of Evian for which I was charged $20

dacman

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:12 am

Hello All,

This is not the Hotel where the Airliners International 2004 Show was held, that was the Sheraton a couple blocks east up Century Blvd. None of our local shows have been held at the Raddison either.

As Raj, Stephen, and Orange have stated, be respectful of this location. It's a shaky spot anyway and could be closed off to us at anytime. I was surprised when I found out they were allowing folks out in the first place.

Anyone planning a trip to LAX can contact a local and get the latest updates on shooting and spotting locations around LAX. We are friendly lot and welcome everyone, we have a beautiful airport and like meeting and making new friends from around the world.

Just keep in mind when planning an LAX trip, that LAX is still under an "Orange" alert so security is much tighter than most U.S. airports and some discretion must be used.

Let me just say to our out of town guests, Please don't come to L.A. with the attitude I'll shoot where I want, when I want and tell the police its my "RIGHT" to take pictures when asked to move along as so many have in the past.

Once you leave and have "YOUR" LAX shots the rest of us who live here and have spotted and shot LAX for years must deal with the repercussions from the LA Airport Police and LAPD.

Please be respectful at any airport you visit and always get in touch with a local and get the "lay of the land" as it were before you visit it makes for a much more pleasant trip.

Mike
Dacman
LAX/LGB Local
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

Virgin7

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:26 am

Hi

We've stayed at the Radisson twice in the last three years and found it a great place to stay.

Going to LAX on February 9th ( vs7 ) but this time staying at the Clarion a little further along from the Radisson,beginning to wonder whether this is a good idea or not.

Anybody got any opinions on the Clarion?, I can still re-book.

Cheers!!!

Nick

crank

Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:13 am

Quoting Lindy (Reply 22):
As Eric said earlier, we were there invited by hotel guests. We didn't know about that spot so we've stayed at Sheraton hotel. If we knew about it, we would definately have stayed there.

BTW - if Youri and Alex are reding this, please respond. I want to add you to my Respected Users list for inviting me up there Smile

Rafal

Hey Rafal!

I hope you got a decent amount pics of Soutwest 737s without titles from the roof!  bigthumbsup 

Cheers,
Youri

Lindy

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:11 am

I was aiming for Air Canada metal  Wink

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

CX777

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:54 am

Thanks Mike for putting all that nicely.... maybe the new comers to our hobby will realize that it is 'life long passion' and not for just for a 'trip' or two!
BigOrange you not kidding about the prices....but then again there are only few places (Int'l fields with great traffic) in the world where one can have breakfast or lunch and enjoy the hobby with a great view (LAX reminds me of Kai Tak lounge on top floor)

Have a Happy Holidays to all.

Raj

maiznblu_757

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:22 am

Please explain this comment:

Quoting CX777 (Reply 35):
maybe the new comers to our hobby will realize that it is 'life long passion' and not for just for a 'trip' or two!

It sounds like you are implying that there is Radisson Aviation Photography, and then there is everything else. Dont get me wrong, it looks like a cool place, and I would love to get a few shots from there, but, that comment sounds a little conceded if you ask me.

CX777

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:27 am

Only IF YOU TAKE IT THAT WAY...... I dont not consider myself any expert...I am far from it.... my only concers are following the hobby in a 'new' times, informing fellow photags (including you!) of a new or a different spots and keeping the hobby for what its worth. Obviously you did not bother to read and digest the replies before.
Take care..... I am done.
Raj

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:24 am

I did read the replies before you're statement...now I just realized you're english isn't very good, so I will apologize for reading it as it sounded. Good day.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:41 am

You start by saying it's people like HIM that spoil it for the rest. Then, you say not him personally?  confused  Not to mention you have no idea who this person is and he will not do anything to cause that area to be shut down.

Quoting Southpaw8669 (Reply 13):
I liked it up there so much that when I go back in January I am staying at the Radisson. I guess if I was not staying at the hotel I would have to ask your permission.

LOL. Nice one Eric, I am on that site right now, I may book there too so I can shoot there and not worry about anything.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 18):
ahhhhh sweet, i was wondering where those shots came from, turns out i got the Radisson LAX for $50 a night off priceline for next month, can't wait to popup to the top floor with the camera!

has anyone had any bother from staff that have stayed there recently? also, whats the price of a beer?

Oh my, the three of us staying at the same hotel?  crazy  Your first 3 beers are on me Monty so don't worry!  drunk 
I am the Googlizer!!!

Tbird

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:43 am

Your statement to Eric is completely baseless and without merit.

I've spotted with Eric many times, even at the Raddison and he's a model spotter. I've also spotted at the Raddison as a guest and not a guest and they have no problem what so ever with people going up there from talking with staff members. Why people are making such a big deal about it is beyond me. Its almost like this was secret to some who are ticked off the cats out of the bag that more people have discovered it.

QANTAS077

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:12 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 39):
Oh my, the three of us staying at the same hotel? crazy Your first 3 beers are on me Monty so don't worry! drunk

i'm staying around the corner at the Westin when we all meetup, i'm at the Radisson from 18-20jan and Westin from 28-30jan...but i'll gladly knock off the beers!  Wink

NIKV69

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 41):
i'm staying around the corner at the Westin when we all meetup, i'm at the Radisson from 18-20jan and Westin from 28-30jan...but i'll gladly knock off the beers!

Just booked the Radisson for the 28-30th. I am ready to spot and to throw back a few beers, don't worry Monty we will have a couple  drunk 
I am the Googlizer!!!

ake0404ar

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:54 pm

One thing most of you guys should take into consideration:

THIS IS A LOUNGE (an ambient style where you can relax, do it with class and a have a drink.....) .......not a local hang out for photographers.

Btw.....hotel security is not too keen about photographers hanging out up there, even though I was a registered guest (personal experience)

Vasco G.

p.s. Like many others spots....this will be gone in no time, since a few idiots (who are just idiots) will spoil it for the rest.

QANTAS077

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Quoting AKE0404AR (Reply 43):
Like many others spots....this will be gone in no time, since a few idiots (who are just idiots) will spoil it for the rest.

i'd like to think that those idiots don't read this forum, i'm quite certain that those who use this site would be well aware of how to counduct themselves without everyone drumming it into us every 5 mins.

a few beers amongst friends, some photos every now n again and a bite to eat sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon...

NIKV69

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:07 am

One thing most of you guys should take into consideration:

THIS IS A LOUNGE (an ambient style where you can relax, do it with class and a have a drink.....) .......not a local hang out for photographers.

We will note your statement, thanks. {talktothe hand}

Btw.....hotel security is not too keen about photographers hanging out up there, even though I was a registered guest (personal experience)

We will deal with hotel security. I would be willing to bet if we ask ahead of time to the proper channels we will be allowed to shoot there, whether it's lounge hours or not.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 44):
a few beers amongst friends, some photos every now n again and a bite to eat sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon...

Yep, I am looking forward to this weekend, LAS, LAX, the show and some spotting. Should be nice.
I am the Googlizer!!!

BigOrange

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting Tbird (Reply 40):
Your statement to Eric is completely baseless and without merit.

Not at all. It wasn't aimed at Eric. It was aimed at people in general who use facilities when they are not registered guests and then the management have a problem with it and legitimate users lose out. See reply 30 for an explanation.

Quoting Tbird (Reply 40):
Its almost like this was secret to some who are ticked off the cats out of the bag that more people have discovered it.

See above.

While I agree with you, the bar is not open during the hours these guys will be shooting.

There was a thread on the CAE list earlier this year about hotel management threatening to ban the use of the bar area for spotters/photographers due to certain idiots running round the bar during opening hours trying to read off aircraft tail numbers. On the same list there has been a thread about the hotels around Dubai airport where spotting/photography got banned by the Dubai secret service because people were pointing long lenses in the wrong direction.

All I am saying is at least check with hotel management before going up there, that way you don't screw it up for the rest!

BTW as I know Nik and I think you TBird are from the NY area, the tour group I referred to are going to be in NY early next year. Expect there to be a PD clampdown on the rest of us after their visit!

NIKV69

Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 46):
Not at all. It wasn't aimed at Eric. It was aimed at people in general who use facilities when they are not registered guests and then the management have a problem with it and legitimate users lose out. See reply 30 for an explanation.

I read your reply, here it is.

And it's guys like you that spoil it for the rest.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me.  footinmouth 

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 46):
BTW as I know Nik and I think you TBird are from the NY area, the tour group I referred to are going to be in NY early next year. Expect there to be a PD clampdown on the rest of us after their visit!

Oh great. That's just what we need.  sarcastic 
I am the Googlizer!!!

YukonTrader

Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:53 am

A great place indeed (thanks Youri and Alex for your additional info during our unplanned meet in ZRH on the 25th); To those that haven't seen it yet:

- It seems the place has been well known among tail number spotters from the UK and Holland for years, as I've been told. Seems they came to like it as the only place to observe all four runways when the LAX theme building was closed for renovations a couple years back.

- For photographers: If you're not comfortable with using the longest lenses you have, then this is not the place to be. Expect analogue ca. 600mm focal length for a Boeing 737, 300mm for a B747. On a digital SLR camera with a 1.5-factor, your 200mm-400mm zoom will be what you ideally need all day long.

- My hope is that the place never gets too crowded for the above reason...

- While visiting recently (early December), the room was only accessible without restrictions on one out of three days: Day one was ok, on day two, hotel staff closed it for cleaning from 8am to 2pm, on day three a function was held up there with preparations starting from ca. 10am onwards. So be prepared to move to other photography spots when hotel staff appears and "takes possession" of their room.

- From the signs near the door: It is obvious that the lounge is open, but reserved to hotel guests and their visitors from 6am to 5pm. From 5pm onwards, when the bar opens for trade, it is accessible to the general public coming in for a drink. So if you're visiting, consider booking a room to be on the safe side.

Thanks to everyone in advance who helps preserve the spot as long as possible! Cheers, Lukas

BigOrange

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 47):
I read your reply, here it is.

And it's guys like you that spoil it for the rest.

Why are you quoting reply 10??? I told you to read reply 30!