Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

work4bmi
Topic Author

Rejections Ruining My Ratio?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:53 pm

Hello,

I had a few problems that affected my upload ratio recently, dust spots! I have since had these removed (by canon uk) and at least now, images are "clean"...

Anyway, a new year and all that I upload a new shot only for a rejection to appear in my inbox for "bad file name"... Having read the provided details on this, and looking at the file name I see no wrong? Infact I use the same prefix for all my uploads - certainly in the past year anyway.

The second rejection comes in the way of colours. It has been screened by a screener in training, so I accept that rejections may not always be - plus its not my style to argue with the screeners, I do infact appreciate and respect what they do, come "accept" or "reject"

I do however like to seek advice on an appeal on this forum, so certainly for the second rejection - see the below image and let me know if I should I appeal. It will save me wasting the screeners time.

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...?filename=20060107_GCDKB.1.20D.jpg

"There is a problem with the colours in these photo(s). This may be due
to
one of two reasons: either there is a strong colour cast that makes the
photo(s) look too red/blue/yellow etc., or you seem to be using a low
colour depth in your photos."

My concern is that my upload ratio may be affected unnecessarily, which I dont want - is there a way this can be reversed if such an error has occured?

Happy new year all, and keep on snappin!

Thanks,

Aaron
Fly Around The World : Above & Beyond

dendrobatid

RE: Rejections Ruining My Ratio?

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Aaron
You have read my mind by going for a sepia toned image. I have been wanting to try for a while and have experimented with a few that I have not uploaded (yet)
I have to say that I have been experimenting with some oldie aircraft in suitable settings and whilst yours is a good image, I am not so sure that the modern subject works that well with sepia.
I know that photos that have been taken in colour and manipulated to black and white have been accepted on the db, but had yet to see a sepia toned one.
A possible rejection for manipulation I had anticipated, colour I had not thought of !
A good opportunity to join in discussion and see if screeners feel that sepia toned images are acceptable
Mick Bajcar

jid

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:40 pm

You still have the bad filename

20060107_GCDKB.1.20D.jpg

Replace the first two full stops with underscores or more rejections will follow

20060107_GCDKB_1_20D.jpg

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

dc10tim

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi Aaron,

There seems to be a yellowish tinge around the shadow underneath the fuselage on my screen.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

GBOAB

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi Aaron

I feel also that the aircraft should sit a bit lower in the frame

Ian
Concorde's gone but not forgotten

work4bmi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:17 pm

Jid,

Rgds the file names, this is what I have be using for a year or so?? I'll take note and see what happens.

Tim, Ian

Rgds the yellow, is it that obvious - as I dont quite see it? Would this really be a reason to reject?

Keep me updated, I take all this onboard with the most appreciation of your time.

dc10tim

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 am

Aaron,

I've just recalibrated my screen and the yellow I could see earlier is nearly gone. Perhaps just a very very small hint of brown around the shadowed area under the fuselage, but hardly noticable.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

clickhappy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:33 am

We do not accept 'sepia' or 'duotone' images.

We do allow you to slide on creating black and white images from a color original, but tinted images are going to far and should be rejected for either color or manipulation.

dendrobatid

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 7):
tinted images are going too far and should be rejected for either color or manipulation.

Not sure that I agree as sepia could enhance the right image.
However, thanks, I do at least know the answer now.

Mick Bajcar

spotterke

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:24 am

We do allow you to slide on creating black and white images from a color original, but tinted images are going to far and should be rejected for either color or manipulation.

I do not agree with this,if you accept black and white,you have to accept sepia as well.There's no difference imo.If you reject a picture like this,you'll have to reject any pic then!

I agree with Dendrobatid,sepia indeed can enhance the image!!
Marc

clickhappy

Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:39 am

Well, thats always the problem isn't it Mick? While there might be certain cases where it is justified what you get is a whole lot of "me too" types who try applying it to all sorts of images and then they say nasty things when theirs is rejected.

APFPilot1985

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:19 am

While it may look neat it makes no sense for that image to be in sepia. When I uploaded this one
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Reid Antonacchio

I tried black and white to recreate what a photo might have looked like when this color scheme was actually in service. However a sepia color cast doesn't fit a new plane with a current scheme. As much as it pains me  Wink I have to agree with the screeners on this one.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

dendrobatid

Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 10):
Well, thats always the problem isn't it Mick? While there might be certain cases where it is justified what you get is a whole lot of "me too" types who try applying it to all sorts of images and then they say nasty things when theirs is rejected.

LOL !
Yes, I quite understand and agree too.....to a point.
Look at what I upload and there are some that could justify sepia, some of the old black and white photos that I took donkeys years ago. appropriate subjects and, almost as important, appropriate backgrounds too. I have some sepia toned prints, smelly chemicals, the works. Now, if I was to scan some of those..........
A blanket ban is not my idea of a solution, though I am certain that it would be best for you (screeners), and that is not a dig.
I now know the rules and will stop looking for the perfect neg to tone (not likely!)
Mick Bajcar

aviopic

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:22 am

Aaron first of all it's a nice shot.
Personally I don't think the sepia filter is appropriate for this aircraft though.

Since when is that ?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Willem Honders
View Large View Medium

Photo © Willem Honders

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

tfsphoto

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:32 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © TFSPhoto

Lew

nosedive

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting Aviopic (Reply 13):
Personally I don't think the sepia filter is appropriate for this aircraft though.

For some reason, I like it. To each their own.

Aaron, can you send me an un watermarked copy of the Saab 2000 so I can put it in my backgrounds folder?

My email is: [email protected]

Jason

work4bmi
Topic Author

Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:53 am

Clickhappy,

Thanks for clearing this up, like Mick - now that I know I will now consider any future "coloured" photos. Though Mick being Mick, he wont need any effects to add to images, he is the old school dude!

Thank you to all of you to for your views, its nice to see a constructive post, which has helped me and maybe others too - well done!

My own personal view is, I do infact like the photo. Am sure this would be seen more creative and "different" than just a standard shot in colour? It was used this way in publication (sepia), and I thought it'd be a nice addition to a.net - for now, obviously not a.net standard, and so I must respect that.

Jason, check your inbox shortly.

Thanks,

Aaron

[Edited 2006-01-07 22:59:16]

APFPilot1985

Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting TFSPhoto (Reply 14):
View Large View MediumPhoto © TFSPhoto

Lew

see that one i don't understand being in bw either?
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion