Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tpk
Topic Author

CLT Runway Question

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:30 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a preferred calm wind traffic pattern at CLT? I'd appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Thanks,
Tim
PHX

b764

RE: CLT Runway Question

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:02 am

As a former resident of CLT, I can tell you 65-70% of the time 18R, 18L, & 23 are used. If bad weather traffic is switched to 36L & R. If wind is from the south traffic arrives from the North. Wind from the north, traffic arrives from the south. Hope this helps.

tpk
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:02 am

Thanks for the help. I was looking to take a quick nonrev trip there and didn't want to go unless I was reasonably sure they'd be using 18R (for the overlook). I went yesterday, winds were from the south, and the trip turned out really well. That's an amazing park. It'll be a shame when that goes away with the new runway. I'm going to make a point to take a few more trips between now and then.

Thanks again,
Tim

toneale

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Tim, I have used the overlook a few times and love it! However, be careful not to stray. Yesterday they were using 36R and L, so I went to the general aviation area and shot through a gap at a fence gate. I was questioned by the local police and run off by the airport rent-a-cops. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but they sure didn't want to let the facts get in the way of their overreaching.

Trey

jakbar

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting Tpk (Reply 2):
It'll be a shame when that goes away with the new runway.

How much longer until that park is no longer available? I have been wanting to go down to CLT for some time now, but this may be a good reason to do it soon.

tpk
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 pm

According to the airport's website, it construction will begin in fall of this year:

Fourth Runway - The airport has acquired the majority of approximately 1,500 acres of land needed to build its fourth runway. The runway, which will be adjacent to Runway 18R/36L, will be 9,000 feet long. The airport anticipates starting runway design in early 2006. Pending funding approval and the issuance of required permits, construction will begin in Fall 2006.

JeffM

Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting Toneale (Reply 3):
I went to the general aviation area and shot through a gap at a fence gate.

That will get you run off at 90% or more of most airports. Once you break the 6-10' barrier, you are asking for it.

727LOVER

Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting Toneale (Reply 3):
Tim, I have used the overlook a few times and love it! However, be careful not to stray. Yesterday they were using 36R and L, so I went to the general aviation area and shot through a gap at a fence gate. I was questioned by the local police and run off by the airport rent-a-cops. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but they sure didn't want to let the facts get in the way of their overreaching.

Are you talking about the fence area adjacent to the taxiway leading to the star of 36R, in other words, the OLD TERMINAL area?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:42 am

You can get decent shots of takeoffs from the overlook if 36L is in use. They're not quite as good as 18R shots, but they overlook is a heck of a lot better than anything at many airports the size of CLT. It's a very rare day that neither end of 18R-36L has any action.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more