Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Air2Air
Topic Author

Post Your Helicopter Images Here For Critique

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Saw another member here say it would be great for newbies here to get some feedback on their images to help them "learn".

So as a way to get that started here is a new thread where anyone who wants some feedback on their helicopter related images can post their image.

I say helos because thats where I have the most expertise, used to do all others but since I publish heli industry mags and have been shooting helos for the past 15 years I feel this is the best area for me to give feedback on. Anyway post away and lets get the ball rolling.

Cheers

Ned
New Zealand - Where Men Are Men And The Sheep Run Scared

IAH777

RE: Post Your Helicopter Images Here For Critique

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Okey dokey...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matt Barnette - IAH Spotters
View Large View Medium

MyAviation.net photo:

I really liked that wide-angle hangar shot, but the screener didn't share my enthusiasm.

eadster

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:13 pm

I have many in the database, here's some of my later ones added:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Eadie
View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Eadie

But my favourite one so far is this one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Martin Eadie

Hope you all like them

Martin

INNflight

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:00 pm

Thanks for that offer, Ned.

So far, I can only show you some I have online, will upload more to Myaviation later to link them here.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Trojer - TCAS
View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Trojer - TCAS

Cheers,
F.
Jet Visuals

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Ok, lets start with Matts ones. One thing I am going to say and that is I am going to critique them from a magazine publishers view point, not a screener from A.Net. The reason for this is that many photographers here have great talent behind the lens but you need to think differently if you are going to send images to magazines to publish.

Here goes.  Smile

Top Left. Nice shot but there is something lacking, maybe a pilot doing a preflight or an engineer doing a check over, something to add a third dimension to the image.

Top Right. Side on shots of a helo on the ground are probably the most boring out there to shoot, not being offensive to your image though. If I was shooting that image I would have maybe walked to the front 45% angle, laid down on the ground and shot up at the 300C giving more of a unique perspective.

Bottom: Nice shot and one I would use in the magazine as it gives a good overall view of the maintenance hangar. All I would add is that it would have been better to include someone working on the helicopters. You are trying to depict a maintenance facility and yet there is no one in the image anywhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets look at Martins.

Top Left: Good shot but cropped too close to the front of the helo. Not sure if you had much choice but you will find that the best angle for a helicopter is around the front 45% angle. Once you start getting back past the side on view it starts to lose its appeal. Maybe also slow the shutter speed down slightly and get a little bit more blur in the rotors. Being on the ground this would be no problem and you can comfortably hand hold your lens to around 60th of a second and get some great images.

Top Right: Love the color combination on this shot. If it was me I would probably have not cut off the end of the blades since the helicopter is stationary on the ground. However I would still use the image in the magazine if I wanted to illustrate a story about Rogers company, thats Rotorlift.

Bottom: This is the best one of your three, love the cropping and also the bright sun on the helo makes the colours stand out vividly. Only thing I would suggest with this is slow the shutter speed down and get more blade movement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florians Two images:

Left: Excellent shot, you may have shot it back past the side on perspective but it has started to peel away to the left which gives it that third dimension. Heat exhaust coming out looks great and image is nice and sharp. Blade movement is great, wouldnt use any faster shutter speed or you would spoil a great image.

Right: Another very nice shot, background is blurred which gives that feeling of speed. The helicopter is starting a bank so it adds that third dimension. Because the Huey has big chord blades it is hard to get movement in them, especially when at the same height as them, however this is counteractted by the tail rotor blades. You may have shot it back past the side on but you have shot it far enough back, back nearly to its 6 o'clock that you get a unique perspective that sets it apart from other images.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some nice images there. Hope the critiques help. The best thing to remember about critiques is that they are not putting your images down, or trying to find fault with them, its all about fine tuning those little things that can turn a nice image into a WOW image.

Keep up the great work.  Smile

Ned

ryangooner

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:48 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Hemmings
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Hemmings

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Hemmings
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Hemmings

thanks

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

jetav8r

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:18 pm

I've got about 30 helicopter shots on a.net, but this is the only one that's even decent by today's standards, although I have sold a few of the not so great ones to a few companies, go figure.

Dale Earnhardt is the one in the red cap looking at me, just in case any one was interested.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

I only had my 28-135 lens when I went out to see dad on this day, so I couldn't get quite as close up as I was hoping to with the cockpit, I'm pretty surprised it got accepted here.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alex McMahon

It's good to see you posting here again, any chance we'll get to see some more of your pictures?

Alex.

ua935

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Afternoon,

Two of mine:-

View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon F Gregory
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon F Gregory

Regards

Simon
Live every second like you mean it

Key

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:48 pm

Thanks Ned, an offer I can't resist. Of my 7 helos in the db I'm most curious about your feedback on these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erik Sleutelberg
View Large View Medium

Photo © Erik Sleutelberg

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erik Sleutelberg

I could compose at will for all three, so anything to improve is a real lesson!

Erik

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:20 am

Some more nice pics here so lets get on with the critique  Smile

Ryans pics.

Top Left: To be honest Ryan there is not really much I could fault with this one. You have the aircraft isolated from the background, heat exhaust very much visible, the human aspect with the pilots and its sharp. I would use this in the magazines with no problems.

Top Right: Another well composed shot, the only thing I would say here is use a little bit slower shutter speed. The problem with bigger helicopters is their blades move slower so you need to drop down the shutter speed that extra little bit so you can get more movement. The background both works in your favour and against as it isolates the helicopter but also can make it look bland. Always remember that when shooting against a sky backdrop.

Bottom Left: I would have probably done two things here, shot it from the other side with the sun on it and made sure that the second landing gear was visible as it seems to look like a one legged helicopter in your image. Grey helicopters can be a pain to shoot at the best of time and shooting from the darker side it seems to get a bit lost into the darker background.

Bottom Right: Nice shot of a static SeaKing but doesnt have that WOW factor. I would probably have kept the horizontal stab on the tail in the photo unless it was cut off for a specific reason. To get that extra oomph in the pic I would prob have laid down on the ground, at the same angle you have, and shot up at it with that lens and maybe even use a bit more of a wide angle. Nice colours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto Alex's shots.

Top: Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but to me its a nothing shot, and by that I mean there is no background, its side on and nothing there that stands out.

Bottom: This one on the other hand is good. Love the exhaust haze coming down and the composition looks great. The only negative thing about it is that being a blue helicopter it tends to blend in a little with the background but I would certainly use it in the magazine.

Now Simons shots.

Left: Great angle and great cropping. The only thing that lets this image down is that its shot into the sun slightly so you dont get the beautiful blue colour of the helicopter but you obviously had to make do with the sun where it was at.

Right: Love this shot. Like the cropping and even though I generally dont like many shot from behind the side on perspective this one looks great because of the colour contrasts of the blue fuselage and the red Swift logos. Had you shot this into the sun like your other image it wouldnt have the same impact.
I would suggest you dont crop so close to the skids as you have to remember that when a pic is run in a magazine or brochure they sometimes like to bleed them off the page and if there is not enough margin to do this then you may do yourself out of a sale.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally Eriks.

Top Left: Really like the colour combinations here with the flowers in the foreground, the colours of the helo and the background. Even the dark moody sky adds to the image. Glad you didnt crop the end of the main rotor blade off, including it in the image is good. The front 45 degree angle always makes helicopters look great.

Top Right: Very nice shot and even though the background is very busy the picture still works because of the colours of the helicopter. If this had been a different coloured helicopter it might not have worked as well. Only piece of advice I would offer on this one is always be aware of whats in the background as it can make or break a great photo. You may also want to slow the shutter speed down a stop or two to get a bit more blade movement.

Bottom Pic: Love this image. Great time exposure on this one but I would have left out the person in the image as unless he was standing still you were always going to have him out of focus. My eye goes first to the helicopter and then to the out of focus crewman and this detracts from the great job you did with capturing the helicopter itself. Sometimes you have to make a choice of what you actually want to show and thats the hard part.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers and hope the feedback helps.

Ned

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:23 am

As a suggestion lets keep it to two images per post so we can get through them a little easier. Thanks guys  Smile

Ned

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:26 am

Nispot - Can you like the images properly so they show up as for some reason the link comes up with an error when I click on it.

Ned

jfktowerfan
Editor

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:42 am

OK...I'll give it a go:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Corey Robinson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Corey Robinson

Corey
C'mon Man

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:45 am

Coreys Pics.

Left: Nice shot, shooting at night is difficult at the best of times. I would certainly use it in the magazine, with the only comment that I would move slightly to your right a little to get the face of the guy in the left seat as he has half his head cut off from the door frame. When shooting action images such as this try and capture the human interface part if you can. That changes it from being just a photo of a helicopter to an "action" shot of people at work.

Right: Nice angle and nice composition. Maybe cropped a bit too close to the nose but apart from that I like it. If you get the chance to shoot the 92 again maybe shoot from the same angle again but crouch down a little as when you look up at it then it looks a bit more imposing.  Smile

vzlet

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:47 am

Couple of scanned shots:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Carlisle

Thanks for the input, Ned.
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

A346Dude

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:51 am

I don't have too many helicopter photos, but here is my favourite:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dustin J. Wywrot

Not terribly exciting, but what do you think?

Thanks!

Dustin
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

Jan Mogren

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:57 am

Hi,
two of mine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren

/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:57 am

VZlet.

Left: Love the angle, love the paintscheme. Couple of things going against the image, obviously the weather was against you a little judging by the clouds  Smile I wouldnt have cropped off the tailrotor, especially as if an editor wanted to use it as a DPS. Always remember to give them a bit of bleed room around an image, the only opposite to that comment is unless you have cropped an image for a specific artistic reason. One other thing, drop your shutter speed down a little as there is hardly any movement in the blades. As a DPS its perfectly positioned, apart from the tailrotor.  Smile

Right: Great angle and all the colours in the image work well with each other. I would probably move slightly to you right to get rid of whatever it is sticking into the image from the right hand side. Plenty of room around the image and I like that. Great blade movement as well.

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:11 am

Dustins pic:

Great angle, great colours and great composition. You did well with this image. If I wanted to get really picky all I would come up with is to move slightly to your right to include the rear horizontal stabiliser. Apart from that keep up the great work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jans Pics.

Left: To be honest Jan I cant really find anything to fault about this image. It would make a great opening DPS for a story, plenty of room for titles and intro para. In any low level type shot its always a good idea to include some sort of ground reference as its gives it that third dimension. Again if I wanted to be really picky I would suggest not cropping off that blade that dissapears out of the frame on the right hand side, but thats all. Excellent blade movement.

Right: Nice composition, and nice blade movement and nice blurred background. The two negative things that jump out to me is that you have cut off the tailrotor. Everything else is well composed so I presume this is just somethng that happened. The other thing is the "dullness" of the overall image and thats probably because of either clouds or you were shooting slightly towards the sun, and also because I have seen the helos before and know how bright the dayglo orange actually is  Smile Obviosuly sometimes there is not much you can do about this but these are just things that stand out and it does so easily when you compare the image you have posted on the left.

Jan Mogren

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:22 am

Cheers Ned!
Actually, I'm having problems with the Puma in sunlight. The dayglow is SO reflective that If I want to get that correctly exposed the dark fuselage goes almost black.

/JM

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:33 am

Try bracketing your images and increasing it by half a stop each time. You would be surprised what you come up with.

Ned

Jan Mogren

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:35 am

For some strange reason it seems Nikons handle the dayglow better.(?)

/JM

9A-CRO
Editor

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:39 am

And here are mine:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tomislav Muic - CroSpotterTeam
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:40 am

Nikon - What a horrible word  Smile

I use two Canon EOS 1 DS MK IIs and love em.

Kukkudrill

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:48 am

Ned

Great thread. I wonder what your take would be on these two:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Polidano

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

Key

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Air2Air (Reply 9):
hope the feedback helps

You bet. You're showing us (me for sure) to look one step further. Thanks!

Erik

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:43 am

9A-CRO (next time just a couple of images at a time please)

Top Left: Nice pic but couple of things would need to be looked at if I was going to put it in the magazine. You have cropped off the end of the blade which messes up the composition of the image since the other blades are all there. I would also slow down the shutter speed a lot since you were standing on the ground and move yourself around slightly so you can see the faces of the people inside as they are both hidden.

Top Right: Better composition as all the blades are in frame. Again you need to slow down the shutter speed a stop or two as you should always try and get as much movement in the blades as you can. When standing on the ground there is no reason why you cant use 30th or 60th of a sec shutter speed to get that blade blur.

Next Left: Although I would never publish a shot like this in my magazines I will try and give some feedback on the image as I see it. I would prob move around to the right a little so that you obscure the piece of metal that looks like it is going into the helicopter on the left side of the frame.

Next Right: Not a bad image. I personally would have moved slightly to the left to obscure the house behind the cockpit as it becomes very noticeable. Maybe also slow the shutter speed down a little to get that blade movement. Remember that bigger helicopters need a slower shutter speed as their blades move slower.

3rd Row Left: Dont like this one at all. Your other one above was much better. This one is shot into the sun, there is no horizon to give it some depth, blades need to have more movement and you have hidden the people behind the panel and frames.

3rd Row Right: I like this shot of the cougar. The sunlight has allowed the camo paint scheme to still stand out from the background. Although I generally like blades to fit in the frame on a static helo this cropping actually works.

Bottom Left: Unfortunately this image is very very busy. There is a lot in the image that takes away from the helicopter itself. The orange smoke, the bus behind, the guy over on the left. Without knowing what else was around I would probably have walked around to the front and shot it from the same side but at a 45 degree angle looking back at it. Blade movement is good.

Bottom Right: I quite like this shot, it has the third dimension in there as its just about to start a gentle turn to the right. Has good blade movement as this is evident in the tail rotor. Cant see it that well on the main rotor blades as you are eye level with them but thats just physics. The slightly overcast day actually helps with the contrast between the helicopter and the background.

Charles Images.

Left: Nice angle of the 109, always looks good at this angle. Cropping of the blades seems to work here. Only thing I would probably do is move slightly to the left and get rid of the tree that looks as though it is growing out of the nose of the helicopter and maybe crouch down a little lower.

Right: First things I see when I look at this are no blade movement, cant see the face of the guy coming down the rope and the faces of the pilot and crewman are also obscured. I would probably move around to the right slightly so I could see the crewman operating the winch more. That gives you the human aspect to the image.

TomTurner

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:03 am

okay, here we go...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Turner

Thanks,
Tom

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 am

Tom - Amazing cross section of images so here goes  Smile

Top Left: Cool shot and great angle of the 135. Not sure what shutter speed you shot it at but might be able to get away with a stop or two lower. Apart from that and cropping out the tail of the 206 on the left and the yellow and black chequerboard on the bottom I think its a great shot.

Top Right: The boat in the background both works for an against the image. Because the majority of the helo is in the shade ie: the left side it gets a bit lost with the busy background. The heat exhaust looks great and will always show up against a water background. I personally would probably have waited a few seconds for the helicopter to come further around to the left of the frame and then you would have had a well lit side which would have set it apart from the background a bit more.

Bottom Left: I think you have nailed it with this image. Fantastic colours bought out by either the early morning or late afternoon sun. The exhaust haze is brillant and the blade movement is great. I would publish this anytime.

Bottom Right: This one has too many "annoyances" for me. The guy standing there taking the photo and the tails of the Blackhawks in the background. I would presume you were limited with where you could go but if you werent then I would have come right around to your left and had the two of them nearly lined up and put the Blackhawks out of the frame to the left. The other thing that bugs me about the image, and this is not your fault, is that out of all the people there not one of them is looking out towards your side, they are all looking towards the blackhawk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That shot of the DHL 206L is awesome. Everything has come together in the one image and its outstanding.  Smile  Smile

Ned

fallingeese

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:47 am

Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

tonyosborne

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:02 am

A recent chopper shot not on A.net, what d'ya think Ned?

MH-60 Knighthawk
Intentionally Left Blank

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 am

Will start with Fallingeese's two images.

First one: Very nice image, good blade movement and the contrast between the red 407 and the white mountains and dark sky give it some good differences. While side on or behind are not my favourite angles for most helicopters, the 407 has lines that make it look ok from this angle.

Second One: Whereas the 407 looks ok from the rear the R-44 unforutnately does not and thats shown in this image. In addition the background is also quite "dirty" so it doesnt help the colours of the 44 to stand out. The end of the forward blade also gets lost in the dirty background. First one worked and looked great but the second one didnt quite pan out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony - Your image looks great as an artistic image. Love the exhaust heat, shows the helo is in a hover, shooting into the sun like that creates some really nice gold coloured water and you seem to have captured it here. Also like the glistening off the main rotor blades. There is plenty of room for titles and intro paras. Having the ship in the image also lends some dimension to the image. Only thing I would say is maybe it could be a tad sharper around the edges, thats about all.

JAT74L

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Time to het the chopper out eh?

Here are my only 5....

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson
View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

9VSPO

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:02 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Meadows

Kereru

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:38 pm

Here is two of mine:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Hunter
View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Hunter

Thanks,

Colin
Good things take Time.

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:08 pm

Will have a look at Johns ones first so here goes.

Top Left: First off the most obvious thing is that the blades are rigid, way too fast a shutter speed. No background or anything else to add to the image. I would probably have waited for it to come down towards the ground more.

Top Right: Not a bad shot this one however I would have done one of two things, waited until the guy kneeling there moved or go around to the same side as they were at and shoot them working, adding that human dimension to the image. The weather seems a little overcast so it wouldnt really matter which side you shot from.

Middle Left: Not a bad shot of the Merlin, blades could do with a bit more movement. Anytime you shoot a helicopter with only blue sky as a background its going to be a bit lifeless.

Middle Right: Bit more of a unique angle of the Merlin and appeals to me a bit more for the uniqueness factor. Blades could do with more movement and without anything in the background is sort of a bland shot.

Bottom: Nice composition on this image. Good to see you havent cropped off any of the blades and lighting is also good. This is prob the best shot out of the five you have here.

Ians Image.

This is an awesome image, great dynamic angle, heat exhaust, cropped tight and with a real in your face attitude to it. The only minor thing I might have done would have been zoom out a fraction to get the top of the rear stabiliser in. Apart from that you have a great image.  Smile

Gary2880

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Air2Air
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:19 pm

Time to have a look at Colins two images  Smile

Left: Composition is good but wouldnt have cut off the top of the vertical stabiliser or the blade tips. You should make a commitment to either having it all in the frame or cropping tight, this one is sort of halfway in between. Again shooting from behind means you have to think about what is going on whereas if you were near the front end you could capture parts of the image that would give the viewer more information.

Right: Not a bad shot of Larry's BK. The problem with shooting a black helicopter against a blue background is you will hardly ever get any detail in the shadows as seen here. The reflection on the side of it looks good. Would either have cropped in tighter or kept the rest of the blades in the shot. As an artistic shot I like it and would use it.

Cheers

Ned

willo

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:05 pm

Here's a few of mine

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Scott
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Scott

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Scott

thanks,

Andrew

embraer145

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Ned.

Funny interesting thread.

Here are a couple of mine.

View Large View Medium

Photo © DAI - Dutch Aviation Images
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Thanks

Aart
DAI - Dutch Aviation Images.

Kukkudrill

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:40 am

Much obliged for the feedback! Good to have one's photos assessed from a non-a.net perspective.

Charles
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

OD720

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:38 pm

Don't have many, but here is one:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vatche Mitilian

Air2Air
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Ok time for the next batch.

Andrews Images.

Top Left: This is always a great angle to shoot the 109 Power at, however the tower in the background that looks like its sticking into the helicopters nose spoils it. Shutter speed could be dropped down a little to get more movement in the blades and judging by the shadows on it you have shot it around middayish. The age old rule of before 10am or after 2pm certainly applies with helicopters because of the large side surfaces.

Top Right: Nice shot of the R-44 but two things stand out on this one. You have shot it into the sun and the end of the blade has been cut off which is a shame as you have some good blade movement, using a slower shutter speed here has helped.

Bottom: Really nice composition and cropping on this one. Only issue I have is the blades look as though they are stopped. If you had used a nice slow shutter speed you would have a very good image. Helo stands out well against the green background.

Aarts Images.

Top Left: Great angle, great composition but the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the stationary blades. If you had shot this with around 60th of a second it would be an awesome shot.

Top Right: Great shot and well composed. If I wanted to be picky I would say slow the shutter speed down a bit. You are standing on a ground based object so there is no reason why you couldnt shoot a slower shutter speed. Dont know if it was possible but moving slightly to your right would have got rid of the aerial out of the left hand side. Having been on platforms before I know that you might have been stuck where you were.

Bottom Left: Nice shot, only thing I would do is crop down a little from the top and get rid of those concrete blocks in the image. Nice composition, nice colours and good blade movement.  Smile

Bottom Right: Well composed image and since things are always tight in a maintenance hangar you did well to get in what you did. The only thing missing from the image is that human element showing engineers working on the helicopter, especially since it is supposed to be undergoing maintenance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OD720's Image.

I like this shot, the green helicopter against a brown background needs the right lighting and this image has it. The only two negatives I see here are the lack of blade movement ie: slower shutter speed, and the light tower under the helicopter, this tends to drag the eye to it before looking at the helicopter. Apart from that, nice image.

Cheers

Ned

Stealthz

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi,
Here are a couple of mine,
http://www.pbase.com/chrisg/image/31361427
http://www.pbase.com/chrisg/image/54408266

I would love to get better at chopper photos, must make more opportunities to practice!!

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Gary2880

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

airportugal

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Great thread!

What about these:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Goncalves
View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Gonçalves

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Gonçalves
View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Gonçalves

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Gonçalves

Luis Goncalves

RuudOnline

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 pm

I have only one chopper photo on this site:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ruud de Vries

I like the next one, but because the front is a bit blurred I don't even think to upload the photo on a.net...

http://img159.echo.cx/img159/4879/dsc22412yr.jpg

pitchul

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 am

Great threat  Smile

I have a heli. pic. in the queue, if i can have a comment  Smile

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/SCN-20050501-049.JPG

Emmanuel

alexandru

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:07 am

Hello,