Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

D L X
Topic Author

Rejected For Contrast - Advice Requested

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Hello,

this shot was rejected for contrast. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix it?

Thanks,
Damon

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...C8407_Manassas_061506_DSC_3622.jpg

Stealthz

RE: Rejected For Contrast - Advice Requested

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:13 pm

Damon,

I would like to think that someone made a mistake.

That looks fine to me!
Having said that I am sure some may have an angle issue but I don't.

Chris

[Edited 2006-06-30 16:14:53]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

C133

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:21 pm

Okay, I'll offer my two cents worth. It seems a little dark overall. Without knowing what processing you used on the image, I'd suggest starting over and using the blackpoint and whitepoint eyedroppers to set the basic exposure, if you have them available. Maybe that would help. I like the shot though--good luck with it.
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

D L X
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 am

Thanks for the comments.

the angle problem i see is from zoom barrel distortion (which I was under the impression is fine here).

As for editing, I used my usual CS2 dendrobatid/Furgul-inspired workflow. It includes a whitepoint-blackpoint adjustment, but I felt this one was pretty well exposed from the start. I don't often get ramp access (municipal airports are fun!) so I had time to correctly set up the shot here.

So, what should I do?

aero145

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am

The photo is a little dark, and jagged.

There are jaggies under the wing, on the numbers "4" and "7".
And also there are jaggies on the fuselage. I know how the Ford Tri-Motor's fuselage is, there are lines, which are straight. On your photo, the jaggies are so very noticable.

-David

waketurbulence

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 4):
There are jaggies under the wing, on the numbers "4" and "7"

I guess if you wanted to hammer the wing into smooth metal you could, otherwise I don't think you can get rid of those jaggies.

With regards to contrast it looks like it could use a little fill flash, and then add some contrast. You don't want to make it too dark.
-Matt

globalpics

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:13 pm

No problems with jaggies here at all, I think it just needs a small touch of lightening up and this photo is good to go,nice one  Smile

NicolasRubio

Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:14 pm

I think this will be allright...

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6049/20060630nc8407manassas061506ds.jpg
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

Psych

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Hello Damon.

I would agree that the shot overall looks slightly dark, so that shadowed area is darker than it needs to be. A general increase here should do the trick on that score.

I also noted some slight softness, particularly in the cockpit/engine area. I think that might be worth a second look too. The barrel distortion is evident, but it looks equal on either side if that is any consolation.

All the best.

Paul

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:51 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 8):
A general increase here should do the trick on that score.

Thanks Paul, and everyone. I have to be honest, I thought the contrast was fine. So that means I don't know what proper contrast is. I doubt there's a "formula" for it, but how do you guys tell when you edit a pic if it's correct?

here's a re-edit. Again, I personally don't see it as being any "better" than the previous one, but it is lighter. What do you think?

dendrobatid

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 9):
I doubt there's a "formula" for it, but how do you guys tell when you edit a pic if it's correct?

The way I do it, to get it right is to ensure that the blacks are correct. The blackest black should be clear and well defined and any 'milkiness' a slight haze or tendency to that black being a very dark grey means that the contrast is too low.
If the contrast is too high then detail gets lost in the shadows, with the undercarriage usually being the first to suffer by being lost in the underwing with flying shots or being lost into the background on ground shots. Engine nacelles showing no detail, just a solid black is another sign.
At the other end of the (grey) scale too high contrast makes any highlights too bright and too low contrast leaves them muddy, a pale grey rather than white.
I use levels to get these balanced by eye.

Mick Bajcar