Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scottieprecord
Topic Author

Uploading At JPnet As Well?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:41 am

Hey guys. Just wondering how many of you upload to both Anet and JPnet?

I think I'm going to try uploading all of my rejected shots to JPnet... see if they'll take em. haha

-Mike in SAT

9VSPO

RE: Uploading At JPnet As Well?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:47 am

Big grin

airkas1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 1):

rotfl 

JeffM

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Thread starter):
I think I'm going to try uploading all of my rejected shots to JPnet... see if they'll take em. haha

Why bother?

But if you must, just make sure they at least have part of an airplane recognizable in them and they will be accepted.  rotfl 

scottieprecord
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:13 am

Haha. I take it the 3 of you don't...

See I don't know... I figure it's ok as long as I'm only uploading rejections. no?

-Mike

eksath
Crew

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 am

WATCHOUT...INCOMING STONE.....
World Wide Aerospace Photography

petertenthije

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:33 am

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9800/703image01ee9.jpg

MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

[Edited 2006-07-16 20:37:56]

[Edited 2006-07-16 20:40:21]
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

paulinbna

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):
But if you must, just make sure they at least have part of an airplane recognizable in them and they will be accepted

I can tell Jeff does not upload to jp.net because they have rejected pictures that I have had accepted here. Long gone are the days that they will accept anything.

I would not talk about some thing you know nothing about.  Smile
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

edoca

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting Paulinbna (Reply 7):
I can tell Jeff does not upload to jp.net because they have rejected pictures that I have had accepted here. Long gone are the days that they will accept anything.

Same thoughts here! I upload at both, it's often interesting to get double feedback or insights, and it's nice to have a forum at either site to post certain picks - some don't stand a chance at a.net and get on there, but also, indeed, vice versa. Especially for certain motives, that is good. That is not a criticism of either site, it is just a fact.

Kukkudrill

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:27 am

I upload to both. In general jp.net is easier, but yes there have been occasions when they rejected a shot which was accepted by a.net.
Make the most of the available light ... a lesson of photography that applies to life

INNflight

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:35 am

The white background of the site sucks... dark colors are a lot more comfortable.

Oh... and pop-upsss....  Embarrassment
Jet Visuals

NIKV69

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):
Why bother?

But if you must, just make sure they at least have part of an airplane recognizable in them and they will be accepted.

LMAO

Jeff we usually disagree but that is too funny and pretty accurate.

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 9):
I upload to both. In general jp.net is easier, but yes there have been occasions when they rejected a shot which was accepted by a.net.

I would like very much to see that picture.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

edoca

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 am

as stated:

Quoting Edoca (Reply 8):
some don't stand a chance at a.net and get on there, but also, indeed, vice versa

Quoting Kukkudrill (Reply 9):
yes there have been occasions when they rejected a shot which was accepted by a.net

So,

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 11):
I would like very much to see that picture.

Nik, just believe me. They may not be the most perfect pics, but these were accepted on a.net and not on the other site.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ward Callens
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ward Callens

edited for a typo

[Edited 2006-07-16 23:58:47]

ChrisH

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:09 am

Niks world just fell apart.
what seems to be the officer, problem?

LHRSIMON

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:10 am

I uploaded to JP in my early days to learn, as the standards are far less tough than A.Net. I foud it a good place to learn new methods on PS etc etc. And as said you don't end up with that 100% rejection rate you can get in your early days at A.Net.

I went to JP and kept testing until i was at least at 90% acceptence. Then started to download the best to A.Net. After a while with time (and knowing what your doing) i moved more to A.Net. I now dont download to JP at all. And have 500+ photo's and a very healthy acceptence Ratio on A.Net.

Simon C
 Smile
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

Interpaul

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:18 am

This one was rejected at jp because there wasn't enough plane in it. So they obiously DO reject shots.  Wink

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Szidat

Jan

CJA

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 3):

Why bother?

But if you must, just make sure they at least have part of an airplane recognizable in them and they will be accepted.

Strange remark from somone who used to spend a lot of time on the other site. Usually giving good advice but with your usual acerbic wit.

[Edited 2006-07-17 00:30:14]

NIKV69

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Edoca (Reply 12):
Nik, just believe me. They may not be the most perfect pics, but these were accepted on a.net and not on the other site.

Cabin shot is nice, why did JP reject it?

mhodgson

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 am

I tend to upload to both - JP has the advantage of fast queue times, while Anet gets more attention generally. I'll keep uploading to both for the forseeable future, too.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

atomother

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:55 am

Tell them to drop all their popups and annoying ads and I will consider it.

Till then I will go with the free site that has the least ads and that seems to be a.net.

edoca

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 17):
Cabin shot is nice, why did JP reject it?

Too dark. To some extent, I can agree with that but this version is more the way I wanted it to be.

I've had other shots rejected for dark here, and accepted there. I guess it just demonstrates the point that rejections and acceptances on both sites are based on different quality criteria.

One is not a better photograph because one's pictures get accepted here at a.net. At both sites, acceptance is the result of successfully following the rules, which are different between the two sites. Maybe people find more prestige in acceptances here rather than there, but blanket statements that the quality of pics there is low and here it's high, are just silly.

Ryan h

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:52 am

I upload to both.

Whatever photos I upload here are also uploaded to jetphotos. I usually have greater success there.

359 photos on jetphotos vs 68 on airliners.
South Australian Spotter

dc10tim

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:58 am

It would be interesting to know how many people in here do upload to JP. I know a few people who upload to both sites, but I personally don't have the time to upload much here, let alone two aviation sites.

Seriously now, is there a big gulf in quality between here and there? I understand the utilities their screeners have available are quite advanced. The one thing that really annoys me though, and I guess a lot of others is the amount of pop-ups.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Smalbany

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 am

I upload to both. Sometimes the same photo sometimes not. A lot of times I have multiple exposures of the same take off or landing sequence. I'll upload one of the sequence to anet and another of the sequence to jp. They'd get a bad double if I tried to upload both to both sites.

JP's Q is faster. I get about an 80% acceptance at jp and a 60% here. Sometimes I use the jp screening to pre-screen my shots in the Q here. If a shot gets rejected at jp I may re-evaluate it and decide to pull it from the Q here.

I also have had a couple of shots that were accepted here but rejected at jp. I chalk it up to the vagaries of the screening process at both sites.

Regards,
Dan

JeffM

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:02 am

I can tell Jeff does not upload to jp.net

I uploaded 350 + pictures, many straight out of my 2.11 mp C-700, some with my D100. All were accepted, I had 1 rejected out of all the uploads.

I asked to have them all removed, and they were luckily. I really didn't want any image I took associated with that place.

I don't think anyone that seriously wants to purchase an image goes there looking for anything of quality. For me, that place was, and still is a huge waste of time. Not surprisingly, that opinion is shared by many here.

I couldn't stand the pop-ups, and the annoying kiddies, some which post here and are even more obnoxious. I still post there, maybe once or twice a week under a different username. Mostly just to piss some little kiddie off.  rotfl 

I would not talk about some thing you know nothing about.

You would do well to heed your own advice.

eadster

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 21):
I usually have greater success there.

Me too but I have more shots here - More users here to expose photo's too. They just don't have the traffic over there, but I still upload shots that usually don't have the motiv for here - so basically creative shots.

Joge

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:46 am

I upload to both.

One reason is that my photos don't always seem to be good enough for this site, instead they are accepted to JP.net. Also, it doesn't take two weeks to wait for the screening...

-Joge
Bula!

Stealthz

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:49 am

Just wondering what the point of this thread is?

The responses are pretty predictable, I understand some folks don't like JP, some folks there don't hold A.net in real high regard either.

There are lots of folk that upload to both, some of this site's "star" photographers upload to JP, as do I beleive, some crew and former crew.

They have their criteria and A.net have theirs, what is the big deal why can't everyone just get along?

I guess the "haha" meant you were joking, if not considering JP as a repository for your a.net rejects is a recipe for failure.. why not just use MyAv as your "reject folder"?

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

scottieprecord
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 27):
considering JP as a repository for your a.net rejects is a recipe for failure.. why not just use MyAv as your "reject folder"?

How so? It's already been said on here that JPnet is open to more creative shots than Anet... And I feel like some of my rejects deserve more traffic than myav can offer.

As for the point of this thread... I was simply wondering how common uploading to both sites is. It now seems more common than I originally thought.

-Mike

Stealthz

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Fair call Mike,
I would agree that JP has different criteria and your creative shots may stand more of a chance there and get more exposure than MyAv.

I apologise if I appeared to group you with those that think JP is a photographic scrapyard.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Dehowie

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:44 pm

The ignorance of some is staggering to say the least.
JP(of which i was a screener but now flying aeroplanes takes prioirity)has a clear policy of more flexibility in motive and quality allowing some great pictures which would not and have not made it here.
Having a second place to display your stuff is beneficial to everyone as it shows the type of shots which dont make it here due to the higher quality and more subjective motive criteria.
I have now sold more stuff from JP than ANET for that exact reason.Not everone in the world is after a technically "perfect" photo but many after interesting angles and images many of which do not fit ANETs bill.
Just like anet JP had a low acceptance standard on start up.Just take a look at the first 250000 photos in the DB here for proof of that.It has now moved along to the point that the standard is far higher than some peoples limited and fading memories of what ANet was like in its start up years.
Both site have a place in the aviation photography community and the sooner people realise that the better off we ALL will be.
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

JeffM

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 30):
Both site have a place in the aviation photography community and the sooner people realise that the better off we ALL will be.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Why is that?

edoca

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 31):
rotfl rotfl rotfl

Why is that?

Great. That's your response to this thread?

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Why is that?

ever heard the term..don't put all your eggs in one basket. would you put all your money into one share fund or one company on the stock exchange? obviously plenty of aviation hobbyists think the same. I couldn't give a good fisting if people upload here, my av, jp or to the moon for that matter...not to sure why anyone else would either. by the way Jeff, this site has far more kids then the other one.

[Edited 2006-07-17 07:34:51]

[Edited 2006-07-17 07:37:01]

IL76

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't upload to JP... For a number of reasons:

- Pop-up ads
- White background does not look nice
- The high number of low quality shots in their DB (caused by the lower standards)
- Messy forum with subjects generally on a quite amateuristic/immature level (although A.net can certainly have its low moments too)

I'm from the Netherlands, so I generally check what has been added from the Netherlands. If I occasionally have a look at JP on The Netherlands and I just can't believe the amount of very boring, low quality and badly lit pictures I see. I don't want my pictures to mix with those. JP obviously targets a different group, and I don't indentify with that group. Simple.

E

Edit: typos

[Edited 2006-07-17 08:37:07]

Cathay111

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 pm

I upload to both for no reason in particular. I love planes, I love photography and being able to upload here, there or anywhere and share them with the world makes an enjoyable hobby that little bit more rewarding.......

JAT74L

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting Cathay111 (Reply 35):
I upload to both for no reason in particular. I love planes, I love photography and being able to upload here, there or anywhere and share them with the world makes an enjoyable hobby that little bit more rewarding.......

Couldn't have put it better myself. Well said.

John
I like trains just as much as planes but trains don't like the Atlantic!

DLKAPA

Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:38 pm

In case you guys haven't noticed, the number of daily uploads at jp.net match those at a.net. Still it makes you wonder why jp has a 2 day wait while photos wait 2 weeks here?

To all those calling jetphotos a "substandard" database for quality reasons I say bullshit. Jetphotos has just as many stunners as Airliners, there's really not much difference (except the standards seem to be more...standard).

Quoting ChrisH (Reply 13):
Niks world just fell apart.

yes 
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:02 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
Messy forum with subjects generally on a quite amateuristic/immature level (although A.net can certainly have its low moments too)

go look around the mountain of shit in these forums too....anyone care to count how many threads on QF service, best seat on a SQ 744...you want me to keep going? in a way, less is best! and don't you forget it..  Wink

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
I'm from the Netherlands, so I generally check what has been added from the Netherlands. If I occasionally have a look at JP on The Netherlands and I just can't believe the amount of very boring, low quality and badly lit pictures I see.

seen one AMS shot seen em all...looking at your shots is no different to looking at any other photographers from AMS....boring as batshit to be honest.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
don't want my pictures to mix with those. JP obviously targets a different group, and I don't indentify with that group. Simple.

what..so your shots are to good to mix with Sam Chui's, Art Brett's, Peter Unmuth and the many who upload to both? i could keep going on but i truly can't be stuffed. here is a hint...maybe you should try to identify why it is your in this hobby? is it elitism, aviation or some other reason? anyone would think your top of the crop and your shit stinks like Chanel 5...it doesn't and your not.

Wink

IL76

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 38):
Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
I'm from the Netherlands, so I generally check what has been added from the Netherlands. If I occasionally have a look at JP on The Netherlands and I just can't believe the amount of very boring, low quality and badly lit pictures I see.

seen one AMS shot seen em all...looking at your shots is no different to looking at any other photographers from AMS....boring as batshit to be honest.

Thanks. I really value your opinion.  yawn 

.maybe you should try to identify why it is your in this hobby? is it elitism, aviation or some other reason? anyone would think your top of the crop and your shit stinks like Chanel 5...it doesn't and your not.

Wow... You sure have a temper problem. Long toes? To each his own, Mounty. I have my opinion, I just gave it. Why do you feel the need to defend? I'm not even stepping on 'your turf' (=JP).

And no, I'm not top of the crop, that's for sure. I just want my pictures to be presented in what I think is the best possible way. I don't have my own website, so A.net is the next best thing for me. JP is not.
I'm sorry to see that you can't accept that.

QANTAS077

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 39):
Wow... You sure have a temper problem

really...have we met? i don't believe we have, but if i have a temper problem then you have a judgement problem. i'm just giving you my opinion on what you said...i'm not defending anything or anyone, i'm asking you a question, which you neglected to answer.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 39):
And no, I'm not top of the crop, that's for sure. I just want my pictures to be presented in what I think is the best possible way.

go drop them off at KLM and ask them to use your shots on advert billboards...that way they'll be seen in the best possible way.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 39):
I'm sorry to see that you can't accept that.

i do accept it..it's no skin off my nose Eddie but the arrogance in your previous post was to good not to take a crack at...

with that...i'm off to the gym to lay into the boxing bag, my temper is apparently to much for you to handle.

[Edited 2006-07-17 11:17:10]

Stealthz

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 39):
I have my opinion, I just gave it.

Fairly definitive opinion.....

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
(caused by the lower standards)

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):

With the exception of a couple of recent airshows that have produced some great images the average daily upload from the Netherlands can border on the ordinary and repetitive... at BOTH sites

Damn shame really, folks can't just get along!!!

Gary2880

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting Dehowie (Reply 30):

Why is that?

don't be stupid jeff! there has to be an emergency backup for when a.net crash's. Big grin

when it does i normally go and have a shoofty at what has been uploaded from Aberdeen, sometimes the specially chosen ones. but really i can only recall visiting jp when a.net has been down... and by the time i get rid of all the pop ups a.net can be back up!

i uploaded 1 photo to jp, and it was rejected. and i only did that one because i thought it might be appreciated. but hayho.

i'm fine having some photos on ere, then my vein attempts at being creative/other photos i like, on my PBase which im trying to develop more..
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

brianw999

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 pm

....and to think that I got my arse flamed in another thread here for mentioning JP.net !!

When I saw the start of this thread I thought....."Oh oh, here we go again."

Another one of those " mine's bigger than yours AND it pisses further up the wall than yours !" type arguments.

Seems I wasn't to be disappointed.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 33):
by the way Jeff, this site has far more kids then the other one.

What did you do take a poll?

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 37):
In case you guys haven't noticed, the number of daily uploads at jp.net match those at a.net. Still it makes you wonder why jp has a 2 day wait while photos wait 2 weeks here?

Wonder about what? Have you seen the DB on JP? The standards are lower and the scrutiny each pic is put under is much lower, it's not hard to figure out. This is why the queue goes so fast.

To all those calling jetphotos a "substandard" database for quality reasons I say bullshit. Jetphotos has just as many stunners as Airliners, there's really not much difference (except the standards seem to be more...standard

Your right JP has the same amount of stunners, but if you take the DB as a whole there are many pics that are lower in quality. If you looked at the most popular shots of the day and week you will see awesome photos. If you do a search in the DB however you will see some low quality shots.

go look around the mountain of shit in these forums too....anyone care to count how many threads on QF service, best seat on a SQ 744...you want me to keep going? in a way, less is best! and don't you forget it..

Monty you conviently left out the fact that the forums here have many times the traffic and users JP does. Also the number of new members each day is huge here. That is why you get redundancy in the threads. Nobody really searches a topic before posting. Sure this site's forums have it's share of kids (both young and old) and run-on posts but it is a hell of a lot more interesting to post in than JP.

seen one AMS shot seen em all...looking at your shots is no different to looking at any other photographers from AMS....boring as batshit to be honest

Interesting statement considering Eduards avg views double yours. I had a look at some shots at AMS. They are not too boring to me.

what..so your shots are to good to mix with Sam Chui's, Art Brett's, Peter Unmuth and the many who upload to both? i could keep going on but i truly can't be stuffed. here is a hint...maybe you should try to identify why it is your in this hobby? is it elitism, aviation or some other reason? anyone would think your top of the crop and your shit stinks like Chanel 5...it doesn't and your not.

Monty you are out of context again, we all know Art and Sam are tops in the field but how much of thier work makes up the JP DB? They have 6 thousand pics compared to the whole DB is a small percentage. I don't think it's eliteism (which trust me you should not be talking about) It's the DB in general I think he is talking about.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 40):
i'm not defending anything or anyone

Yes you are Monty, we all know you are a screener at JP, it's fine.

JeffM

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:43 pm

ever heard the term..don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Of course. But I don't shoot eggs.  Wink

by the way Jeff, this site has far more kids then the other one.

Really? From the posts I've read over there, I would have bet money otherwise. And statistically an equally greater number of members probably, so I would imagine a smaller percentage overall here. Or, maybe they are just not as vocal?

Still it makes you wonder why jp has a 2 day wait while photos wait 2 weeks here?

Not really.

your shots are to good to mix with Sam Chui's, Art Brett's, Peter Unmuth and the many who upload to both?

It's not them, are they tradmark photographers over there?...I've met Sam and Art, nice guys, but not photo GODs, none here either. Are you saying the site is somehow better because they upload there? How hard is it to snap a photo of an airliner? Not really hard at all. I don't see the relevance of that remark.Sure, there are some nice photos...but on the whole, there is a difference. And the experience over there with those childish popups for one thing.... SUCKS!

Posting childish images like the 'special olympics' image above is a great example of the 'quality' you see at Brand X in my opinion.

It's no big deal really, you either like it or you don't. No need for anyone to get their panties in a wad is there?

D L X

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
The high number of low quality shots in their DB (caused by the lower standards)

You know, there are a lot of low quality shots in A.net also from the "good old days" where you guys took almost everything. If you're going to complain about the quality at other sites, but not do anything to reconsider the value of old shots in here, the argument that people come here for high quality shots but not elsewhere is seriously undermined.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
Messy forum with subjects generally on a quite amateuristic/immature level (although A.net can certainly have its low moments too)

Yeah, I don't touch the forum over there. I HATE avatars. I just want the text.

Quoting IL76 (Reply 34):
Pop-up ads

Ahh you see, but I got this TOTAL Ad blocker. I see no ads on the internet. JP's popups were so bad that they were actually crashing my computer... but no longer.

linco22

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting JeffM (Reply 45):
Posting childish images like the 'special olympics' image above is a great example of the 'quality' you see at Brand X in my opinion.

There really was no need for that.

As regards the 'debate', does it matter?

Regards
Colin

[email protected]

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 44):
It's the DB in general I think he is talking about.

How did you figure that out. Have you done a poll?  sarcastic 

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 44):
and the scrutiny each pic is put under is much lower,

Makes me wonder from where you know that. You haven't been a screener on this site here. Don't know about jp tough.

Quoting JeffM (Reply 45):

Such a long response. Is that really you Jeff ???? You must be really interested in that topic  rotfl   rotfl 
-

NIKV69

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 48):
How did you figure that out. Have you done a poll?

No, just read this words carefully, it's not hard to figure out unless you have a huge bias toward JP. Which Monty does.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 48):
Makes me wonder from where you know that.

Very simple. go look at the JP DB.