Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bezoar
Topic Author

Camera NOT Allowed As Carry-on

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:09 am

Just a heads up:

My son, an avid aviation photographer, is flying today from Jacksonville, FL to Anchorage, Alaska. He was required to check his camera bag (not allowed as carry-on) containing lots of equipment. He was allowed to keep his laptop.

So, be prepared to part with your camera if you have to fly commercially right now.

[Edited 2006-08-11 00:29:32]
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

ElpinDAB

RE: Camera Bag Checked

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:18 am

Eww! That's awful! I'm flying MCO to LIT in about 5 days. Hopefully it will have calmed down a bit by then. Does anyone know what they're allowing and not allowing for carry-on's now? I don't want to have to check my camera.

maiznblu_757

RE: Camera NOT Allowed As Carry-on

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:34 am

Looks like my next trip east, Ill be on 4 wheels doing a lot of sightseeing enroute.  Wink

airkas1

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:34 am

Is this also the case in Europe or only in the Americas?

I'm flying to PRG in 2 weeks and I want to keep my camera as carry-on

maiznblu_757

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 am

Its only in the US and only cameras with Liquid Crystal Display are affected. Film cameras will make a comeback due to this.  Wink

bezoar
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:43 am

Apparently, the terrorist plans called for triggering their bombs with a small battery.

I heard one report today that anything with a battery may be disallowed as carry-on at some point in the near future, including computers, cell phones, watches, iPods, etc. I wonder if they would include hearing aids and pacemakers.

However, I think finding/generating enough electricity on a plane is probably not a great obstacle to someone who is industrious enough.

[Edited 2006-08-11 00:43:54]

norfolkjohn

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am

At this moment in the UK almost all carry on items have been banned. Only items presently allowed in the cabin are Travel Documents, Wallet / Purse, Glasses / Contact Lenses (without cases), Prescription Medication, Keys (but no electronic fobs). These items also have to be put in clear plastic bags. This is by decree of the UK government and affects ALL commercial flights departing ALL British airports.

It is not known how long this level of restriction will prevail. It could change tomorrow or it could be like this for weeks. The probability seems to be some form of continuing restriction especially on fluids in bottles (drinks) and all forms of electronic devices including mobile phones and cameras.
One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.

Cathay111

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:16 am

The TSA website has the following which would suggest that any electronic device (including all cameras) are permitted onboard flights within the US.

Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true.

No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items.

TransIsland

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Cathay111 (Reply 7):

You beat me to it. This page was updated Aug 10, 2006, 12:58 pm - though it doesn't say which timezone.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

eadster

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:28 pm

I know that with the way the world is currently, what has to be done, has to be done.

I hate the thought of my camera being loaded in with other heavy suitcases and being thrown around by baggage handlers. Even if security took a bit longer to go through my camera bag, I wouldn't mind, as long as it mean't that it could be with me, safe in an overhead locker instead of having 2 tonns on top of it in the baggage compartment.

FlightShadow

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

I talked with a TSA guy in SLC about 5 hours ago. He said that liquids and gels are the only things banned - the TSA has not (officially) banned anything else. He said as long as you pack your liquids/gels in checked baggage, you'll be just fine.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

avroarrow

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Only a matter of time before we'll all have to be naked, sedated and handcuffed before boarding. The sad part is that I'm only half kidding.
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

D L X

Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting AvroArrow (Reply 11):
Only a matter of time before we'll all have to be naked, sedated and handcuffed before boarding.

I'm cool with the naked and the handcuffed. But not the sedated. And definitely not without my camera.

I know it's a heavy subject - just trying to lighten the mood.

Ryan h

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:49 pm

I hope such a rule does not come in here in Australia, as I will not be parting with my camera and I will fly in the cargo hold if required as I am slightly suspicious of some baggage handlers, who over the years tampered with people baggage.
South Australian Spotter

alaskaqantas

Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Quoting Bezoar (Thread starter):
to Anchorage, Alaska

I am flying out of ANC on the 15th to go to MSP then back again on the 20th. I hope that hey haven't banned laptops/dvd players/cameras. that is what will get me through the flight, ok I guess I couild live with just a book, but still I got a brand new camera and I would like to try it out!!!

Anyways, I just watched World Trade Center about an hour ago... I can only say that there better not be a sequal to that about a flight from the UK.  Sad
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

bezoar
Topic Author

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:42 pm

I haven't heard yet from my son to know how his trip went and how his equipment fared with the suitcases, handlers, conveyors, etc. With a 20D and some L lenses, it could have been disastrous.

Perhaps the ban on having camera equipment as carry-on yesterday morning was just an 'over-reaction' before TSA sorted it all out and published their guidance. I'm sure there are many considerations before deciding how to respond in what seems to be the most appropriate way, and getting that guidance to the folks who most need to know.

LHRSIMON

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Just to make this worse the UK press have now written that the chemical devises could have been set off by the use of car key fobs , MP3 player or the FLASH FROM A CAMERA !!!!!!

I am sure that without doubt all camera's will be banned from carry on luggage ex the UK for the forseable future !!!!  

Enjoy those inflight photo's as i feel they are now going to be a thing of the past !!!!!  

[Edited 2006-08-11 14:16:14]
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

lnglive1011yyz

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting LHRSIMON (Reply 16):
Just to make this worse the UK press have now written that the chemical devises could have been set off by the use of car key fobs , MP3 player or the FLASH FROM A CAMERA !!!!!!

I am sure that without doubt all camera's will be banned from carry on luggage ex the UK for the forseable future !!!!

Enjoy those inflight photo's as i feel they are now going to be a thing of the past !!!!!

I just cannot see that.

The airline industry thrives on travellers travelling to see family, and exotic places (as well as business travellers, needing their laptops, etc)

If they ban taking cameras, you're going to see a dramatic reduction in non-NECESSARY travel.

If anything, they'll force us to check our electronics.

Going forward, Airlines will have to offer some kind of insurance to people for their electronics, because we all know that things tend to go missing..

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

LHRSIMON

Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 pm

Im not saying they will ban cameras on aircraft altogether. Im saying they will not let cameras in the cabin as hand luggage. You will be forced to pack them in your hold luggage  Smile

Airlines also already offer insurance , but its a pitifull amount. What will be intersting is if your normal holiday/travel insurance will now cover high value electricals as hold luggage....
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

jwenting

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 9):
I know that with the way the world is currently, what has to be done, has to be done.

Which means that the terrorists have won. We will have submitted to them in order to prevent them from hurting us, or if not that will have destroyed our society in order to prevent them from destroying it (which is their ultimate goal).

Quoting Bezoar (Reply 15):
I haven't heard yet from my son to know how his trip went and how his equipment fared with the suitcases, handlers, conveyors, etc. With a 20D and some L lenses, it could have been disastrous.

If there was a sharpeyed airport worker your son's camera would never have had an opportunity to get damaged.
It will have been appopriated and carried off in someone's car to be sold.

Expect a near 100% rate of loss of cameras, jewelry, and laptops from checked luggage, especially with "security policies" requiring all checked luggage to be unlocked.
I wish I were flying

TS

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Bezoar (Reply 5):
I wonder if they would include hearing aids and pacemakers.

"Due to increased security measures pacemakers need to be checked in."  Wink
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

aeroweanie

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting AvroArrow (Reply 11):
Only a matter of time before we'll all have to be naked, sedated and handcuffed before boarding.

Sounds like being on a CIA "rendition" flight to Guantanamo Bay.

jamesbuk

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 17):
you're going to see a dramatic reduction in non-NECESSARY travel.

Seriously yeh you wouldnt go on holiday if you couldnt have you camera, get a grip. The fact is its so close at the minute to when the caught the bombers, everyone over here is a little nervous about what could happen especially with all the media crap about saying there's most likely going to be an attack one wednesday (BBC news, early afternoon was when they said it)

Camera's will almost definitely be allowed back on board sooner or later, maybe not tomorow or next week but maybe in say 2 months (only a guess) just wait untill things calm down first and then all the airport security groups will decide whats allowed and whats not allowed (although i dont see drinks and other liquads making a comeback)

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Ryan h

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:10 am

Personally I think in the UK you will be allowed to bring the camera onboard later on once all the crap has died down, otherwise there will most likely be a rise in insurance claims and stories about rogue baggage handlers spreading like a bushfire.
South Australian Spotter

United_fan

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 am

Yeah,I'm going to check my $900 laptop and my $2700 worth for Canon in my unlocked suitcase. I've seen what happens to suitcases,not pretty.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

gdewey

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:59 pm

I flew BWI-LAX today with my camera and had no problem with security, I guess it's just individual screeners.
Canon 10D, Canon 70-200 f/4, Canon 28-105mm USM

jwenting

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 22):
Seriously yeh you wouldnt go on holiday if you couldnt have you camera, get a grip

indeed I won't travel if I can't take my camera. Either that or find other means of transportation where I can take it.

And I won't leave it to the tender mercy of a luggage handler who'll either steal it or smash it to bits (whether deliberately or through carelessness).
I wish I were flying

chrisair

Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:13 pm

Get a Pelican case and get a lightware case to put inside it if you are that worried about traveling with gear and having it checked.

They're pretty expensive, but well worth it. Great bags...and the Pelican cases float.

gocaps16

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:09 pm

Quoting Gdewey (Reply 25):
I flew BWI-LAX today with my camera and had no problem with security, I guess it's just individual screeners.

Thanks for the update, Greg. I'm not too worried about domestic flights as it's just liquid and gel being banned. I'm a bit worried when I fly from MAN-JFK and LHR-IAD in 3 weeks with my laptop and camera. Hopefully things in london will calm down and will allow non-plastic carry on bags.

Kevin

jwenting

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 27):
Get a Pelican case and get a lightware case to put inside it if you are that worried about traveling with gear and having it checked.

which will do exactly zero to prevent theft.
The guys stealing luggage have powerful X-ray scanners at their disposal and will know exactly what's in that case.
I wish I were flying

chrisair

Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 29):
The guys stealing luggage have powerful X-ray scanners at their disposal and will know exactly what's in that case.

Possibly....but if you're flying and they say no to cameras...what are your options? Argue, check, go home, or go to a different airport.

You can always request a hand screening. Most airports have this capability somewhere and they'll do it right in front of you. Just explain why you want it hand screened, and make sure your bag is marked as "screened."

Also...make sure your stuff is insured...and insured very well. What happens if someone steals your car and your gear is in it?

jwenting

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:07 pm

no, it means I won't fly until these restrictions are lifted. Clear and simple, I will not leave my camerabag to the tender mercy of airport workers so if airlines won't allow me (for whatever reason) to take it with me in the cabin they don't get me as a customer.

I'm quite used to having it handchecked already, for some reason a 500mm tele seems to look like a shoulderfired missile or something on an X-ray scanner and a monopod like a club.

If these restrictions do remain in place I see the long range passenger ferries make a return to transport people across the oceans.
Might take longer, but it's a lot more comfortable.
I wish I were flying

bezoar
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:29 am

In case some you are hanging on the suspense, I just got word that my son made it to ANC ok, as did his camera equipment. (One can hear the sounds of many hands clapping.)

Now if they can only find the rest of his luggage, which contains his cell phone charger, all will be fine.

TACAA320

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting GOCAPS16 (Reply 28):
I'm a bit worried when I fly from MAN-JFK and LHR-IAD in 3 weeks with my laptop and camera. Hopefully things in london will calm down and will allow non-plastic carry on bags.

https://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2932436/
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

jwenting

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting Bezoar (Reply 32):
Now if they can only find the rest of his luggage, which contains his cell phone charger, all will be fine.

hmm, poor communications causing someone to steal the wrong bag. Bummer!
I wish I were flying

TACAA320

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:12 pm

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

JeffM

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 19):
Expect a near 100% rate of loss of cameras, jewelry, and laptops from checked luggage

rotfl 
rotfl 
 rotfl 

Get serious.

jderden777

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Yep, that was an unfortunate experience. I was actually going out of Orlando (MCO). As I was checking one bag (my suitcase), I was told that I would have to check my backpack as well. I said that I hadn't heard of any regulation against carry on items but was told that I could take my laptop (which I had out, but in its case). I also said that I had some sensitive and fragile camera equipment and that I would prefer to carry it on if I could. Again I was told no and very reluctantly I took my 2 checked bags over to the TSA drop point.

So then things really went south in a hurry. The one and only Delta flight to ANC that day ended up being cancelled. I ended up going on a flight to SEA that was delayed from about 930 until midnight and got there about 330am and then caught a 6am flight up to ANC on Alaska. The bags were nowhere to be found. AS baggage service up here (wonderful people by the way) filed some claims and then the bags started showing up, one by one. My camera bag finally came in on Saturday morning to the hotel, and my suitcase finally made it this morning (Sunday), only a few minutes before I was checking out of the hotel.

Anyway, to make a pretty long story short, I think the carryon restriction was a one time deal and I think a lot of it had to do with some miscommunication between the airlines and the TSA as far as what was allowed and what wasn't. Maybe also to do with the number of people going through security and that the TSA wanted to try and limit the number of items they'd have to screen so as to facilitate a better flow of pax through security. Either way, I was biting my nails there for a while about what condition my camera equipment was going to be in, but it all turned out alright. No other issues to speak of, and I just passed through security up in ANC and there was no way in hell they were going to make me check my camera bag this time  Smile

jd
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

aaflt1871

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting Chrisair (Reply 27):
Great bags...and the Pelican cases float

They float? Thats great, but if the plane is ditching in the water, chances are you will sink to the bottom with the aircraft.  sarcastic  A floating camera bag is not a strong selling point to me. Sorry.
Where did everybody go?

jon01

Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:03 pm

The restrictions on carry on bags has been lifted, cameras and laptops will be x-rayed separately.

Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick prefer minimal carry on baggage for the time being though.

Jon

dc10tim

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:28 pm

Yes, the panic regarding not being able to take cameras aboard has passed for the time being.

I really wouldn't have felt comfortable having to check my gear into the hold. I've had two suitcases ruined in the last 3 years by careless baggage handlers and my parents had their belongings scattered over the apron at ALC last year. Not good if you've a lot of valuable equipment in there.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this in the long term.

Regards,

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

trvyyz

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:05 pm

How about taking the camera as carry-on and putting the battery in the checked-in luggage? Does that make any sense?

Shep

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:24 pm

I hear they are working on a way to separate your soul from your body. Before boarding for flight, they will place your soul into a little container, and insert into GW's ass, for safe keeping while you are in flight. Upon arrival to your destination, you will be crapped out, inserted back into your body, and you will be free to go on with the rest of your life... BUT - if you are a terrorist - or a little old woman who likes to carry a tube of lipstick onboard an aircraft - You will not reclaim your soul upon arriving at your destination. You will remain in GW's ass for all of eternity...

Granite

Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi all

Seems the hand baggage allowance has been altered. Maximum size now reduced.

Anyone know offhand if the Minitrekker will now be too big? Looks as if it will be so will need to re-think new camera bag as I feel this new size restriction is here to stay.

Regards

Gary

[Edited 2006-08-14 13:32:40]

ua935

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Mini Trekker is 12W x 12.5D x 16H in. 30.5 x 32 x 40.5 cm

Micro Trekker 200 is 11W x 8.5D x 14H in. / 28 x 21.5 x 35.5 cm

As I understand it new restrictions are a maximum length of 45 cm, width of 35 cm and depth of 16 cm

So I am knackered with both of my bags, 16cm depth is what does it.

Simon
Live every second like you mean it

ua935

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Specs above were taken from the lowepro website.

I have just measured my Micro Trekker 200 and it comes in at about 16.5 deep so might just get away with it.

Mini Trekker is about 18 cm deep with all my kit in.

Simon
Live every second like you mean it

chrisair

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 38):
They float? Thats great, but if the plane is ditching in the water, chances are you will sink to the bottom with the aircraft.

If you're ditching in water, I'd be far more worried about other things...my camera gear would be one of my last concerns.

As an aside, I have put my case in a swimming pool just to see if it did infact float. It did. Now, would I do that fully loaded with camera gear? Hell no.

YYZflyer

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 42):
How about taking the camera as carry-on and putting the battery in the checked-in luggage? Does that make any sense?

The thing is, would you be able to convince them to allow you to do that? And if we could do that, say good bye to anymore inflight photos into the a.net database. But I guess that's something I'd be willing to do to protect camera equipment. Hopefully cameras won't be banned though.  Smile
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

SFO2SVO

Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:27 am

I flew Frontier AUS-DEN-SJC on Friday, Aug 11th. No problems. All security lines were open in AUS so the line was only 4 ppl. They did check for liquids and scanned my cell phone for traces of explosives. There was also random secondary checks at the gate. On my flight they checked lady with the stroller and some guy with backpack. I brought laptop and camera bag (including 100-400 lens) as carry on and even took some pics of Frontier winglets.
In Denver there was no secondary screening.

Two things I noticed:
- I have never seen baggage claim area in SJC so full.
- Price tags for water and Red Bull in the store right after security in AUS were changed (sticker over the old price). I wonder if it went up or down...  Smile
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

joffie

Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting Ryan h (Reply 13):
hope such a rule does not come in here in Australia

Oh dear god. Not yet hopefully. I am due to fly tomorrow on 3 domestic legs and want to take my 300D (Borrowed it) and do a A.net trip report!!!