Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dacman
Topic Author

Done Uploading!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:42 am

Greetings All,

Due to the ever declining bad and inconsistent screening on this website I will discontinue uploading photos. I have been uploading since 1999 and have always enjoyed this site and have made numerous friends over the years due to A.Net.

I find my time is to valuable and uploading good photos (that have appeared in magazines) only to have them rejected for various inconsistant reasons ludicrous.

I will not resort to having my photos removed as many others have, but as I stated above will not upload any further photos.

Take care and see you at the airport.

Michael Carter
Dacman
LAX/LGB Local
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

9VSPO

RE: Done Uploading!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:48 am

Michael,

Don't get upset. Everyone goes through the same thing - you are not alone. Upload the rejections and let us have a look.  Smile

clickhappy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:59 am

As a long time contributor and ex-Crew member, I certainly think Mike has earned the right to this type of thread.

Mike, please reconsider. Your photos are a valuable part of this database and I know many would be sad to see you stop uploading.

Royal

Halcyon

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 3):
As a long time contributor and ex-Crew member, I certainly think Mike has earned the right to this type of thread.

Mike, please reconsider. Your photos are a valuable part of this database and I know many would be sad to see you stop uploading.

I agree. Please do reconsider. Remember that, despite the ones perhaps unfairly killed off, the rest of the pics are a treasure to all the common people like me.

Clickhappy From United States, joined exactly 5 years ago today! , 6376 posts

Happy B-day Clickhappy!  Smile

Lucas

maiznblu_757

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:24 am

checkmark 

Mike,

Im living under the approach path to 30 @ LGB and am still waiting on your email to set up a time to meet up and shoot at the airport.  Smile

norfolkjohn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:34 am

In the past I would have said that no one should throw in the towel but I have to agree 100% with the original post in this thread. I am feeling very much the same way at present and not just because of rejections I have had but due to inconsistances that are highlighted on an almost daily basis in this Forum. Just for the record my present acceptance ratio is 94% so believe me my feelings go a lot further than my own rejections.

I have over 1400 shots in the DB but right now I'm not at all sure there will be any more. I have pulled the 27 that were in the screening queue and will be seriously considering whether I want to go on using this site in the future.

There will no doubt be plenty of people saying not to take things so seriously but I'm afraid I too have just got tired of the inconsistencies around here and an apparent unwillingness to admit that this is a significant problem.

Michael we don't know each other but I certainly know where you are coming from.

John A
One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.

waketurbulence

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:36 am

Sorry to hear it Mike. Always enjoyed looking thru your stuff. You are not alone however, I have heard many many people talk the same as what you have done. Hopefully I'll run into you at LAX, LBG or SNA soon. Take care.
-Matt

Psych

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:30 am

This is very bad news - two big players in the A.net photographer world feeling like this. Too many people are talking in these terms these days.

I, for one, can only hope that there are conversations going on behind the scenes to make proper sense of the complaints that people are raising. The danger is that this kind of thing degenerates into tit for tat exchanges, rather than a proper understanding of why things are the way they are, and why people experience things as they do.

It's all about communication ............. let's have some.

I would argue strongly for a level-headed - and well moderated - debate about the current state of affairs with respect to site standards, so that different points can be understood and responses can be made. If it is going over old ground - so be it.

Take good care.

Paul

lasham

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting Dacman (Thread starter):
I will not resort to having my photos removed as many others have

Hi Micheal

A small ray of hope that we still have your shots.

I find my time is to valuable and uploading good photos (that have appeared in magazines) only to have them rejected for various inconsistant reasons ludicrous.

Not sure what to say about this but as I have just had one of my photos rejected for soft, I know what its like to spend time at the airport then on the PC only for it to be rejected for a marginal reason.

Put your feet up for a bit and see how it goes, but I hope you come back soon.

Tony
No sun no fun

MONGORAT

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:36 am

Michael,

Sorry to see you go also; I've enjoyed your photos over the years, especially the LAX ones, they are some of the best this website has to offer. Good luck in your future endeavors.

-Matt L

Quoting Psych (Reply 7):
, for one, can only hope that there are conversations going on behind the scenes to make proper sense of the complaints that people are raising. The danger is that this kind of thing degenerates into tit for tat exchanges, rather than a proper understanding of why things are the way they are, and why people experience things as they do.

Quoting WakeTurbulence (Reply 6):
Always enjoyed looking thru your stuff. You are not alone however, I have heard many many people talk the same as what you have done.

dacman
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 am

Thanks for the replies, even have received a few phone calls.

My decision though is final!

This was not a knee-jerk reaction to a rejection, but one I have been considering for sometime.

This site used to be alot of fun but it has unfortunately turned into a site with a business mindset rather than an airliner/aviation enthusiast mindset.

It used to be fun uploading new photos and sharing them with old friends and new friends alike around the world but that is not the case anymore.

I will still use A.Net as a reference site and check the forums from time to time but that is about it.

Again thanks for the replies and phone calls.

Good luck and Good Shooting
Michael Carter
LAX/LGB Local

norfolkjohn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Dacman (Reply 10):
This site used to be alot of fun but it has unfortunately turned into a site with a business mindset rather than an airliner/aviation enthusiast mindset.

checkmark  Agree 100%

JA

lasham

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:55 am

Needs to be more fun.

Tony
No sun no fun

ThierryD

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:02 am

This site ... has unfortunately turned into a site with a business mindset rather than an airliner/aviation enthusiast mindset.

checkmark 
I regret that evolution too and have stated it many times and many, many months ago already but apparently the major players of this site don't see it or wanna make us believe it is not the case though it becomes ever more apparent (e.g.: recent acceptance of a certain accident shot which was so bad in terms of quality, motive, distance, blurry, ethics,...) that the only reason I find plausible for the shot to be accepted is making money with the news.
I might be wrong but til now no one has yet convinced me of the contrary.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Airplanepics

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:04 am

Totally agree with you, hence why a lot of photographers have stopped uploading to this site.

There isn't any fun in uploading your photos, and then getting them rejected for stupid and petty reasons.

I agree, you must have standards - but there must be a limit to how high that acceptance bar is raised?

Unless something changes around here, more and more photographers could consider leaving, I for one have literally stopped uploading.

Best Regards,

Simon Nicholls
Simon - London-Aviation.com

maiznblu_757

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 13):
many months ago already but apparently the major players of this site don't see it or wanna make us

I was always under the impression that the photographers were the major player on the site. I might be wrong.

norfolkjohn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 14):
I agree, you must have standards - but there must be a limit to how high that acceptance bar is raised?

I quite agree but it would also be good if the existing rules and standards were applied equally to everyone.

JA

9VSPO

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:17 am

Unless something changes around here, more and more photographers could consider leaving, I for one have literally stopped uploading.

Why? To be honest I have sold a good few pics from this site but that's not the reason I upload. I upload because I know I'm amongst the best. Or am I wrong?  Confused

ThierryD

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 15):
I was always under the impression that the photographers were the major player on the site. I might be wrong.

WERE (past form of "is") could be the key word in your sentence Chad!  Sad

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Airplanepics

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:21 am

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 16):
I quite agree but it would also be good if the existing rules and standards were applied equally to everyone.

Exactly!
Just out of interest, anyone know why this was given priority screening on September 11th?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Pries - ATR Team

A photo of JFK airport? Why does that warrant a priority screening? You can barely make out the NY skyline! Nice picture though.

Also, just seen this thread; Bad Motive Or Centered (by Bottie Sep 14 2006 in Aviation Photography)

Again, nice photo - but makes me wonder, if I or yourself John uploaded the same shot, would it of been accepted?

Airplanepics

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 17):

Why? To be honest I have sold a good few pics from this site but that's not the reason I upload. I upload because I know I'm amongst the best. Or am I wrong?

Yes fair enough, but surely people like Mr Carter should be able to get photographs accepted without getting petty rejections? especially since he was a screener just a few months back. Surely rules can't chance that much in such a short space of time, he knows the rules!

9VSPO

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 20):
surely people like Mr Carter should be able to get photographs accepted without getting petty rejections? especially since he was a screener just a few months back

I guess so...  Sad Sorry you feel that way Michael, good luck with whatever you do in the future.

timdegroot

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:33 am

What's the point of this all without showing examples of rejections. I'd be happy to give fair comments about them as I always do, but won't reply to these so called 'petty' rejections without seeing them.

Yes we have problems here but don't think for a minute these are not being discussed internally.

I'm sorry to see you leave Mike, I have fond memories of meeting you in LGB. If the decisions is final so be it, but I'd like to see some examples...

Tim
Alderman Exit

norfolkjohn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting TimdeGroot (Reply 22):
What's the point of this all without showing examples of rejections

Tim - with respect it isn't just a matter of what gets rejected it is also about what gets accepted. It is pretty soul destroying to have a shot kicked out only to find one of the same aircraft taken at the same time but by a different photographer which is either of clearly poorer quality or which quite simply breaks one or more A.Net rules.

You may say post an example but any time anyone does that they are accused of having a go at the photographer whose shot was accepted. It's a catch 22 situation but the key thing is INCONSISTENCY.

JA

ThierryD

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 23):
It is pretty soul destroying to have a shot kicked out only to find one of the same aircraft taken at the same time but by a different photographer which is either of clearly poorer quality or which quite simply breaks one or more A.Net rules.

... and everytime one confronts someone of the screenig team with such examples (even in private mails) one gets 0 (zero) feedback! That doesn't help neither.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

norfolkjohn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 24):
and everytime one confronts someone of the screenig team with such examples (even in private mails) one gets 0 (zero) feedback! That doesn't help neither.

checkmark 

JeffM

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:06 am

What's the point of this

That is what I asked before it was removed...which might be making his point?

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 23):
It is pretty soul destroying to have a shot kicked out ...

"Soul Destroying"??? Wow.

alphazulu
Screener

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:39 am

Hi Mike,

I'm so sorry to hear of your decision to leave. Your shot have been a great asset to this site and your contribution will be sorely missed.

I'll be looking for you around the Hill and In-N-Out...then we'll talk. That's the FUN part of the whole thing... getting together and shooting with friends!

Let's turn a negative into a positive. If some change comes out of Michales departure, then his leaving will not have been in-vain.

Paul

eadster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting AlphaZulu (Reply 27):
Let's turn a negative into a positive. If some change comes out of Michales departure, then his leaving will not have been in-vain.

Why should changes happen only when someone leaves?? Many have stated their concern about the possible inconsistancies for months - Why not do something about it? We all work together here. There are ALOT of big names that are getting their backs up lately and now another big name leaving. Regardless of the amount of members here, this is always a big loss.

Lets do something NOW not later. Lets all work together to come up with a solution.

NIKV69

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting Norfolkjohn (Reply 11):

Agree 100%

I think this is complete Bullshit. So the site makes money. Who cares. Johan put in the effort and he is enjoying the rewards. The way the photos here get screened has nothing to do with money.

If you want to leave than leave, just do it quietly and without spreading the propaganda.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

eadster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 29):
If you want to leave than leave, just do it quietly and without spreading the propaganda.

Get real! This is the typical Anet attitude that HAS to stop. The guy is free to feel upset. And I get upset with people that say "piss off if you don't like it". We all get upset from time to time and this is where we should be helping each other out. Not only that, the site I feel needs to help a bit in listening to where the contributors feel uncomfortable and comeing to an agreement.

Its not that hard to make people to feel welcome instead of telling them to get lost. At this rate, Anet won't be the king of aviation sites for much longer.

pavvyben

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:25 am

find my time is to valuable and uploading good photos (that have appeared in magazines) only to have them rejected for various inconsistant reasons ludicrous.

I agree, there is alot of inconsistant screening, like others have already said, with extremley jaggy photos getting through aswell as poor quality when near perfect photos are getting rejected for nearly every reason under the sun. If this could be sorted that might be a step in the right direction.

Johan put in the effort and he is enjoying the rewards

True, but he wouldn't have this if it wasn't for photographers so maybe he should value peoples comments.

Michael, you obviously have had alot of experience with the standards of Airliners and for you to start getting rejections should be sounding alarm bells that something is changing, whether it is meant to is a different thing.

Quoting Lasham (Reply 8):
Put your feet up for a bit and see how it goes

Seems a good idea. Nothing seems to change with bullshit posts

Quoting JeffM (Reply 26):
"Soul Destroying"??? Wow

[Edited 2006-09-14 02:26:48]

ptrjong

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:34 am

Is this site moving in a business direction? I'd really hate to see this, but I'm not convinced that this is the case.

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 13):
it becomes ever more apparent (e.g.: recent acceptance of a certain accident shot which was so bad in terms of quality, motive, distance, blurry, ethics,...) that the only reason I find plausible for the shot to be accepted is making money with the news.

While I hated to see the Maltese crash pictures, I'm not convinced they were accepted for commercial reasons. A couple of weeks ago I uploaded a photo showing a 747F at the end of the runway after an aborted take-off at AMS. This was admittedly a minor incident, but the picture would still have been able to generate quite a few hits for the advertisers I suppose. However, it was denied priority screening and subsequently rejected for vehicles blocking the aircraft, nor were any other pictures of this incident accepted.

And don't we all complain of our most spectacular shots being rejected for minor flaws? It seems to me that the site is often more dedicated to quality than we like.

More importantly, I don't think that the crew of volunteers would be willing to move in a commercial direction.

Michael/Dacman and Norfolkjohn, you have not said why you are feeling that the site is on a commercial heading. Could you elaborate? It's obviously an imporant issue.

Peter Smile
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

NIKV69

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 30):
Get real! This is the typical Anet attitude that HAS to stop. The guy is free to feel upset. And I get upset with people that say "piss off if you don't like it". We all get upset from time to time and this is where we should be helping each other out. Not only that, the site I feel needs to help a bit in listening to where the contributors feel uncomfortable and comeing to an agreement.

How can you help when he takes the attitude that instead of trying to upload a better pic he wants to just leave and spread the same stupidity about how pics get screened? If you want this site to listen better you better say something better than this crap.

Its not that hard to make people to feel welcome instead of telling them to get lost.

Nobody is telling him to get lost, he has made his decision and he should just leave quietly and save the bitter sour grapes and "the underlying agenda when it comes to screening" crap. It's so lame.

At this rate, Anet won't be the king of aviation sites for much longer.

Oh Yea, I see JP and the others really gaining on it!  sarcastic 

eadster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 33):
How can you help when he takes the attitude that instead of trying to upload a better pic he wants to just leave and spread the same stupidity about how pics get screened?

Ok Point taken and a good one. I think the main problem people are having and I am one of them, is the fact we upload a shot, it has an issue which is fine, we fix that only to have it cut down for something totally different. Now that is frustrating. I can understand why people think that anet are not catering for the hobbyist any longer and have a commercial feel to the site.

But on the other hand too, the contributors to the site, have voiced up MANY times looking for answers and have received little. After time the asking politly will soon change to whinging and bickering.

Oh Yea, I see JP and the others really gaining on it!

Thats where you are very wrong - They are gaining from the bickering here like you wouldn't believe. Sure the standards a less than here but its their gain. People can only put up with so much.

But more importantly, the mentioned inconsistancies in screening. I think lately or possibly from a while ago, we've seen shots accepted when only a short time before a shot similar of our own have been booted.

I personally am seeing alot of shots accepted that I would have questioned in a big way. But thats me. I upload whatever these days as I just don't know what will win and what will loose.

MONGORAT

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 28):
Why should changes happen only when someone leaves?? Many have stated their concern about the possible inconsistencies for months - Why not do something about it? We all work together here. There are ALOT of big names that are getting their backs up lately and now another big name leaving. Regardless of the amount of members here, this is always a big loss.

Lets do something NOW not later. Lets all work together to come up with a solution.

Agreed. Glad it was Michael Carter who started this thread (former screener, over 3,800 photos on the DB), perhaps it will carry home it's intended weight and message. Things are amiss here; screening seems very inconsistent at the present time. I have managed to put over 600 photos on the DB my first year uploading. I enjoy the "challenge" of having any photo screened for acceptance, but I am becoming more and more disgruntled lately as my acceptances have plummeted from over 80% to 50% or less the past two months.

I correspond routinely with eight or ten photographers, a very small group indeed, but all of us have an uneasy feeling about the inconsistencies in screening the past couple months. More and more "A.Net" photographers are uploading at "JP." I for one would like to continue uploading here because of this site's lofty standards, but they must be within reason and applied with consistency.

What's the point of this all without showing examples of rejections. I'd be happy to give fair comments about them as I always do, but won't reply to these so called "petty" rejections without seeing them.

Tim, for me it's something less finite than an "individual" rejection on a given photo. I can't tell you how many times in the past year I would get a photo rejected (let's say for "level"). I'd rework the photo, send it back with a message to the screener saying the "level" had been corrected, and the photo would be added. Try that now after a photo has been rejected by one screener, and then it gets kicked back for being too soft. Fix that, resubmit, and then it gets rejected for "contrast." This is where it gets a bit maddening and makes me think of throwing in the towel and going elsewhere. Another example is that during my first year here I never got a single "contrast" rejection. Now I get them in waves, same for other photographers I speak with. Have all our monitors fallen out of calibration in unison, or is there a screener or two with an "eye" for such rejections???

I know currently it takes three "passing votes" for lack of a better term to get a photo accepted, unless it is an immediate "add" to the DB. I'm becoming more interested in a system of "2 out of 3" screeners in agreement for a photo being accepted, rather than one dissenting vote killing it.

A.Net is the "biggest" and perhaps the best game in town as far as an aviation photo DB, but this will not always be the case if photographers become disgruntled and unwilling to upload in the future.

-Matt L

eadster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:45 am

Matt L - Well said and that sums up what I'm trying to get at.

But this line is what needs to be addressed and quickly....

Quoting Mongorat (Reply 35):
A.Net is the "biggest" and perhaps the best game in town as far as an aviation photo DB, but this will not always be the case if photographers become disgruntled and unwilling to upload in the future.

Lets talk openly and fix this problem people... and fast.

QANTAS077

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting Eadster (Reply 36):
Lets talk openly and fix this problem people... and fast.

talk is cheap around here...we'll be back down this avenue in 3 months! good for Mike for finally saying enough is enough.

acontador

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting Mongorat (Reply 35):
I for one would like to continue uploading here because of this site's lofty standards, but they must be within reason and applied with consistency.

Being fairly new to the community (thus with very little experience), and having uploaded almost only since May this year, I can only endorse what Matthew is saying. The site lives from viewers (and therefore income through adds) and from contributors (the photographers). Any of the two missing and the site will become just an historical DB.

Folks in the crew and Johan, please listen to these experienced photographers, to whom you owe much of the success of this site. They have clearly identified the problem: reasonable and consistent screening. Now, it's up to you to find quickly a solution.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

Avsfan

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:29 am

I would like to start off by saying that I have read the entire thread and am sorry to hear that an individual who has been with the site for such a long time will not be posting any more photos. Unfortunately I would have to agree with a lot of you when it comes to screening process. Granted I have only been a member here for just about a month, and have a 100% rejection rate, I have seen where the screeners seen to be inconsistant. I appealed one of my pictures and was told that there were other problems with the photo that were not originally pointed out. I have also read other forum posts that people have complained about motive. I took a look at their photos and dont understand why the picture was rejected. One was an upclose photo of an Belgian F-16 pilot making a hand gesture. I felt that the picture was of good quality, but the screeners did not seem to think otherwise. It does seem that closeup pictures of military aircraft like that are not very common here. To me those kind of pictures definitely show action and are usually hard to get. I would rather see a picture like that instead of one taken over the shoulders of a pilot inside the cockpit of an airliner, commercial aircraft of small civilian plane.
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

dacman
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:44 am

NIKV69,

You have displayed one of the attitudes that I find most distasteful about this site......anger and downright hostility.

I made a very hard decision to stop uploading and I stated why. I don't need to display rejected photos and I am not going to say any harsh words about A.Net. It has been a great site for quite sometime but as I stated previously recent changes in screening consistency have lead me to make this hard choice.

Please respect my decision, it was not made lightly.

Thank you to everyone else for your positive replies, I really appreciate them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Michael Carter
Dacman
LAX/LGB Local

Fiveholer

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:54 am

Mike,

I completely understand the decision you have come to. It's not really even fun anymore. I don't consider myself an "A.net old-timer" or what have you. I have certainly contributed for a few years and find myself considering where everything is going. How can one drop 30% for acceptances in such a short time? I am not in such a hurry to upload shots as soon as I get home from shooting like I used to, that's for sure. Anyway...Nik, you are not even part of the crew but as Mike said. You are part of the problem, hostile and quick to jump to the defense of anything that is against this site. Always an ass-kiss. Anyway, Mike, it was nice to meet you on the Hill back in January. Maybe again another time. You shots will be missed.

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

NIKV69

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting Dacman (Reply 40):
and I am not going to say any harsh words about A.Net

Oh?

Due to the ever declining bad and inconsistent screening

Look, if you have to use the drama queen approach fine. If it was a hard decision great, but can't you just leave without firing these baseless charges? I have heard everything that people make up to try to expalin how pics are screened here. All of which are complete bullshit. Everyone seems to want to paint this site as being bad for the hobby just because they get some pics rejected that they think are great, because they are in magazines or because JP accepts them. Enough already. Take your pics and be on your way, good luck. It's not anger or hostility, it's just tiring to hear this crap all the time.

maiznblu_757

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 42):
Due to the ever declining bad and inconsistent screening

How is that harsh?  whistleblower 

If you really think that is harsh, you might want to reconsider throwing the word "queen" in somone elses direction.  cheeky 

Cathay111

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:26 pm

Look, if you have to use the drama queen approach fine. If it was a hard decision great, but can't you just leave without firing these baseless charges?

Mate, I agree with Mike and I'm sure his honest and open comments will be taken onboard by the crew. He knows the system, he knows a good shot when he takes it and he has an impressive portfolio of images online here. A lack of new shots from him in addition to these will be sorely missed.

Uploaders fear rejection more than they expect acceptance these days, therein lies the problem......

Good luck with your future photography Mike.

dacman
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:28 pm

NIKV69,

This will be the last response you get from me!

You once again have proven one of my points, out of 43 posts in this thread, yours are the only ones that are negative, and hostile.

You know, it's sad when someone won't even allow you the courtesy to make a graceful exit........WOW!

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Michael
dacman
LAX/LGB Local

[email protected]

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:37 pm

And the standards should be applied in a constant way and the standards should be pretty clear and understandable for everyone.

I think this is complete Bullshit.

Nice wording.

he wants to just leave and spread the same stupidity about how pics get screened

The big difference is that Michael has or had insight to the screening process. Something you don't have so how do you know he is spreading stupidity.

he should just leave quietly and save the bitter sour grapes and "the underlying agenda when it comes to screening" crap

Why should he do so? Because you and a few others tell him to do so? If you don't like it, don't read it. It was apparent from the thread title itself what the topic of the thread is. I dont know how it is on your side of the pond nowadays but here people a free to state their opinions.  Wink

Quoting Eadster (Reply 34):
the contributors to the site, have voiced up MANY times looking for answers and have received little.

Thats correct. But its always a problem of the attitude of some here in the forums. Sometimes a screener chimes in and gives a statement from the crew's point of view. But what happens, People start to turn the words written, around so that the debate looses its value very quickly. We all would like some answers on the questions we have but on the other hand I can understand the screening team when they don't reply as much as we all would like them to. Maybe if the forum culture would be improved a bit, and i don't address this to the moderators but more to the contributors themselves, the screeners would come into here more often.

Quoting Avsfan (Reply 39):
I appealed one of my pictures and was told that there were other problems with the photo that were not originally pointed out

Which is actually a good thing. So you could fix all the issues mentioned in the rejected appeal instead of just fixing the original one and getting it rejected in the next round for all the other reasons.

You have displayed one of the attitudes that I find most distasteful about this site......anger and downright hostility.

Quoting Fiveholer (Reply 41):
Anyway...Nik, you are not even part of the crew but as Mike said. You are part of the problem, hostile and quick to jump to the defense of anything that is against this site.

checkmark 

I have heard everything that people make up to try to expalin how pics are screened here. All of which are complete bullshit.

Yet again you are talking about things you have no idea about. Have you been in the screening team to know that this is b...... (again nasty word censored).

Everyone seems to want to paint this site as being bad for the hobby

Everyone? Are we exaggerating a bit? You are getting it completely wrong. This thread is about inconsistency mainly. Yet you would like to drive it in a different direction.
-

icebird757

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:37 pm

Look, if you have to use the drama queen approach fine. If it was a hard decision great, but can't you just leave without firing these baseless charges?

I am sorry but what rock have you been living under? Care to explain how he is using the drama queen approach and the baseless charges?

NIKV69,

I made a very hard decision to stop uploading and I stated why. I don't need to display rejected photos and I am not going to say any harsh words about A.Net. It has been a great site for quite sometime but as I stated previously recent changes in screening consistency have lead me to make this hard choice.

Please respect my decision, it was not made lightly.

I totally agree with what has been written here.
I kick chocks

eadster

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting Dacman (Reply 45):

You know, it's sad when someone won't even allow you the courtesy to make a graceful exit........WOW!

He's good like that hey!

Quoting Cathay111 (Reply 44):
Uploaders fear rejection more than they expect acceptance these days, therein lies the problem......

That's exactly it. It should not be the case when one looks at an edited pic for problems that Anet might find instead of what anet might like about it.

Michael, I've probably never spoken to you on here before but its a shame you are not contrubting to this site any longer. From what I've read and now from seeing your pics it is a damn shame that it's come to this. Hopefully things will have some sort of change now, but it is a little too late in many different aspects.

Good luck with your future photography, mate!

[email protected]

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Bullshit.

say something better than this crap.

drama queen approach

complete bullshit.

hear this crap

Maybe it's because english is not my first language or that I have a different education than you have, but I found those responses more harsh than anything you tried to put into Michaels mouth as being harsh.

To use your own words:

Take your pics and be on your way, good luck. It's not anger or hostility, it's just tiring to hear this crap all the time.

Take you unconstructive posts and be on your way, It's just tiring to read this crap all the time.
-