Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

New Guy Needs LHR Assistance

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:01 am

Hi all,

Although I'm not new as such to A.net, I have only joined today. My name is Karl Nixon, and I'm based at Manchester Airport (MAN) in the UK. I am a photographer, but I do not upload my pictures to A.net, simple reason being I am very inexperienced with Photoshop. I am one of those weird ones who likes to get the right results straight from the camera - just as well given my useless computer skills! I do submit my photographs to various monthly publications, however - at leat if there's ever any editing to do, it isn't me doing it!

Well, that's my intro over, now for the questions.....

I'm thinking of driving to LHR from Stoke in the morning. Does anyone know which runway pattern will be in use? If they use the 27s, will L be in use till 3pm? If they use 09, will it be L? Is the orchard at the 09 end still there, and if so, how do I get to it from Mrytle Avenue? Even better, are any A.netters gonna be at LHR in the morning? Maybe someone could give me a little assistance?

Cheers!

Karl

Airplanepics

RE: New Guy Needs LHR Assistance

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 am

http://www.london-aviation.com/guides/lhrguide3.htm

Temporary website for the guide, runway timetable will be up soon.
Hope this helps,

Simon

manc

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:26 am

Runway will be 27R all day for arrivals as they are doing runway work at the moment, and 27L for deps.
I'll be heading from LHR to MAN in the morning!  Wink

MattWS

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:31 am

Karl,

27L is currently in permanent use for take offs with 27R being used for landings only (winds permitting), this situation is expected to continue until late November/early December.

Looks like we could be in for easterly ops tomorrow which means you need to be at the end of 09L for approach shots, weather should be fairly sunny and warm.

Matt

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 am

Thanks guys, all help appreciated! Anyone know how I get to the end of 09L, as I'm far from local?

Karl

LHRsunriser

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:03 am

www.worldspotters.net or www.londonaviation.com I think world spotters has a overhead map. No car, no 09L spot but if your driving its as easy as getting a photo on A.net  Smile jks

Airplanepics

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:09 am

See spot 6 on that guide Karl.

MattWS

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:07 pm

The first arrivals this morning are currently landing on 09L as expected.

Matt

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Well thanks for all the info guys. I found the field at the end of 09L, although the only grassy bank I could see was that leading up to the dual carriageway at the back. Was I in the right field? There was a gap in the fence for entry with a little path going down. There was a line of trees at the back which provided shade, and other folks were parking their cars up the kerb just off the carriageway - unofficially sanctioned, no doubt! Photography from there was good anyway, although I thought the aircraft were a touch too high. I seem to remember a similar, slightly better place, which I assume was on the other side of the road, i.e. where part of T5 is now.

Had a great day, plan to go again soon! Just hope I found the right place!

Regards,

Karl