Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sleekjet
Topic Author

Panasonic Lumix TZ1

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:30 am

This camera has been on the market since March and I'm thinking of buying it for my wife. Anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?

Smalbany

RE: Panasonic Lumix TZ1

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:57 am

I have a co-worker that bought this camera. He chose it based upon size, 10X zoom and image stabilization. I tried to convince him to get the Canon S3 but he really wanted something smaller.

I've seen some of the images that he took with it. I was not really too impressed but it could be operator error as much as the camera. The zoom is impressive as is the size of the camera. The images seems to be strictly snap shot quality - good in well lit scenes but not so good in dark conditions.

If small size combined with big zoom is a priority, then it looks like this is a good camera. If you don't need both of those features at once, there are better choices.

I believe that www.dpreview.com did a full review not too long ago.

Good luck!
Dan

JakTrax

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:53 pm

It is a well-known fact that Panasonic Lumix point-and-shoot cameras suffer from very high noise levels, even at low ISOs (I think most of them go down to ISO 80). A friend of mine once had one and it was great for general and indoor use but really suffered when pointed at a plane.

Karl

aussieaviator

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:32 pm

I purchased a 'prosumer' level Panasonic "Lumix" DMC FZ30 for the express purpose of learning the 'basics', prior to upgrading to a Canon EOS400D.

I was given bad advice. I now wish I had contributed the money I spent on the "Lumix", to the purchase of a Canon DSLR or a decent lens!!

The "Lumix" produces very nice images when the subject is virtually stationary and only in ideal lighting situations. Be warned - these cameras produce degredated image quality at anything above ISO 100 and in poor light. Noise is a major issue with all "Lumix" models.

To date, I have had three photo's accepted on A.net using my Lumix. These images are of helicopters in the 'hover' and in good lighting conditions.

I intend to sell my FZ30 on eBay very soon.

Don't waste your money buying a "Lumix". Purchase a high end Canon 'point & shoot' instead. The image qulaity is simply amazing !

Cheers,

Graham Slingsby
Australia

WhyWhyZed

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 pm

I know someone who loves his Panasonic FZ20 so much that he'd defend the company until the end. He'd actually argue with me saying that the Panasonic P&S's are better than the Canon one's, more specifically FZ## vs S# IS series.

Basically what I am saying is "to each their own." What you'll like, others won't and vice versa. I recommend against the TZ1, if it's the zoom you want. Get an S3 IS, or even the Sony H2 is supposedly a good camera for it's market.

Fly747

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:05 am

I bought this camera for my wife last month and I have to say I was disappointed with the images it produces. I'm actually thinking of taking it back and picking up something else. Thumbs down from me.

Ivan

JakTrax

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:44 pm

It's not really an 'each to their own' issue here - no-one likes excessive noise in their photos and the Panasonic is guaranteed to produce this. The Canon point-and-shoot is, put simply, a better overall camera, and anyone choosing a Lumix over this (especially after reading this thread in its entirety) seriously needs to reconsider before it's too late. Having said that, you mention that the camera is for your wife. I assume she'll be using it for general picture taking as opposed to aviation photography? If so, you may just get away with it...

On a final note, I have some of my friend's example pics to hand, taken with a Lumix. If you wish me to email them to you, let me know - you won't be impressed!

Karl