Jkw777

RE: Mickey Bednar (AirNikon) Passed Away

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:13 am

I'm utterly shocked in hearing this very sad news. RIP Mickey, we will all be thinking of you and your family. I enjoyed your pictures very much, such a great loss to our community.

God Bless.  Sad

Justin
[email protected] or +447751242989

acontador

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:24 am

My condolences to Mikes family and friends in this dark hour, may they find some comfort in that Mike is now resting in peace. His love will overcome all barriers and will stay with you forever.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

gmonney

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:33 am

Wow what a shock... Mickey was someone we, as aviation photogs, could look up to. He was a great asset and was inspiring to a lot of people, we will miss him but never forget him.

RIP

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

Bruce

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:06 am

Quite a morbid thought, I know, but doesn't this seem like the beginning of a "10k Curse"? The top 2 photographers whose numbers were approaching 10k (9,935 and 9,999) are deceased, both men went way before their time too. Just an observation....

Did AirNikon have any in the queue at the time, I wonder?

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

timdegroot

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:09 am

A bit of a sick joke but the thought passed through my mind as well...

Tim
Alderman Exit

walter2222

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 am

What a sad news!

I had also been checking the photographers page lately, curious to see the number pass to 10000... I have never met or known Mickey personally, but have admired his photos and his huge contribution to aviation photography and to this site!

My thoughts go out to his family, loved ones and friends. His life was certainly too short ... may he rest in peace

Walter
Canon 347d mkII ;-) - EFS10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - EFS18-55mm - EF28-105mm f3.5/4.5 - EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6l IS USM - ...

BO__einG

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:30 am

The first pictures that I looked at while surfing the "pictures of modern airliners" back in 1996 was that of his. I still have some saved onto my hardrive even today.
A very tough day indeed, I had not realized that he was 1 shy away from the 10,000 mark. That would of been quite an accomplishment. Its quite an accomplishment to even get to 1000 photos let alone a whopping 9,999.

I spoke to him also a few times when he was in Calgary, most recently in 2005.
He will be missed but his photos will remain timeless to this site. Good to hear that alot of you guys look up to him and have utmost respect for his work as an aviation photographer. To him, it don't matter what age you are whether it be 13 or 65, you were treated like a fellow photographer and teamplayer..
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

ac888yow

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 am

I am saddened by this news. My condolences go out to those closest to him.

May he rest well.

aagold

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 am

This was indeed sad news to awaken to this morning ... the loss of another great Anet photographer and contributor. While I never met him personallly we corresponded a few times during my early days on Anet. He was helpful in pointing me in the right direction and getting me going, and I will always remember that. I'm indeed saddened that we've lost another great one from our very small community.

Art

LIPH

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:59 am

He's now in the best place for all of us : spending our lives with eyes up looking for the right moment for capture that moment, that plane, that 1/1000".
Hopefully Mickey has it now all for himself.

Regards
Life sucks. Then you die. Live fast, die young.

rg828

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:02 am

My sincerest condolences to the Bednar family, always sad to hear about the passing away of one of this site´s troops.

Its somehow odd that until today I never knew the real name behind Airnikon.
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

schreiner

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:11 am

Sad, I thank him for all he leaves here on A.net. All the best to his family and friends.

S
Soaring the internet...

Fiveholer

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:31 am

Wow, just got home from work and popped in. Shocking news! I never met the man but I have viewed numerous of his photos and the site lost a truly great contributor! Rest in peace.

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

eadster

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:31 am

A great loss. My thoughts are with his family and friends. I hope someone has permission to upload a 10,000th shot.

Martin

SkyvanMan

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:36 am

A huge loss for the aviation community. Condolenses (sp) to his family.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

Silver1SWA

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:37 am

Wow, I am saddened by this. I have loved his photos since I first found out about airliners.net back in 1998 or so. When I think of the early days of Airliners.net, I think of "AirNikon" in that photographer section under each photo.

Quoting Granite (Reply 4):
I'll miss his straight to the point mails he used to send to me.

Ah yes, straight and to the point... I communicated with him a few times back when I was young and naive when it came to aviation. He sorta put me in my place. But heck, I respected him.

Quoting RG828 (Reply 60):
Its somehow odd that until today I never knew the real name behind Airnikon.

Same here. He always seemed a bit mysterious. I think that added to the appeal.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

gerardo

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:57 am

AirNikon, one of those names, almost written in stone, which I would always run into, since I browsed the internet for aviation photos. AirNikon was just ... AirNikon for me. It's a sad moment to realize, that there was more behind that nickname.

Another name has been mentioned above: Frank Schaeffer. He and AirNikon were indeed garantors of passionate aviation photography.

Farewell, AirNikon.
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

Dazed767

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:13 am

Terrible terrible news and right around the holidays too  crying 

He was very helpful to me in my early days also when I had a question or just chat about SoCal photography and news. Just shocking, I don't know what else to say. RIP Mike.

Justin  sigh 

clickhappy

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 am

Did AirNikon have any in the queue at the time, I wonder?

No.

And I hope his slides are in safe hands, there is a lot of history there, would be a shame to see it just disapear.

Halcyon

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:25 am

He was one of the first photographers that I ever came to respect. His work was amazing...I stumbled across an old photo a few weeks ago and was going to email him. I regret that I did not. May he rest in peace.  Sad

ghost77

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:50 am

So sad! AirNikon was my true inspiration when I got involved and started on this hobby back when I was 12 years old. I also had the chance to have feedback and emails from him in the early days which as discussed above, he always said the right thing.

ghost77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

scottieprecord

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:51 am

I too had been waiting for his 10,000th photo... Many of his shots are what inspired me to really dig deep into this hobby.

I was just about to post a thread the other day when I noticed he was at 9,999...  Sad

One thing we can all be thankful for is the abundance of photos to remember him by. I've decided to put together a Memorial Photo Album dedicated to AirNikon, filled with some of his most amazing photos... Rest in peace, Mike.

-Mike

glennstewart

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:28 am

I don't think anything could have shocked me this morning more than this terrible news. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike, but as part of a screening team, Mike was both a gentleman and a quiet achiever. He screened a lot of photos, and would enter screeners conversations when necessary with the perfect amount of diplomacy and wit to put one at ease.

Rest in peace...
Respected users.... If my replies are useful, then by all means...

Cadet57

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:28 am

Dam.. I just saw this. Such a loss. I remember coming here in 1999 and his were some of the first shots I saw. An excellent photog. A great guy it seems as well. A true loss as a whole. May he rest in Peace.

May your skies be blue and winds be at your back.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

jumbojim747

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting Granite (Reply 4):
When I heard the news this morning I was totally shocked.

I cant say any more then that about how i feel.  Sad
Goodbye to a great photog
On a wing and a prayer

mygind66

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:32 am

All my condolences to the family.
Too many good people have died recently, F. Schaeffer, Lassi Tolvanen and now AirNikon....
Very sad..

Enrique

chrisair

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:47 am

Like everyone else, I'm speechless. We chatted a few weeks ago before he came out to Tucson. He was trying to buy some of my Nikon flashes for a ridiculous price ($70 per flash and "cerveza in nogales"). I was out of town unfortunately, so we missed each other.

He was a great friend whom I had the pleasure of shooting with several times down in Los Angeles, back when I was still shooting planes. We would sit in his pickup, and talk planes. He would tell stories (lots of them) about his travels around the world for DAC and his days at OC.

We both started screening at the same time, I think back around the beginning of 2002. We would often see who could get the quene cleared out the fastest (this was back when the queue would be 1,000 or 2,000 shots). It was great fun, often lasting until 2 or 3 a.m. We'd chat online and laugh at some of the horrific photos that came in. My favorite was the set of 50 flight sim screen shots. I think I ended up with 10 of them.

I'm convinced he was more than happy to stay unemployed and shoot planes and trains in some of the most godforsaken places in California all day.

He was a great guy, a great photographer, and a great friend. He'll be sorely missed.

-chris c
Tucson, Ariz.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:50 am

Very sad. Much too young to die. Condolences to his family and may he find a good spotting location up in Heaven so he can shoot away. I have loved his pictures and appreciate his time invested screening for us.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

BoeingOnFinal

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 am

This is very sad news. He have some great photos, and some great dedication to this site. My condolences to his family and close ones.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

2H4

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 71):
I've decided to put together a Memorial Photo Album dedicated to AirNikon, filled with some of his most amazing photos

Great idea, Scottie. Here's a LINK to the album, if anyone would like to see.

I love this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

A388

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:02 am

Mickey's photos were one the first photos I came across back in the '90s when I discovered airliners.net, just like it was the case with Frank Schaefer. These people were and still are the foundation of airliners.net if you would ask me. These legacy photographers will always be remembered as they were great and very devoted people here.

My condolences go out to his family, Johan and friends.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 33):
If anyone has an unsubmitted photo of his, perhaps it could be submitted on his behalf to make 10,000.

What a great photographer.

This was something I thaught of as well. Is there anyone who has Mickey's aircraft photos that were not added to the database yet? It is the least we can do for AirNikon here. Let's make this happen for Mickey....

Roger  Sad

A388

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am

Very nice album! I love the PSA photo and the UA 747SP as it reminds me of the time I went to SFO on vacation in 1984 with all the '80s airlines in the U.S.

Roger

jorge1812

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:25 am

His motto

http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=Airnikon

Don't get married, don't have kids, and you will have more money than you know what to do with...

Georg

10boomer

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:53 am

What a terrible loss, I have admired his work since the first time I found A.net. He will be imortalized by the phenominal body of work that he leaves behind. My condolences to Johan and to all of his friends and family.

[Edited 2006-12-06 01:54:46]
Fly Gucci

atct

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:04 am

I will miss Mickey "AirNikon". He was always there to help me with photography problems. He's one of the first Photographers I could name as a young aviation enthusiast. I pray that his family will be comforted, this Christmas season, in the fact that he will surely be missed by all in the aviation photography hobby. He was an inspiration and friend to us all.

-Clint
Trikes are for kids!

jetmatt777

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:16 am

A Very Sad Loss for Airliners.net, he made a great contribution to this site, He will be missed, let his name be remembered on this site forever. You had a great run Mickey, Good-bye, you will be missed.

Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

LFutia

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:01 am

Indeed a very sad loss to Airliners.net. My condolences to him and his family. May he live on, watching us from the sky knowing that he is smiling down on us photographers.

Mickey, cleared for takeoff, Runway 36, keep runway heading, climb and maintain 9,000 speed is at your descretion.

Leo
Leo/ORD

hawaiian717

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:12 am

I actually remember seeing his photos from before Airliners.net existed, on AOL's aviation photos section. I've been aware and enjoying his work for years, maybe exchanged an email or two with him back in the day, but I don't think I've ever met him. He will be missed.

- David

san747

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 am

How sad to hear! I was always a fan of his works, and he really did commit himself to aviation photography- look at many of his shots. He is a lot of times the first or only photographer on A.net with shots of an airport or reg.

Interesting to me as well is that his last shots were last month at French Valley (F70) in Temecula, CA, a hometown airport of mine I am quite familiar with. Overall, very sad loss, and he and his shots will be sorely missed!
Scotty doesn't know...

Mr Spaceman

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:55 am

Hi there.

I want to express my deepest sympathy to Mickey Bednar's family & friends who are going through a very sad time right now. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

May you Rest In Peace AirNikon.

Thank You, for sharing your beautiful love of aircraft with us through your photos.

Chris.
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Shep

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Last time I talked with him - via email - he was pumped up about a trip he was taking to shoot planes and trains - about six weeks ago. He was excited about shooting in his words - "some odd-ball stuff". Planes and trains - that's what he's known for on the internet.

Five years ago we were chatting on IM and I asked him if he took photos of anything other than airplanes. He sent to me photos of street life in France, Germany, UK and a few others that I remember. Great photos they were - and he laughed saying - you think all I take pictures of is airplanes?

I remember it now as if it were yesterday. When someone is gone - they are out of this world. I wish I would have saved the non-aviation pics he sent me that night while we were chatting. I might have a few on my old computer. I'll have to take a look.

Big thing is - he is no longer here. He was a great fellow. He always answered my e-mails. He would answer within a day or so. When a photo of mine was accepted at a little airport near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - in the acceptance e-mail I would sometimes receive a message from the screener - something like this - "my grandfather and I used to go fishing at a lake near there - grandma would pack us some Isaly's ham sandwiches and we would eat them for lunch."

I always enjoyed reading a comment from Mike. He told me he grew up in the Pittsburgh area and now I appreciate those words from him more than ever...

GuitrThree

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I've got a feeling that those "Google Earth" shots are going to get a lot better, now that he's "upstairs" taking photos.

Thanks for the photos. RIP.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

AirMalta

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Very sad news which in my field were I work I dont have any word to express my feelings may he rest in peace...
Malcolm

YYZatcboy

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Farewell... and Many more Happy landings.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

lemonkitty

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Mickey..You will be missed!!!

LK
I met my wife on Airliners.Net!!!!

Bruce

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 68):
And I hope his slides are in safe hands, there is a lot of history there, would be a shame to see it just disapear.

This brings up a very good point, especially for photographers who have very large collections - which includes some photographers here as well as people who just keep shoeboxes full of slides in the closet. People need to have arrangements made for who will be the contact person and/or the "handler" of their photos once they are deceased. Other people in your family might not understand how important your photos were to you, or the historical significance of old airliner photos, and they might be tempted to purge that old stuff or in the case of online photos like here, they would be abandoned. I think it would be a good idea to designate a friend or relative to be the guardian of your collection both online and offline. With the explosive growth of aviation photography in the last decade (thanks in part to this site and the works of Mick) a lot of people might overlook the fact that their photos may very well outlive them.

Bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

Granite

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:21 pm

Message from Craig Murray:

"I'm shocked and deeply saddened with the passing of Mickey (AirNikon).
Having lost my spotting mate, Frank Schaefer, two and a half years ago
I feel deeply for Mike's family and those that he would regularly meet
to photograph and talk aviation with.

Having been with this site a very long time AirNikon is as well known
as airliners.net itself! He has presented some marvellous images
documenting some historic moments in aviation. The controlled crash of Boeing
720 N23 at Edwards AFB to test a new anti-misting kerosene fuel is just
one of those moments he captured.

He will be well remembered for his work here and elsewhere on the net,
and his work elsewhere is so diverse I wouldn't even start to list it!

Farewell mate, be sure to have a beer with Frank for me.

You'll see nothing but blue skies from now on.

May you Rest in Peace."

Craig

dee-see-eit

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:51 pm

My sympathies and thoughts to all the a.net community, family and friends of Mike. During my time as a screener here his comments and opinions have always been of utmost importancy and respect.

He will always be remembered and his work should stay with this site for ever.

Have a nice flight, Mike!

Marlo

airbusfanyyz

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm

A big loss to Airliners.net, even bigger one for his family.
My condolences to his family.
Rest In Peace...

Kaz

FYODOR

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:12 pm

Long, true and good way has finished...

Rest In Peace...