miamix707

RE: Mickey Bednar (AirNikon) Passed Away

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Tameteora (Reply 15):
hope to get there! I LOVE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed he did, I once emailed him back in 2001 as I used to always check the latest Miami airports uploads and found a batch of photos he took in Opa Locka of rudders, detached aircraft parts and other junk laying around.. plus some propeller vintage stuff. I guess it bothered me so sift through all of that so I emailed him to stop overloading the site with "junk" lol. I think he replied some of the shots, at least the warbirds had some kind of importance.

Back in 1997, when I started to look at airliner photos on web under the AOL categories, I remember most of the shots said 'AirNikon'. I imagined he was much older since he had so many interesting old-school pictures. I must have a good number of his shots saved in floppy disks.

It's great that he got to do what he loved in his short stay, we're only here temporarily anyways. Hopefully he's now in the good place enjoying how much better it must be!

By the way, anyone knows who's AVIONFOTO? Between them and AirNikon, they had many of the photos that were on the web back then.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:55 am

AVIONFOTO was not one person.

AVIONFOTO was something like Air Team Images, before Derek was born.

AVIONFOTO was the brainchild of Jay Selman, who is currently my boss (read: editor) at Airliners magazine.

Other names you might recognize would be Joe Pries, Andy Hunt, and Rob Rindt.

Another piece of trivia, Rob has the first shot accepted on A.net, PhotoID 0000001

miamix707

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 101):
AVIONFOTO was the brainchild of Jay Selman, who is currently my boss (read: editor) at Airliners magazine.

Interesting, I've met some of the famous then  

[Edited 2006-12-06 18:14:54]

VivaGunners

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:07 am

Very sad news.
From what I heard he was a great person, not just a great photographer, but life isn't always fair, is it?
Thank you very much for all the nice pics you shared with all of us on A.net...
RIP
Any ideas for a signature?

clickhappy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:27 am

I wanted to add one more fact...Mike screened more pictures than any other screener in the history of A.net, and I am guessing it will be a long time, if ever, before someone beats his total.

If Frank C. Duarte Jr. keeps uploading at his current pace he will pass 10,000 photos sometime around August or September of next year.

lemonkitty

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:28 am

And..Don't forget folks...Mickey also loved trains and bikini contests!!! Here is a link to his famous bikini contest website!!! You go Mick!!!!

LK

http://members.aol.com/airnikon/bikinis.htm
I met my wife on Airliners.Net!!!!

AC_B777

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 am

God Bless Mike. May you rest in perfect peace.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

OD720

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:04 am

Very sad news indeed.
With the quality of his work, he will be remembered for a very long time, maybe for some generations to come.
But I don't think that's any compensation to his immediate family members and friends. Those who cared most will feel the great loss of their loved one. My condolences goes to all, specially to those who will miss him for a very long time or maybe as long as they'll live.

May he rest in peace.

davestanKSAN

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:21 am

Sad Very sad to hear this news. I've never had the pleasure of talking to Mickey, but I've enjoyed his amazing contribution to this fine site. He was truly an icon. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. May Mickey be at peace now, and have clear skies forever.

pray 

Thanks Mickey for everything.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

b727

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:21 am

Well, He has earned his wings and is above, in heaven, he will be missed. Thanks for the many photos, my he rest in peace.

B727
Glenn

Goodbye

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:42 am

When I joined A.net almost 6 years ago, his photos were some of the first I saw, and since then I have always loved his pics.

Will be very sadly missed by the whole community...
✈︎

APP

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:35 am

Just returned from holiday to this sad news,
My thoughts are with his family and friends.
His photo's are inspirational and he will be sorely missed by us all.
R.I.P.

Chukcha

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:08 am

My condolences to his friends and family. Rest in peace...

BA

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:42 am

This is very sad news. I remember when I first visited Airliners.net back in 1999, I viewed many of his photos. About 6 years ago, I remember emailing him, but I forgot exactly what about. I wish I kept the email...

This was his website:
http://members.aol.com/airnikon/morepics.htm

May he rest in peace...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

miamix707

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 pm

I remember his website, especially the section about the 4 holers not in the boneyard  Smile Too bad the links don't work anymore.

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 104):
If Frank C. Duarte Jr. keeps uploading at his current pace he will pass 10,000 photos sometime around August or September of next year.

that's another photographer that has an AMAZING collection. Everytime I see one of his shots I have to click on it to make it larger. Excellent rare old school stuff he uploads!

I didn't get to see most of the same long gone aircraft/airlines in person, but I can imagine the nostalgia others who did, experience when they view these pics  cloudnine 

tappan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Mickey, loved your photos...never knew your real name..
Peace be to his family and to his extended family here at a.net...
Johan, sorry for your loss...
Mark Garfinkel

KPDX

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Awww thats sad and unexpected! I admired his photo's, I wonder how/why he passed away so young. RIP Mickey  Sad

KPDX

SlamClick

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting BA (Reply 113):

Is it just at my end or are most of the links on that page broken?

That was a special website. Through it I got back in touch with a long-lost inlaw, a pilot at one of the defunct but fondly remembered airlines.

The circles are small.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AndyEastMids

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:00 am

What a very sad day for aviation photography.

Mickey, we'll all miss you in various ways, be it through your screening, your pictures, your corresponding with us, or yourself in person... My memories of our meetings in SoCal - dinner one time, photographing on others - will be preserved through your pictures. So long friend...

Andy

aeromoe

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:11 am

For those who never met AirNikon and would like to put a face to the name, I've just started posting some images on a personal page dedicated to AirNikon. This is legit...I was a personal friend to Mickey and last time we spent some time together was just 6 weeks ago during his trip to Arizona for the Goodyear airshow and some railfanning with me.

http://www.geocities.com/~aeromoe/AirNikon.html

If nothing else, maybe seeing AirNikon in his prime will help provide some closure and maybe bring a smile to your face.

Rest in Peace Mick...you were a unique friend with a heart of gold and an unequalled sense of humor. I'm honored to have stood by your side at the airports and railroad tracks we visited. And I'll never forget our Reeve L-188 trip in 1999.

God bless you...Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Dehowie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:38 pm

Another great loss to our small community.
Two amazing photographers passing in a short period of time really makes you make a major reality check as to what really is important in our relatively short lives.
Like Frank his photos will stay on as a testament.
another massive loss.
Deepest sympathies to his family

Darren Howie
2EOS1DX,EF14.2.8LII,17TS,85/1.2,16-35L,24-70LII,24L,70-200F2.8LII,100-400,300/400/500/800L

Granite

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Moe

Thanks for posting that.

I had a look through some of my screener mails from Mike for funny comments and came across this one when I moaned at him for screening and passing some images with visible dust on them:

'I really feel stoopid! For all this time I thought it was just 'sneeze splatter' on my monitor'

Smile

That made me smile!

Cheers

Gary

airbusA346

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 pm

RIP Mickey.  Sad

Quoting Granite (Reply 121):

rotfl 

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

KaiGywer

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:39 am

Even though I never had any contact with you (unless you screened some of my pics), you are one of the top photographers on this site  Smile

Kai
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Scooter

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:52 am

Wow. Just wow.

AirNikon was the guy who inspired me to start taking pictures back in '99. He has been a great influence on me, and he will always be remembered.

Godspeed Mickey.

:-(
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

norfolkjohn

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:59 am

There is little I can add to what has already been said about this tragic loss.

In common with many of those that have already posted messages of condolence I did not personally know Mickey. I can only salute a kindred spirit and sincerely hope that he is now in a place with constantly blue sky and a never ending procession of interesting aircraft on approach.

RIP AirNikon

John
One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.

jajo

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:14 am

I've looked through almost all AirNikons pictures. He was a fantastic photographer and it feels sad not to see any more pictures from him.

Rest in peace!

draigonair

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:24 am

Sad to hear this...  Sad
And how ironic he has 9,999 photos in database.

Regards and condolence to his family..

Nick
cheers

JayDavis

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:42 am

I never met the man either, but he did have some incredible images.

After reading through all of these posts though, I still do not see any mention of how he died? Was it sudden, was he sick for a long time and just didn't tell anyone?

What a tragic loss and especially at the Holiday Season.

He will be remembered for a very long time. I would also like to thank those above for the memorials and links they have made for AirNikon. I enjoyed viewing them.

I don't know, maybe I am different, I think it would be rather cool to see his uploads remain at 9999. To me, that would be a lasting legacy, instead of 10,000 with one he truly didn't upload. Just my two cents.

Stealthz

Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting JayDavis (Reply 128):
I don't know, maybe I am different, I think it would be rather cool to see his uploads remain at 9999. To me, that would be a lasting legacy, instead of 10,000 with one he truly didn't upload. Just my two cents.

You know, I think I am with Jay on this, 9,999 .. leave it at that, a reminder that Mickey left us before his time!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

i530j

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:41 pm

Wow
RIP Mickey your photos will be missed. And the ones already in will be greatly appreciated. I loved all of your photos, maybe you can teach god how to be a great photographer like you.  crying 

Cheers,
Justin
"I love you, I love the kids..." then the phone went dead.

philhyde

Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Aeromoe (Reply 119):
For those who never met AirNikon and would like to put a face to the name, I've just started posting some images on a personal page dedicated to AirNikon. This is legit...I was a personal friend to Mickey and last time we spent some time together was just 6 weeks ago during his trip to Arizona for the Goodyear airshow and some railfanning with me.

Aeromoe, thanks for posting that link. Very nice to put a face with the name I've respected for years.
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

aeromoe

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 pm

"After reading through all of these posts though, I still do not see any mention of how he died? Was it sudden, was he sick for a long time and just didn't tell anyone?"

This past Monday, I received the phone call about his passing. Tuesday the initial email I received says he passed away from cardiorespiratory failure. He was found last Friday at home in So. Cal. by a former boss, a friend who hadn't heard from him for an unusually long time.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Kereru

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 129):
You know, I think I am with Jay on this, 9,999 .. leave it at that, a reminder that Mickey left us before his time!

Speaking here personally I agree it would be a fitting reminder of his early departure.

He was a great help to many people in many ways with many of us having never met or seen him. Sad to say we have seen images of him now after this sad event. Much appreciated Moe to put a face to the name. Thanks.

Colin
Good things take Time.

brian_ga

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:09 am

I loved to look at AirNikon's photos also. It is a sad loss for his family and for the Airliners.net family also.

May he rest in peace.

Brian_ga
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

A388

Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:56 am

Thanks for posting the link Moe. It is nice to be able to put a face to someone familiar. It is very sad to see such a great photographer and person pass away. It appears Mickey had a true passion for every aspect of photography. It is nice to see someone with such devotion to the hobby of photography. We will miss him...

A388

digital-cavu

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:57 am

What an incredible loss. Everytime I would find a great picture, I'd look to see who took it. And not surprisingly, his name was on so many.

Del
United States Navy submarine sailor turned aviation photography geek.

bigphilnyc

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:03 am

I really couldn't believe this when I heard. I hadn't been online in a few days and spoke to some people who told me, and it just made no sense to me.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. He is certainly a man that no one here will forget.

As for the "9,000+ Shooters Curse", I think it's that God needs some great photographers up in the heavens.

RIP Mickey Bednar,

-Phil Derner, Jr.
Phil Derner Jr.

aeromoe

Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:18 pm

All - as tough as it's been on so many people this past week, it has been my distinct pleasure and honor to be able to post some photos of Mickey for you all to see. I'm receiving more via email from his closest friends and I hope to have them posted in the next couple of days.

As I said in some of the comments on the page I posted, Mik had a heart of gold and would help anybody who asked. I'm glad to have called him my friend.

Moe

Superfly

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 am

Very sad to hear this.
We are all greatful for his wonderful contributions to this site.

R.I.P. AirNikon
Bring back the Concorde

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:55 am

Very sad news indeed. His photos formed a backbone and baseline for the collection in this website. He was clearly dedicated to our hobby and our addiction to airplanes. Yet, since he shared his vast collection of photos with us, his legacy will remain for us to enjoy and learn from.

apuneger

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:43 am

Sad news indeed. I've never had the opportunity to meet Mickey, but like many others I've always admired his work and his passion for aviation photography....My sincere condoleances to his family and friends.  crying 

RIP Mickey

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

s.p.a.s.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Sad loss indeed...

Worse is that with so many as***les around in our hobby, just the good and nice people seem to leave us earlier than expected.

RIP Mickey

RS
"ad astra per aspera"

skyhawk62507

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 am

Damn... I only had one correspondence with AirNikon, when I asked his permission to use one of his photos on aero-news.net. He was very gracious in granting permission.

R.I.P.

Rob Finfrock

tappan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:52 am

All should check out the very beautiful tribute to Mickey from his friend Philhyde...I know the link has already been posted, but here it is again for those who have not seen philhyde's tribute...
Mark Garfinkel

TACAA320

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting Tappan (Reply 144):

Really nice and deserved tribute. May his sole rest in peace. Sad
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ukair

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 am

Sorry to hear the sad news, about the 9,999 issue I would like to see a poll for his last published photo, just my two cents worth.

tim

Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:42 pm

Johan et al,

RIP to AirNikon.

AirDentist

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:59 am

May GOD's light shine on you and heart felt condolences are extended to your family and friends.