Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ThierryD
Topic Author

"stop Wasting Screener TIME."

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:30 pm

To the history:

A few days ago there was a thread from a photographer asking for help to edit one of his shots. As I was quite confident about the quality of the photo I gave it a try and uploaded this edit to show it in the thread:
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...oastair-twinotter-cfgqe-01edit.jpg
At the time I had no other easy possibility to upload a photo so I just did it via the A.net upload function. I did that several times in the past and always deleted the given shot before it got screened. Nevertheless I always gave a quick note to the screeners to please not screen that picture.
Same this time. I mean there are at any time dozens of shots left in the queue so I don't see the issue in having an extra one.
During the writing of this post the screening is at date 21-22 December so normally it would take 2 more days before the mentionned picture (uploaded on the 24th) would be screened.
Now some busy screener got his hands on it already anyway and apparently didn't care to know why I uploaded a shot with the comment "Do not screen" and a photo on which (as you can see) is a double copyright bar.
The only thing I got is: "SO WHY UPLOAD!! STOP WASTING SCREENER TIME."
and of course a -2% in my acceptance ratio.

I'm not a pro-screener basher but this buddy clearly adopted the wrong tone.
If you (the concerned screener) run into such an issue why not just ask gently what the matter was (is) or in the worst case say nothing at all?
I truly believe that I've done and do A.net some good with my contribution and I really don't have to put up with that kind of remark.

So I truly hope we can clear that up and that such free and unnecessary insults won't happen again.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

eddl

RE: "stop Wasting Screener TIME."

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Are you serious? There are dozens of free image hosting sites around, so ... stop wasting screener time!

Phil / EDDL

bmibaby737

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:16 pm

I agree that you are a very helpful and willing member of the forum and provide alot of help to those whom need it, however it has to be ask - why not use the function in your Profile, Thierry?

ThierryD
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting EDDL (Reply 1):
There are dozens of free image hosting sites around, so ... stop wasting screener time!

First I'd have to find one that is reliable, then I'd have to register and upload the shot and find out how to correctly link it to the thread.
Why make it complicated when it can be easy!?

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 2):
why not use the function in your Profile, Thierry?

I reached the upload limit there and I still need the pictures uploaded there.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

cosec59

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:54 pm

And sometimes certain members of the screening team wonder why they are given a hard time!
There was absolutely no need for the rude comment.
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

acontador

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi Thierry,

Try http://www.imageshack.us/ , it is reliable, gives you all the link codes for easy copy-paste, and it's free.
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!

Halcyon

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:15 am

I agree that you are a very helpful and willing member of the forum and provide alot of help to those whom need it, however it has to be ask - why not use the function in your Profile, Thierry?

Quoting BmiBaby737 (Reply 3):

Why post this twice!?! STOP WASTING MEMBERS' TIME!!!

Just kidding.  Big grin

Quoting ThierryD (Thread starter):
The only thing I got is: "SO WHY UPLOAD!! STOP WASTING SCREENER TIME.

Whether they were right or not, common decency seemed to be lacking. Maybe the screener was having a bad day?

Take care,
Lucas

eddl

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):
First I'd have to find one that is reliable, then I'd have to register and upload the shot and find out how to correctly link it to the thread.

You consider the a.net upload interface as easy? You should really check out some hosting sites or even get your own webspace for a few bucks a month.

For me using the a.net upload queue as free webspace is rude. The screeners are having a hard time to get the queue down. Uploading a picture into the screening queue with the comment "do not screen" is like putting a garbage can out on the day the garbage gets collected with a note "leave waste here". Kind of stupid ... no wonder the screener asked why you did this.

Then you bash the screener for being rude.
(in Germany we say "wer im Glashaus sitzt sollte nicht mit Steinen werfen" ... you'll get that one).

This is just my personal opinion and has nothing to do with me being crew.

Have a nice weekend,
Phil / EDDL

[Edited 2006-12-29 17:19:45]

AirMalta

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting EDDL (Reply 8):
The screeners are having a hard time to get the queue down.

It has always been like that and will continue to be....

Malcolm Wink

picturethis

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:21 am

Hmm, to purposely pluck the photo out of the queue 2 days early when it was going to be removed anyway seems a bit silly to me.

Comment should have been something like "Don't upload photos which aren't to be screened here".

I know the screeners have to put up with a lot but there are surely some standards of general decency to be attained to when dealing with uploaders - whatever they have done.

I've always had good experiences with screener feedback so this appears to be a one-off and hopefully will stay that way.

PictureThis  Smile
Make sure they know we're playing the game, but we don't need to play the game because we've already won the game.

JeffM

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting EDDL (Reply 1):
There are dozens of free image hosting sites around, so ... stop wasting screener time!

why not use the function in your Profile, Thierry?

Quoting Acontador (Reply 6):
Try http://www.imageshack.us/ , it is reliable, gives you all the link codes for easy copy-paste, and it's free.

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 7):
STOP WASTING MEMBERS' TIME!!!

Quoting PictureThis (Reply 10):
to purposely pluck the photo out of the queue 2 days early when it was going to be removed anyway seems a bit silly to me.

Ditto

eddl

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 4):

When I see this I am happy there is an upload limit .......
https://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...4919&filename=1146566084HXFMQy.jpg

Phil / EDDL

raptors

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting JeffM (Reply 11):
Ditto

I see you are really on form today JeffM, what a contribution
 Yeah sure

I guess ThierryD gets the idea by now, but perhaps a polite message from the screener in the first place rather than an aggressive one could have saved this entired thread being posted!

Stuart  Wink
SSC/B11/146/AR8/AT7/A30/A81/AB4/6/310/318-321/332/333/343/346/388/703/722/732-9
74L/742/744/74E/74X/752-3/762-4/772/773/77W/77E/788-9/170/190/CR7/CR9/TU3/TU5/T20/IL8
IL6/IL7/I93/DC3/DC8/9/10/M11/M81/M82/M83/M90

prat

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:13 am

Thierry's intentions were good, just not the best way to do things! Thierry I'd be more than happy to hook you up with some hosting space where you can host as many pictures as you damn well please! Fire me an email and I'll get it set up.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Dan

cosec59

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Raptors (Reply 13):
but perhaps a polite message from the screener in the first place rather than an aggressive one could have saved this entired thread being posted!

yes 

ThierryD
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 5):
There was absolutely no need for the rude comment.

checkmark 

Quoting Acontador (Reply 6):

Thanks for the info Andres!

Quoting EDDL (Reply 8):
You consider the a.net upload interface as easy?

Yep!

Quoting EDDL (Reply 8):
You should really check out some hosting sites or even get your own webspace for a few bucks a month.

I have an own hosting site but it was not working by the time I posted the shot.

Quoting EDDL (Reply 8):
For me using the a.net upload queue as free webspace is rude. The screeners are having a hard time to get the queue down. Uploading a picture into the screening queue with the comment "do not screen" is like putting a garbage can out on the day the garbage gets collected with a note "leave waste here". Kind of stupid ... no wonder the screener asked why you did this.

Why would it be rude as a contributor to this site to use a few KBs of A.net's webspace to show a photo trying to help out another A.net contributor; it's not as if A.net was running low on webspace...  Yeah sure
I have absolutely no problem with the screener asking me why I did it but I do have a problem with the tone in which he articulated it since as a German you should also know the saying: "Wie man in den Wald ruft, so schallt es wieder heraus." and since I don't insult other people here I expect them to do the same in return!

Quoting AirMalta (Reply 9):
It has always been like that and will continue to be....

checkmark 

Quoting PictureThis (Reply 10):
I know the screeners have to put up with a lot but there are surely some standards of general decency to be attained to when dealing with uploaders - whatever they have done.

checkmark 

Quoting EDDL (Reply 12):
When I see this I am happy there is an upload limit .......
https://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...y.jpg

I used this picture to illustrate a thread here on A.net and trying to bring some humour into it; that's definitely more then some A.net crewmembers can say of themselves!

Quoting Raptors (Reply 13):
perhaps a polite message from the screener in the first place rather than an aggressive one could have saved this entired thread being posted!

checkmark  Exactly, cause I consider my time as being precious too and don't like it being wasted but sometimes one just has to put things straight again.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Eduard

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:27 am

Hi Thierry and all

Why not upload to myAviation.net ??

greetings, Eduard
new user is EchoMike

ThierryD
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting Prat (Reply 14):
I'd be more than happy to hook you up with some hosting space where you can host as many pictures as you damn well please! Fire me an email and I'll get it set up.

Thanks for the proposal Dan; I hope your photo makes it through the screening! It would be a nice addition to the db.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

jajo

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Eduard (Reply 17):

Because that would make the upload permanent. This thread is about how to temporarily store images.

/ jajo

CalgaryBill

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting EDDL (Reply 7):
You should really check out some hosting sites or even get your own webspace for a few bucks a month.

Hey Thierry, don't forget that most internet access packages like Cable and DSL include free webspace from your provider. Since they usually host it in house the uploads are very fast, and it's tied to your internet account so you don't have to remember yet another username/password.

B

Stealthz

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 3):

Really, you have something like 6 photos there, they must be very large which seems a waste as they will only display at a certain size anyway!

Admitted the screeners response seems harsh but then if they were tired after devoting some of their holidays to getting our queue down it is kind of easy to see how they might be a touch irritated.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Eduard

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting Jajo (Reply 18):
Quoting Eduard (Reply 17):

Because that would make the upload permanent. This thread is about how to temporarily store images.

At myaviation.net you can delete photos (OK, I have never tried that, but there is a function for deleting own photos)

regards, Eduard
new user is EchoMike

Jaspike

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Eduard (Reply 21):
At myaviation.net you can delete photos (OK, I have never tried that, but there is a function for deleting own photos)

That's right, but MyAviation.net is not to be used as a temporary image hosting site.

Tom
MyAviation.net

Garri767

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:43 pm

There are many reliable , free, photo hosts that you dont have to register for . all you do is hit browse, select your file, and poof, your link appears  Wink

here are a few off the top of my head -

www.Imageshack.us
www.Filecabin.com (good for originals, uploads huge photos)
www.mega-file.net
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

[email protected]

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Thierry you are really a bad bad boy. How could you expect a shot uploaded without priority to be not screened until the time has come to do so.
Really really bad behaviour from your side which has to be punished.
/sarcasm off
-

eadster

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Why not ask people to host images for you? Some of us have our own sites. I would have been glad to help you out there.

unattendedbag

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 pm

www.photobucket.com is my favorite.
Slower traffic, keep right

ThierryD
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Ok, now one day has past and the second picture in the queue from Dec. 24th is still not in screening, leaving me to believe that the screener in question deliberately chose to waste his time by "screening" this one picture.
Hence I conclude that he must have had some boring free time on his hands if he starts such action and thus this whole "Stop wasting screener time" is complete nonsense.  banghead 
As I got no answer of any kind from him this further leads me to think that he's not interested in clearing up the "misunderstanding".

If the concerned screener really has nothing better to do in his free time than insulting other regular and allegiant contributors to the site he should really rethink his dedication to the site!

Hoping to spare myself such useless and unnecessary comments in the future!

Cheers,

Thierry

P.S.: thanks to you guys for hosting tips; I've now resolved my hosting trouble by getting my own site back online.  Smile

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 24):
Thierry you are really a bad bad boy. How could you expect a shot uploaded without priority to be not screened until the time has come to do so.
Really really bad behaviour from your side which has to be punished.

Wink Yeah, I know I'm a fool, but an honest and fair one and that's the way I expect to be treated!
"Go ahead...make my day"

TACAA320

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting EDDL (Reply 7):
"wer im Glashaus sitzt sollte nicht mit Steinen werfen"

English please!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting ThierryD (Reply 27):
I know I'm a fool,

Wrong. You're not.

an honest and fair one and that's the way I expect to be treated!

We all deserve to be treated that way!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

cosec59

Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:51 am

leaving me to believe that the screener in question deliberately chose to waste his time by "screening" this one picture.

That is pathetic and petty on behalf of the screener

NIKV69

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting EDDL (Reply 1):
Are you serious? There are dozens of free image hosting sites around, so ... stop wasting screener time!

checkmark 

There are many photogs waiting to get their pics screened. Got to be a little more considerate.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

cosec59

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 31):
There are many photogs waiting to get their pics screened. Got to be a little more considerate.

Agreed. So why did the screener in question go out of his way to pick out the photo DAYS ahead of it's turn for screening?

sulman

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 32):
Agreed. So why did the screener in question go out of his way to pick out the photo DAYS ahead of it's turn for screening?

At a guess..

A screener read the thread Thierry mentioned. They observed that it was in the upload queue (redundantly), found it, and rejected it.

Better ways to handle it, but such is the soap opera that is a.net.

James
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

AirMalta

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:50 am

What a headache to come to a conclusion here!!
Malcolm laughing lol

codeshare

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:10 am

So let's just everybody chill, and get ready for the New Year celebrations and champagne Big grin

KS/codeshare
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

bigphilnyc

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:26 pm

Why make it complicated when it can be easy[.......]

"......by simply abusing a loophole inthe upload screening process!"

I think it's blatant abuse. The upload queue is not menat for that, and as far as I'm concerned, it's theft of webspace and very unethical.
Phil Derner Jr.

ATCme

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 28):
English please!

If you live in a glass house don't throw stones.

As for the rest of this thread it has been resolved so I won't comment.

ATCme spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

[email protected]

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 32):
So why did the screener in question go out of his way to pick out the photo DAYS ahead of it's turn for screening?

Maybe to show that he is such a tough guy. Who knows
-